Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2007, 03:10 PM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ordered the Dorian system yesterday from Rv cams.Got the 4 monitor system because that is all we could afford right now. Tim said they will "program" the system before they ship so all we will have to do is install them. I will feel better with the system installed.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:45 PM   #22
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Got ours today also, the Doran of course. Will install over the next week or so. We pick up our Monty tomorrow and off to driving school then off to Mil campground for the weekend, then start travelling on Tuesday. Spent 3 1/2 hours on walkthru today. Nary a thing wrong, everything seems to work. Oh, the awning has some holes in it that they did pulling into service bay, they are replacing. One electrical outlet plate missing. Stain on carpet to be cleaned by them. Other than that, good to go. Build date of Mar 06. Will keep very close eye on all systems..........
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:51 AM   #23
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Rich, I'll be curious to know how they pre-programmed your system. With mine, I had to program each sensor to the unit based on the tire pressure in the tire at the time of installation. My instruction booklet says that any sensor removed from the tire will drop its program after a period of time, about one hour if I remember right.

Also the outside temperature at the time of your installation will affect your operation. Our Silverado tire pressure is 80 psi. The temperature at the time of our installation was in the mid 60's. Now in the morning, when the outside temperature is below about 50, all tires sound a low pressure alarm. Driving a couple of miles heats the tires up, builds psi and shuts off the alarm. The way to avoid this is to correct tire pressure to 80 psi on a cold day and reinstall the sensors.

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:20 AM   #24
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DonandBonnie

Our Silverado tire pressure is 80 psi.
Curious but why 80 psi? The door jam on my 2007 Classic says 70 front and 65 in each of the duals.

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:05 AM   #25
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Thats the first thing I did before driving the Chevy Classsic. Took the Pressure Pro monitors off the Kodiak 4500 and installed them on the O7 Chevy. I am a firm believer, in the Pressure Pro system. We have 10 sensors and the monitor. They are expensive but so is your TV and 5er... GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:47 AM   #26
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
I did not look inside the door. Our General tires are stamped for 80 psi. Wonder if you might have a different brand?

FYI, Doran changed there web site. They used to have a place to locate a local dealer. I can't find that area on the redesigned web site.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:38 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There are two in Ohio that I know of(rv upgrades is one of them,) but if you live in the State you will pay sales tax..You can buy direct from Dorian or RV cams for the same price. I was not able to find the 4 monitor system for less that 390.00
Old 05-24-2007, 05:25 PM   #28
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BirdingRVer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DonandBonnie

Our Silverado tire pressure is 80 psi.
Curious but why 80 psi? The door jam on my 2007 Classic says 70 front and 65 in each of the duals.

Grant, the psi numbers on your truck door jamb are the ideal for handling (per the manufacturer). But you have to remember that when you're towing your rig you are loaded. All the tire manufacturers have the max cold pressure noted right on the tire. Mine are also 80 psi and since I'm towing most of the time, I leave the four on my truck and the four on the rig at 80 psi (cold).

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:23 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
received our Doran tire pressure monitoring system.. the system is pre-programmed as to which sensor goes where and the sensors are so marked.The programming procedure is outlined on Page 8 of the manual. Rv cams said that some folks have a problem with that set up procedure so they will do it for you if requested. I figure that I fall in the "some folks" category.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:02 AM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well we installed the Doran Tire pressure Monitor system today.Tim at Rv cams had pre-programmed it for me as he stated that the programming procedure was apparently hard to understand and resulted in many consumer complaints and returns on systems were there was nothing wrong with them.. All I had to do was power on the monitor, screw in the sensors and we were good to go.. With the Rv cam and the tire monitoring system we feel a lot safer on the road. Lets see...V tailgate, Bedsaver, Rv cam,tire pressure monitor system, Don't know what else we can do???....With all the electronics in the cockpit, CB, GPS/PC, Backup cam monitor, Tire monitor...I almost feel as if we are back at work at the systems status display console.,
Old 05-31-2007, 11:51 AM   #31
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Rich, same problem here with electronics in truck. Haven't decided yet on where to hang the Doran. Any suggestions anyone?
Old 05-31-2007, 04:18 PM   #32
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Mine sits just to the right of the drivers knee on the center console. Small strip of Velcro is all it takes.... GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:09 AM   #33
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Rich
We use the pressure monitors on all the tow vechicle tires and trailer tires.

Don said good idea to get metal valve stems for the tire monitors. We changed all the valve stems to metal.

Best to take them off in winter or when letting trailer set for long period of time. Although we have not done this.
Doran has said the batteries last longer by taking them off. Cost $25 per battery. You have to send in the little tire things and they install new batteries.

Our monitor sits on the passenger window visor.

Rich..
You should get the locks on the tire thingies. This keeps them from getting lost or someone taking them. They come off with an allen wrench. We have those too.

We have never had to purchase or use an extra antenna.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:15 AM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thanks for the tip on removing the sensors.
I did not hard wire mine in so that power is applied at all times. Doran said that the basline PSI is not affected by power on /power off..only when removing and re installing the sensors. It is kind of crowded in the F-350 but we found a spot for it..
Old 06-13-2007, 07:11 AM   #35
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Rich, I installed my Doran system before leaving Anchorage. Yesterday my alarm went off and I watched my left rear Monty tire go from 80 down to 58 psi before I pulled off to check it. Sure enough, I had picked up a very sharp rock in a rest area and I could feel the air escaping. The Doran did it's job and I was completely happy with it. Had to change a tire on the Monty on the side of the road and had the tire repaired in Haines Junction, Where we are staying right now. The only problem is that the rock was lodged between the tread and the sidewall. I had the repairman put the spare on the chrome rim and then had the tire repaired and placed as the spare until we can get somewhere to buy a new one.

All in all, was pleased with the Doran. I don't know when I would have noticed the tire was flat, possibly AFTER damage had occurred??????

My hats off to Doran.

BTW: I ended up velcroing mine to the dash just above left knee....

Phil
Old 06-13-2007, 09:14 AM   #36
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Great example Phil. In all probability your loss of pressure if not detected would have acted like a blowout when it became low enough to separate from the rim and caused much damage. The Doran system is a good investment for the traveler.We noted on this 800+ mile first leg of our journey the variance of tire temp under differing outside temps and speeds.We also can tell that the base line tire pressure (80psi) has not varied by more than +- 1 psi on the four camper tires. One of our pre trip checks is to check the tire pressure via the Doran monitor.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:27 PM   #37
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Doran pressure pro has saved us damage too. Last year the alarm went off and one trailer tire was losing pressure. We found we had a staple in the side of the tire. We aired the tire enough to get someplace safe to change it. Didn't save the tire since it was in the side wall but prevented damage to Monty.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote