Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2020, 02:46 PM   #21
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Lots of information on this website. https://www.facebook.com/gotsolarins...MDM1NDI4NDU%3D

It is Brian Boon’s Facebook page but I am sure he has a website. He sells and installs Solar, he also helps people with their solar problems.
Happy and safe roads to you.

Tom Marty

Old 05-29-2020, 04:03 AM   #22
gregg-bean
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10647
Thanks for the info. We have a local dealer so I'll make a call see what the deal is. Thanks again to all!
gregg-bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:48 AM   #23
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Left out of the equations on the economics of solar is the hidden savings. True you'll need a pretty elaborate setup($$$) to run A/C and gennies will work, but they are noisy. But the cost can be recouped fairly quickly depending on your usage. Part of the recouping comes from savings while boondocking... usually zero per diem costs(or close to it) in a boondocking site vs 40 or 50 dollars per night at a FHU CG. (60 days of boondocking a year, just 5 days a month, could save you 2500 to 3000 dollars annually in CG fees alone) Gennies will be lower cost upfront, but cost more as time goes by. Solar is pretty much free after the initial costs depending on what type of batteries you get and the quality of the equipment you buy. Also while in boondocking locations what you typically do costs less than being in FHU CGs with nearby local attractions that can drain your wallet quickly but these are choices you can make so there is some flexibility on your spending patterns. Then there is the reduced cost of fuel and maintenance on a genny(when equipped with solar) plus you can get by with less genny when you are properly solar equipped for your usage requirements. Soft starts for A/Cs cost about 300 dollars to aid in equipment costs that would be required without them.

Sure, a well set up Solar Installation can run you 10K or even more, but you can recover that cost in less than 3 years with a minimum of discipline. Solar is relatively low maintenance and low cost after the install, so once you have saved your initial outlay you also gain the freedom to choose what you want to do when you want to... boondock or FHU or somewhere inbetween... your call. THe choice for solar is more about lifestyle than it is about economics for most people.

One down side is using lithium batteries. They are very expensive and unless you are fulltime, that makes them hard to justify otherwise. Their greatest benefit and one that should matter to all full time RVers is the weight savings. This cannot be understated. When LIFePO4 batteries weigh less than half similarly capable AGM or LA batteries you'll understand the value they truly represent. When full timing CCC is everything, Especially for full time RV applications.

Just my two cents.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:41 AM   #24
Jeff03

M.O.C. #26240
These are the guys you want to call if you want a professional custom built system for your specific needs. They work with Jaboni the official Keystone solar partner. It wont be cheap but it will meet your performance expectations.
https://www.fsi-solutions.com/contact-us
Jeff03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:21 PM   #25
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
While LiFePO4 are far more expensive at the time of purchase when you amortize that cost over the life of the battery, cycles....they are actually very attractive with regards to cost. But here is the best part of all, the entire cost of your solar installation including ancillary equipment and labor is eligible for a federal tax credit of 30%. Let that sink in a minute. That could significantly offset your costs.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:50 PM   #26
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
While LiFePO4 are far more expensive at the time of purchase when you amortize that cost over the life of the battery, cycles....they are actually very attractive with regards to cost. But here is the best part of all, the entire cost of your solar installation including ancillary equipment and labor is eligible for a federal tax credit of 30%. Let that sink in a minute. That could significantly offset your costs.
Down to 26% for 2020 & it must be your “main home” according to the form.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:00 PM   #27
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
“The federal solar tax credit has been extended to 2021 to further solar adoption across the U.S. It enables a greater number of homeowners to install a home solar system since they can apply this incentive to reduce their overall cost“
Old 06-03-2020, 02:16 PM   #28
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
“The federal solar tax credit has been extended to 2021 to further solar adoption across the U.S. It enables a greater number of homeowners to install a home solar system since they can apply this incentive to reduce their overall cost“
You are correct, but it is only 26% for 2020. 22% for 2021.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:00 PM   #29
Rollinspo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
If you are out boondocking during hot weather others will be running their gennies so don't worry about that. For great info, find a RV solar dealer near you, give them a call for an appointment to come in and get an estimate to find out what you need and,the cost. It will take a lot of guess work out of getting your solar "knowledge".
Not sure what the differences are between a 3811MS and a 3812MS but we love our 2019 3811MS. For one thing I'm 6'4" and don't need the height in the bedroom. That headroom is better used in the living area. The mid-bathroom is a very good size. Everyone has different likes but I think you will like the MS in front.
Rollinspo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:05 PM   #30
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollinspo View Post
Not sure what the differences are between a 3811MS and a 3812MS but we love our 2019 3811MS. For one thing I'm 6'4" and don't need the height in the bedroom. That headroom is better used in the living area. The mid-bathroom is a very good size. Everyone has different likes but I think you will like the MS in front.
3810 has front window & couch with rv refrigerator
3811, as you know, has front window& couch with residential refrigerator
3812 has front closet/no window with rv refrigerator
3813 has front closet/no window with residential refrigerator
Old 06-03-2020, 05:14 PM   #31
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
26% of 13,000 is over 3000 dollars off your taxes next year, and you can carry over the left over if you have any. Straight up tax savings. For us full timers our RV is our primary home so no issue there.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
Old 06-03-2020, 05:20 PM   #32
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
That’s awesome for full timers. Doesn’t do us part timers a bit of good, unfortunately. Even so, the remaining $10k is hard to swallow unless you’re independently wealthy.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:46 PM   #33
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
We've boondocked a ton using one battery and one Honda 2000. Admittedly a second battery would have helped at times. It all depends on where in the boonies you stay. We go where noise isn't an issue. The genny sits in an open sided box I made that protects it from weather and directs noise away from camp. If we stayed where noise is an issue then solar would be an option albeit an expensive one. It just depends where one wants to camp and the price you are willing to pay to do it.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:14 AM   #34
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N OH View Post
That’s awesome for full timers. Doesn’t do us part timers a bit of good, unfortunately. Even so, the remaining $10k is hard to swallow unless you’re independently wealthy.
It’s been my experience that most people that own 5th wheels are fairly handy or learn to be with regards to fixing and maintaining their purchase. While you can spend far in excess of 10k for a retail installation by no means is that a necessity. There are a plethora of technical resources available to even the novice. There are outlets for bothe surplus and used items that can save someone willing to do their leg work crap load of money. For example purchasing used LiFePO4 prismatic cells from medical equipment for 50 cents on the dollar. Those cells can have 80-90% of their life remaining.

Facebook alone has about a half dozen solar groups that have members at the ready to help one another.

A significant system can be assembled and installed for less than 1/3 of the 10k figure quoted. I know I did it.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:33 AM   #35
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
PNW Fireguy, were you still able to collect the tax credit by DIY install? I have heard that the install has to be done by a professional.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:25 AM   #36
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Yes I was, however I had a bit of a unique scenario as I am in the professional electrical industry.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:59 PM   #37
gregg-bean
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10647
How do I get info on roof center to center measurements? Asked Keystone got No reply.
gregg-bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:25 PM   #38
gjennings
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22840
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
PNW Fireguy, were you still able to collect the tax credit by DIY install? I have heard that the install has to be done by a professional.
I did the solar on my house last year myself and was able to take the Federal and my States credits. I was even able to add labor cost to it as well. I just installed the solar on my 5th wheel this year and will do the same except for State it was one and done but I can use the Federal still. Just don’t charge a ridiculous amount for labor. I don’t know what Federal website I read it on but the info is out there.
Not full timers yet but soon
gjennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:57 AM   #39
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
Here is a thread of my solar install on a 3160RL. https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=67103
If I did it over today, I would probably do 3-4 Battleborn LiPo batteries and a hybrid inverter (probably Victron 3000W Multiplus or the Magnum 3000W) and Victron 712 monitor. Victron gear has a very good Bluetooth phone app for monitoring and control. In addition to Brian Boones facebook group, there is a DIY RV Solar group that has the full spectrum of installs including full up dual AC capable systems. As far as roof dimensions, you pretty much have to crawl up and measure it. Making cardboard cutouts the size of panels helps with layout too.

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote