Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2005, 02:43 PM   #1
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Checking Tires on Dually

Ed wants me to ask those of you who have a Dually, how you check your tires and put air in them. This is the first time we have had a Dually and he is having trouble putting air in. He is very, very particular about tires so we need a solution. Is there a special tool? Thanks for your help.
Happy trails....................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 03:06 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sue..welcome to the club of those who bought a dually without thinking about how in the ^&*%$##@ do you get air into the inside dually.The scabies are just healing now on the backs of my hands.First you can get a long weird shaped tire guage at your local auto parts store and you can also buy at the same store a flexible extender valve that fits on the inside valve and extends out to the outside dually. The extender kit is not cheap. You would think that they would tell you when buying the truck that there was no way to check air in the inside dually.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 03:19 PM   #3
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We used the valve extenders, as Rich suggested, on our motorhome that had duals on the back. Worked fine.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 03:24 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dave..We do not have any storage units that long around here, wish we did.Must be a lot of room in front of that unit to get that Cambridge in..looks like a tight fit anyhow. What is the size of the storage unit.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:12 PM   #5
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
I use extenders like it said above.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 04:15 PM   #6
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Rich,
The storage unit is 50 feet deep, 14 feet wide and has a 14 foot door opening. I have seven feet of storage installed behind the Cambridge. This is in a complex of 150 units varying from 35 feet deep to 65 feet deep intended for RV Storage. The complex is set up as a condominium so we each own our little piece of realestate.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 05:19 PM   #7
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Sue; Tell Ed to get a long truck tire gauge. It will have a double headed chuck on it so you can check inside and out side tires on a dually. Also, most truckstops have air hoses with that type air stem.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:43 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We had the extensions installed. Not terribly expensive. But you still need the tool that Bob Pasternak was talking about. It allows you to reach behind and check. We also purchased a small electronic gage. It is small enough to reach between the wheels and check.

We also have the RS infrared device that measures heat. We use that to do a comparison test of the tire temps.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:51 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob Pasternak

Sue; Tell Ed to get a long truck tire gauge. It will have a double headed chuck on it so you can check inside and out side tires on a dually. Also, most truckstops have air hoses with that type air stem.
This is what I meant..Think I picked it up at auto zone.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:55 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dave e Victoria

Rich,
The storage unit is 50 feet deep, 14 feet wide and has a 14 foot door opening. I have seven feet of storage installed behind the Cambridge. This is in a complex of 150 units varying from 35 feet deep to 65 feet deep intended for RV Storage. The complex is set up as a condominium so we each own our little piece of realestate.
Dave
We do have one of those nearby but the deepest unit is 36 feet but with the door down about 35 feet, a little short for a 3670rl. Anyhow if all goes well we will not have a winter storage problem.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:52 AM   #11
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Sue try www.getaguage.com One of the most important things is getting an air guage that is accurate. These gauges come with a life time warranty. Those guages that you get at THE AUTO PARTS STORE if you check are not very accurate, I bought four (4) just for the heck of it and all four gave a different reading...

It is very important to get guages you can trust... Check with Mr. Kerry Shipman and he will fix you up. Tell him I sent you!!!!

It's a USA company!!!!!!!! See You Later John & Christa Hogan (aka Hemlockusa)
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:11 AM   #12
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...N=86+7372&Ne=2

Sue try this link for Northern tools. If I copied it correctly it should open a page for a variety of air gauges. I would reccomend the Milton brand as they have probably been around longer than most. The long truck type with dual valves is what you will want.

To those who use a compressor at home they also make an air chuck in the long dual type.
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:09 PM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Thanks everyone. We've saved all the information. Ed does use a compressor so we need to get something that he can use that with. He ended up going to a tire place and they had trouble also. That didn't make us feel too good. We may go back to the dealer and talk with the service guy and see what they say.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:42 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
When I found out I could not check the air on the inside duallys I went to my Ford dealer and asked the service manager how do I do that..he said..I don't know..we asked one of the mechanics..he said,,that's easy we take the wheels off..I said..that's not going to work so I went to my tire guy and he said..oh that's easy..we take the wheels off..he then sent me to a auto/truck parts store and they said..oh that's easy just take the wheels off..then he laughed like crazy and got me that funny looking tire guage and the valve extensions..then he asked me if I had a Dodge and I said no I have a Ford and he said..that's good because these won't fit on a Dodge dually and you would have to take the wheels off.... Anyhow the valve extensions do work and I wont have to take the *(&^%##@ wheels off/////
Old 12-05-2005, 11:56 AM   #15
Montana_5008

M.O.C. #5008
Parrothead, The wheel holes on the dually can be aligned so as to have access to the inside tire stems. Take the outside tire off and rotate until you feel you can access the stem and re-mount. Rascal
Montana_5008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:02 PM   #16
Montana_5008

M.O.C. #5008
Parrothead, The outside wheel holes on the dually can be aligned so as to have access to the inside tire stems. Take the outside tire off and rotate until you feel you can access the stem and re-mount. Also as others have suggested,you may want to install extenders. Rascal
Montana_5008 is offline   Reply With Quote