Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2020, 05:59 PM   #21
Kentgarbett@gmail.com

M.O.C. #24437
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
This topic has came up many times here. A conventional long goose neck is not recommended. The frame on these campers aren’t strong enough to support the additional torque that long hitch adds to an already marginal front frame.
I think it will void your frame warranty.
Lynwood
Have a friend owns repair shop in Texas, when I pulled my 2019 3761 fl in he said get rid of that gooseneck. He called a top dog with Montana who told him he was correct. After battle with dealer who wanted to know who we talked to replaced with 5th wheel at no charge. My buddy told me Montana has paid him a bunch on frame damage.

Kentgarbett@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:36 PM   #22
Richcart
Established Member

M.O.C. #22427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentgarbett@gmail.com View Post
Have a friend owns repair shop in Texas, when I pulled my 2019 3761 fl in he said get rid of that gooseneck. He called a top dog with Montana who told him he was correct. After battle with dealer who wanted to know who we talked to replaced with 5th wheel at no charge. My buddy told me Montana has paid him a bunch on frame damage.

I have the Reese Goosebox and at last year's MOC rally it was confirmed with Lipperd during their seminar the Reese was acceptable as it doesn't stress the frame. I swapped mine out when we bought our Monty so I only have experience with this set up but I love it. It is very smooth towing. I too swapped out the air relief valve with a plug. The new Gen 2 Reese has solved that air leak problem as well as has more adjustments to get it a little higher from the sidewalls of the bed.
Richcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:41 AM   #23
steiny93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17461
I don't know what the current state of what is or isn't allowed.

But...

I would highly recommend getting it in writing (email / letter / whatever) stating that a hitch change to the trailer is all goodness with the frame warranty. I say this as when we were buying our current Montana we were going down the gooseneck route, the dealer as all about it, claiming they had everything locked and loaded with Keystone. On a whim right before the purchase I called Keystone and they forwarded me through to the frame manufacturer and nope, not an approved change.

I don't believe the dealer was trying to deceive, rather I don't think they ever asked the appropriate questions.

my 2 pennys
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:05 AM   #24
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
I checked with both Keystone and LCI about using a Goosebox Gen 2 on my 2020 MHC 381TH. Keystone responded and does not recommend any additions or changes to their products. However, LCI responded that changing to a Goosebox would not affect the warranty.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:50 AM   #25
CLM
Established Member

M.O.C. #23679
I installed the Gen2 20K Reese Goosebox on my 2020 3120RL. After 13,000 miles of use over the winter I am VERY impressed with the ride plus the added benefit of having a wide open truck bed! I have had no air leaks as reported to happen on some Gen 1 units. I tow with a 2020 3500HD GMC single rear wheel short box.
CLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 02:31 PM   #26
russgarrett
Established Member

M.O.C. #24049
I have a 2019 f250 Platinum with the puck. I purchased the Andersen to connect to the Gooseneck ball. Have not had to use it. After purchasing it it seemed so simple and light weight I have been hesitant to use it without safety chains. I bought it because the 2007 Montana bumper is too low. Hope Andersen will lower front end more than the B&W which I could not install by myself. I know my apprehension is unfounded but it's just not sturdy as a 5th wheel hitch
russgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:47 AM   #27
fleeb1
Established Member

M.O.C. #29563
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLM View Post
I installed the Gen2 20K Reese Goosebox on my 2020 3120RL. After 13,000 miles of use over the winter I am VERY impressed with the ride plus the added benefit of having a wide open truck bed! I have had no air leaks as reported to happen on some Gen 1 units. I tow with a 2020 3500HD GMC single rear wheel short box.
Hey CLM! I have a 2021 GMC 3500HD Single rear wheel with the Short Box (6'10") and have a 2022 3121RL on order so basically the exact same setup as you. I am really looking at putting the 20K Reese Goosebox on once we get the trailer home, would be curious if you could let me know how this set up has been for you, IE how many degrees can you comfortably turn, at what point do you risk hitting, any issues with the set up no that you've had it for a while etc etc

Just trying to get first hand experience with the set up before getting my trailer so I can start to finalize some of my plans

Thanks in advance!
fleeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 12:10 PM   #28
Mike4956
Established Member

M.O.C. #29938
Looks like this post is from about 6 months ago, but I'd like to here how it's working out also. I'm heading to VA from Texas in 4 weeks to pick up a 2022 295rl with my 2016 Ram 2500 Cummins. In my garage is a gen 2 20k goose box that I'm putting on it as soon as I get there. Word on the street is, no problems with the warranty, fantastic pulling, and the bed is open. I'll try and post my experience after everything goes through.
Mike4956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 05:41 PM   #29
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Mike as long as you are using a Reese Goose box you will be good but if using any other gooseneck hitch, you had better check with Keystone and Lippert on whether they will honor the frame warranty. They both have sent dealers memos that if any Keystone Montana with the Lippert/LCI frame (which is all the Montana's have) come into the dealers with frame flex and they have a gooseneck hitch other than the Reese Goose Box the frame warranty will be null and void and they will not pay for any work being done on the frame for repairs.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:17 PM   #30
fleeb1
Established Member

M.O.C. #29563
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleeb1 View Post
Hey CLM! I have a 2021 GMC 3500HD Single rear wheel with the Short Box (6'10") and have a 2022 3121RL on order so basically the exact same setup as you. I am really looking at putting the 20K Reese Goosebox on once we get the trailer home, would be curious if you could let me know how this set up has been for you, IE how many degrees can you comfortably turn, at what point do you risk hitting, any issues with the set up no that you've had it for a while etc etc

Just trying to get first hand experience with the set up before getting my trailer so I can start to finalize some of my plans

Thanks in advance!
I did some Searching, for anyone curious and found this other post by CLM which answers many of my questions. If you go to his post history you can see his other comments about the Reese goosebox which are incredible helpful

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...01#post1173101
fleeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 04:29 PM   #31
CLM
Established Member

M.O.C. #23679
I tried answering you in the private mail with pictures but it seems that I am doing something wrong. I'll try to answer your question here. This setup works great. Lots of clearance above the rail (5-6" or so) and with my 2020 single rear wheel GMC short box I can turn almost 90 degrees. I'm unable to attach my images for some reason so email me at colinm at gambit dot ca if you'd like me to email them to you.
CLM is offline   Reply With Quote