Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2020, 01:09 PM   #1
Barefoot Bill
Established Member

M.O.C. #22623
Replacing DOTRC17B Microwave

Has anyone had experience replacing the Dometic (LG) DOTRC17B microwave with a different unit with same physical dimensions?

Background:

Our 2010 3400RL has the Dometic DOTRC17B microwave/convection oven. DW intended to use it as a timer for 75 minutes but accidentally hit MELT instead of START. We should have reacted more quickly to the smells of frying plastic but didn't. So, eventually the internal 20 amp fuse blew. (Only thing in the microwave was a plastic plate cover which melted into a flat disk.) I replaced the fuse and tried to run normally with a cup of water. The normal hum was replaced with a harsher sound and, after a few seconds, the fuse blew again.

I'm figuring something major is wrong and probably not worth trying to get it repaired. And I don't think this model is available any longer, so I'm considering what to do.

We don't use the convection oven mode, so I'm looking at a $150 microwave at Home Depot. It has essentially the same dimensions, but has different installation wall mounting hardware. I'm concerned about how much difficulty I will have installing the new mounting bracket, which is intended to be secured to 2x4 studs or to drywall with toggle bolts. I'd appreciate any advice.

Barefoot Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 02:32 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I just replaced our Fridgidare microwave/convection oven with a Samsung microwave only from BestBuy. Instead of hitting studs for the bracket on the original unit, they just had five or six screws holding it into the wall board. I think they tend for you to hit studs, because in a house you will have sheet rock, but in our rig with over 65,000 bumpy miles, the microwave never came loose. I had to remove the original bracket and install the new one about a 1/4” higher on the wall. The hole for the cord was close enough but the holes for the screws through the cabinet above were wrong, so had to drill new ones. Except for dropping the old unit on the concrete outside, with me loosing my footing and going for a tumble, we managed to get the new one installed and it’s working great, and has a bit more watts than the old one.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 05:44 PM   #3
Barefoot Bill
Established Member

M.O.C. #22623
Thanks Bob, that's about what I figured. And thanks for the suggestion of Samsung at Best Buy. I have ordered the 1.7 cu.ft. for delivery on Saturday. Then we'll see how the installation goes.
Barefoot Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:20 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Just make sure you have help. These things are awkward in the tight space of these rigs.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dotrc17b, microwave