Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2007, 02:19 AM   #1
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
GM Truck and 3400RL

The trucks and hitched are different. As you can see in these pictures my set up is totally different than Brad's is with the Ford
and I bet it is still different with a Dodge. I think you will find that depending on how the hitch is mounted and the type of truck and hitch will determine where the kingpin sits. Mine sits about 2 inches in front of the axel. Dealers will tell you that you don't need a slider with the new front cap but beware. Look at these pictures a tell me what would happen if I did not have a slider hitch. I am turned about 80 degrees. I am 10 inches from the cab and the slider has moved 13 inches. Also if I could have helded the tape to the front while taking the picture it would have been even closer.

http://i5.tinypic.com/440gfh3.jpg
http://i9.tinypic.com/29ayaf7.jpg
http://i15.tinypic.com/2vazivo.jpg
http://i18.tinypic.com/2vd5ouq.jpg
http://i7.tinypic.com/3y87qpt.jpg

1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:15 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good pictures, Dennis. I see you have the automatic slider (nice). I think you're right that each setup is different. On longbed trucks, what I've read says position the hitch so the pin center is 2 inches forward of the axle. For shortbed trucks it can be as far aft as directly over the axle centerline, but no farther back. Mine is right over the axle, giving me a couple more inches of room.

Without the slider, I could not turn 90 degrees nor as sharply as those with the longbed. I don't want to mislead anyone about that. However, I can turn plenty sharp for anything I've ever had to do. Your point is a good one, though. It is still possible even with the new nose to crash cab to FW if one tries to turn too sharply and dips a wheel in a hole. It is a whole lot less likely with the new nose than with the older one but it is still possible. The new nose just gives us a lot more maneuverability without need for the slider. But it is not the same as with a longbed.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:29 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dennis,

Thanks so much for taking the lead on that and posting the pics. Just from our conversations I knew there must be quite a few diffences between Ford and Chev as far as height of tailgate, etc.
Most of the hitch questions coming up are folks with new GMC/Chev TVs, and I didn't want them to be misled by my Ford pics.

The only difference I see that bothers me the most is my Ford is parked in the snow, and your Chev is parked in green grass and flowers!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Since we'll be in the market for a truck this summer, what exactly are the differences causing the problems? We'll probably go for a shortbed in either the Ford or the GMC. Shortbed being the one that's about 6 1/2 feet long. I've read that in the lighter GM's there are three beds and the 6 1/2 footer is the "standard bed." Is that true of the HD's, too? So 6 1/2' is what I'm thinking. Same as we have now.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:31 AM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Steve, on the GM Crew Cab the short bed is 6 1/2 or the 8 foot long bed. You are correct there is 3 lengths on the light trucks. On the Light Crew Cab the short bed is 6 feet.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:28 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Dennis. We'll go for a crewcab in the HD in the GMC or F350 in the Ford. I appreciate the info.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:44 PM   #7
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Thanks, Dennis. We'll go for a crewcab in the HD in the GMC or F350 in the Ford. I appreciate the info.
Steve, I recall you saying in an earlier post you were considering GM and considering moving up to a one ton. Keep in mind GM does not offer SBs in either one ton, the SRW or the dually. If you get a one ton GM, it'll be a LB.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:49 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the info, Bert. Yes, it will be a one ton. I got the 3/4 ton only because I could not find a one ton SRW Ford with cab/bed/colors/etc we wanted. The 2005's were new and selling out as fast as they came in. So I went ahead with the 3/4 ton after realizing it had higher ratings than my 2003 F350 tradein. So I actually took a step up, but not as far as if I'd gone 1 ton.

Shortbed is desirable for us although perhaps not absolutely mandantory. We like to go offroad on some of the not-too-difficult trails and explore some of the backroads and the longer turn radius and length might have some impact on that. Plus, parking. This 4x4 turns more sharply than the 4x2 (Fords, that is) and is not too bad for parking, although it's still parking a big truck.

I appreciate the info. I was not aware of that.