Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2021, 06:03 AM   #1
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Slide Problems?

I crawled underneath both the LR/Dinette and kitchen slide and noticed a difference in the spacing between the cylinder inner and outer nuts on either side of the guide tube “L” brackets. The nuts on the kitchen slide have about a 1-2” gap between the inner and outer nuts on either side of the “L” bracket, but the inner and outer nuts on either side of the LR/Dinette slide “L” bracket are tightened completely against the “L” bracket. The Lippert manual calls for 2”-3” space between the inner and outer nuts which allows that much free travel. With the nuts on the LR/Dinette slide tight against the “L” bracket, no free travel exists.

The first picture is the LR/Dinette slide and the second picture is the kitchen slide.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I want to make sure I know what I’m talking about when I take it back to the dealer again for adjustment. Also when retracted, the fender skirt on the front of the slide overlaps and rubs the short section of skirt that is attached to the wall, and there is a 3-4" gap between the slide aluminum skirt and the rear stationary aluminum skirt, so it appears the slide is shifted too far forward. Plus none of the decals line up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lr_dr.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	8193   Click image for larger version

Name:	kitchen.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	8194  

Old 01-07-2021, 06:04 AM   #2
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Sorry about the sideways pictures, I did not roll the Montana on its side to take them.
Old 01-07-2021, 06:35 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
If your slides are working properly, open and close, and the rubber seals seal tight, and this is the way it was set from the factory, I would not mess with anything. Leave it if everything is working fine. Don't fix stuff that's not broken, or it will be broken and then you'll really have problems.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:56 AM   #4
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
If your slides are working properly, open and close, and the rubber seals seal tight, and this is the way it was set from the factory, I would not mess with anything. Leave it if everything is working fine. Don't fix stuff that's not broken, or it will be broken and then you'll really have problems.
The slide nylon guides were replaced at the factory (Rally last year) to stop the loud metal to metal screeching sound when extending/retracting. They left a gap at the lower rear slide that I didn't notice when we left. I took it to the dealer to adjust earlier this year. So it has been adjusted twice from the original factory settings. It slides in and out ok, but again is going in too far. It shouldn't rub a hole in the carpet where the carpet is pinched against the island, so I rightly or wrongly consider it broken.

Thanks
Old 01-07-2021, 08:12 AM   #5
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Page 15 of this Lippert hydraulic slide out link will expla8n how to properly adjust your slides .

It is an easy process and if you have basic mechanical skill sets you don’t need an RV Tech and certainly not a dealership service center to make these adjustments

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001617.pdf
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:16 AM   #6
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Slide alignment

While we are talking about slide alignment - have you looked at how your gears are aligned? I posted these pics and asked questions about a year ago - mostly just being curious. My slides still go in and out, and snug up correctly with no apparent problems, but I wish there was an easy way to adjust and keep them in alignment. Also - in the last year or so I have noticed that my dining table slide has "drifted" slightly toward the front and a corner barely nicks the fender skirt. Wish I could make some small adjustment and get it re-centered...but re-alignment is evidently a big job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-01-07_7-27-57.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	8195   Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-01-07_9-04-43.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	8196   Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-01-07_9-05-27.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	8197  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:20 AM   #7
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Page 15 of this Lippert hydraulic slide out link will expla8n how to properly adjust your slides .

It is an easy process and if you have basic mechanical skill sets you don’t need an RV Tech and certainly not a dealership service center to make these adjustments

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001617.pdf
Thanks Chuck, I do have that manual and have looked through it, that's where I mentioned the 2"-3" Lippert free travel spec. But the slide seems to be out of adjustment in all 3 directions. So I'm concerned that something has shifted. Our camper has been in the same campground this whole season, just moved from site to site (two week maximum stay per site), so I hasn't been beaten on rough roads.

Thanks
Old 01-07-2021, 08:28 AM   #8
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
While we are talking about slide alignment - have you looked at how your gears are aligned? I posted these pics and asked questions about a year ago - mostly just being curious. My slides still go in and out, and snug up correctly with no apparent problems, but I wish there was an easy way to adjust and keep them in alignment. Also - in the last year or so I have noticed that my dining table slide has "drifted" slightly toward the front and a corner barely nicks the fender skirt. Wish I could make some small adjustment and get it re-centered...but re-alignment is evidently a big job.
Thanks Mike, in your last picture, my fender skirt on the slide overlaps the short piece of fender skirt by a good inch. I will take a look at the gear packs. At the rally last year, the factory did pull the slide to replace the nylon bushings inside the rail housing and also replace the aft gear pack. Does yours screech when extending/retracting? Looking at the first picture it looks like your rail is shifted to the right. The nylon bushing that they replaced on mine are inside the square housing that the rail goes into. Perhaps the bushing on the right side is worn or missing. I'm probably wrong, but something to think about.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:50 AM   #9
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
No screeching sound for now - but my unit has been parked next to my house for a year now (due to the covid stuff). I have operated the slides here from time to time - but probably much less than if covid had not happened and we would have continued taking vacations and short trips.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:06 PM   #10
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
...we would have continued taking vacations and short trips.
Not to hijack the thread, but if you are working form home, why not take the camper out, find a campground and park it for awhile.

That's exactly what we've done. It took us 9 months to finally figure this out. When both our companies shut the doors and said, no one in the building any more, work from home .... indefinitely, (or until further notice), we finally decided to take January 2021 and head out, with work computers on-board.

So, here we are in Alabama for the month at a private campground, enjoying sunshine and MUCH warmer weather than yuckie Indiana right now. We connect our company laptops to the company every day, adjust for the 1 hour time change.

Why not!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:54 PM   #11
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Dutchmen - all fair and good points! Believe me - we have talked about doing just that! Frankly DW is more worried about COVID than I am. When we get our vaccines we might be working out there as you suggested. I appreciate the encouragement.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:06 AM   #12
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Looking at your first pic again and the slide out simply IS NOT adjusted correctly. There has to be some play in between the nuts to allow for proper movement and such.. If that is how its adjusted then its adjusted incorrectly and you may have other issues at play

The "Off Center" should be easy to correct if you loosen the correct bolts on the two plates and position the slide out for centered location. May take two people to move slide sideways to obtain proper clearance from side to side
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:05 PM   #13
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
After several years of use I noticed that my LR/DR slide was not pulling in all the way on the front edge and further investigation revealed that the slide had migrated about 1.5" toward the front of the rig. I had two problems. 1) the drive shaft connecting the driven pinion gear to the passive pinion gear had split on the driven end. That meant that the rear of the slide would move long before the slack in the split shaft was taken up and the front started moving. Solution-remove the drive shaft and have it repaired to make it more robust. Then replace the rollers and pinion gears with the newer kind that wear better. 2) The slide was not centered in the opening in the RV. The instructions in the Lippert slide out manual worked perfectly to center up the slide and get it working well again. If you have some tools and some mechanical ability, you can save a lot of money vs. taking the rig to a shop and when you get done you'll know it was done right. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:34 AM   #14
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Looking at your first pic again and the slide out simply IS NOT adjusted correctly. There has to be some play in between the nuts to allow for proper movement and such.. If that is how its adjusted then its adjusted incorrectly and you may have other issues at play

The "Off Center" should be easy to correct if you loosen the correct bolts on the two plates and position the slide out for centered location. May take two people to move slide sideways to obtain proper clearance from side to side
I think we have come to the same conclusion. Shifting the slide vertically/horizontally is fairly straight forward and am not too concerned with these adjustments. But the jam nuts on either side of the hydraulic cylinder "L" bracket has me concerned. Is this what the tech had to do to get it working properly, or did he just not know what he was doing? Right now I'm slammed at work, so will be 2-3 weeks before I get back on it. Don't think I can mess it up any more than it already appears to be so am going to try to adjust it myself. I have the pictures documenting how it is presently.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:51 AM   #15
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by laverdur View Post
After several years of use I noticed that my LR/DR slide was not pulling in all the way on the front edge and further investigation revealed that the slide had migrated about 1.5" toward the front of the rig. I had two problems. 1) the drive shaft connecting the driven pinion gear to the passive pinion gear had split on the driven end. That meant that the rear of the slide would move long before the slack in the split shaft was taken up and the front started moving. Solution-remove the drive shaft and have it repaired to make it more robust. Then replace the rollers and pinion gears with the newer kind that wear better. 2) The slide was not centered in the opening in the RV. The instructions in the Lippert slide out manual worked perfectly to center up the slide and get it working well again. If you have some tools and some mechanical ability, you can save a lot of money vs. taking the rig to a shop and when you get done you'll know it was done right. Good luck.
I had the same issue after the factory worked in my slide, and was really disappointed with them leaving it like that. I talked to the factory repair supervisor and he sent me instruction on how to adjust. It showed propping up the slide with it extended about half way, dropping the gear pack, manually adjusting to where both sides were extended the same and then reinstall the gear pack. You basically had the same issue of the gear packs not being synced properly due to the connecting shaft issue. This adjustment is what I took it back to the dealer to repair and I printed out the email from the factory and the adjustment procedure. I don't know if the adjusted using the procedure or went in a different direction. But am pretty sure it is not adjusted correctly now.