Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2016, 10:46 AM   #1
Kampn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18069
Mystery Switches

DW and I picked up our 2016 3000RE Montana Legacy this past week. The dealer, RV Outlet, did a good PDI with us and then I spent an extra hour doing my own from the lists of things I've read on MOC. We did find a few minor things which the dealer immediately put two techs on to correct them and we were still able to take it home same day, we are very pleased with them. There was only one little Mystery...

Our unit came with the "On Command system", which for the most part I like so far, except that I don't like the fact that they leave out most of the manual buttons and switches in the control center, so the only way to operate most of the camper is though the On Command System. The only buttons in the control panel were, a large button, a small single switch, and a group of 3 switches. None of which were labeled in any way!

The large toggle was easy, when flipped the ceiling fan came on.
The small button the salesman played with while we searched and we found it controlled the eyebrow marker lights on the front cap.

But the three switches.. we couldn't find anything they controlled and it was late in the day and we were wore out from moving all of our crap from the old camper and the PDI .. so I said don't worry about it, we'll figure it out later.

Today I called Keystone and I started explaining and half way though the girl laughed and said.. "Tank Heaters!", she said they had taken many calls on this already. I asked why they didn't label any of the switches, and was it a mistake. She said it wasn't a mistake, none of the units with the On Command got labeled, though she didn't know why.

So, mystery solved. I'm guessing it won't be long before they start labeling them, or at least I hope so. In the meantime I'm going to buy a label maker. Oh.. and she couldn't tell me which button controlled which tank, but that if it was wired as expected, the button nearest the nose controlled the tank nearest the nose, the second button would be the second tank, etc.

Scooby Doo has nothing on us! :-)

Kampn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:42 AM   #2
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Why am I not really surprised about this?
Old 02-09-2016, 03:03 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Tank heaters? That sounds futile. The tanks are many gallons and if they ever freeze, then rest assured your plumbing lines are already frozen and busted. I would have asked for heated hoses.

I'm glad you found out what those switches were for, but how do you know when you need them and how or what do they heat inside the tank? It's nice to have all these fancy features but if they can't explain how and why, then you can't use them right, I also wonder what kind of power requirement this adds to your rig. Any kind of heating item can tax a power system, shore power or not. I have been known to reset a few breakers especially when "heaters" are involved (fireplace, box heater, water heater).
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:49 PM   #4
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Another amazing Montana story???
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:37 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
This is pretty typical of all RV manufacturers. If they add a new feature they forget to do something. IMHO leaving the labels off isn't the dumbest thing. Why give you three switches. If it's cold enough to worry about tank heaters who's going to turn one on and not the others?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:59 AM   #6
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
I have a question on these new switches for the tank heaters.
Are they 12V heaters or 120V? The reason I ask is if 120V only then they won't be much use while traveling below freezing. Secondly do the heaters prevent the drain valves from freezing?
Old 02-10-2016, 04:21 AM   #7
Kampn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18069
Chris, I had that same thought last night, are they AC or DC? I tried to find something on the internet and only found that tank heaters can be either one. I only get to visit my toy on the weekends as its parked on my farm which is a 45 minute drive from my home, so it will be this weekend before I can see which it is. I'm thinking I can accomplish this easily by just looking in the fuse panel and seeing if its on a DC fuse.. or an AC breaker. Hopefully it's labeled! LOL

Dick, I was wondering that also. If you used them, why would you turn on anything less then all three? Maybe its just easier to wire that way?
Kampn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:15 AM   #8
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Our 2016 3720RL also has the mystery switches. We have five (3+2) in addition to the ceiling fan. One is for the ceiling light in the center of the kitchen in ours, another is for the outside scare lights which do not come on with the In Command system, another is for the LED eyebrows on the front cap and we believe another is for the step light. The 5th must be for the tank heater that you mentioned.

As for the In Command system, there is supposed to be manual switches for everything under the cover in the pass through basement. Inconvenient for sure, but there if you need them.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:28 AM   #9
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
tank heater are 12v, they can be used when travelling and are to keep the tanks from freezing. with the furnace on the water lines and related protected via that heat. So yes you can use the tank heater while travelling, I wouldn't overnight without being plugged into 120v supply tho as I'm pretty sure they draw significant current so batteries would not last long if vehicle isn't running or trailer is not plugged in.
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote