Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2012, 03:43 AM   #1
Big Dave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13075
Connections on back of TV??

I just purchase a 3750FL this week and I am in the process of moving into to it. I will be living in it full time for the next few years!

My question is, how do I get to the back of the TV to plug in specifically a sound bar, I am extremely hard of hearing the speakers on a TV just don't cut it. So I want to add a sound bar but can not get to the back of the TV to plug it in!

The only way I can see to do it is by removing the fireplace, then reaching up behind the fireplace.

It does have surrround sound for the DVD,CD,FM radio, but not the tv.

Thank You for your help!

Dave Robinson
U.S.Army Retired
1972 to 1992

Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:53 AM   #2
Hawkpat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11612
Just guessing here but I can't imagine the surround sound doesn't work for the tv as well. It could be selecting the correct source on the DVD/receiver.
Hawkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:58 AM   #3
Big Dave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13075
No the surround sound speakers are plugeed directly into the dvd/cd/fm unit!
There was another posting here on these forums about this subject on the surround sound.
But I have not found anything thing on how to get to the back of the TV and with my hearing I have to have a sound bar for extra volume.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:58 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
X2. Also, when I need to work on the plugs in the back of the TV I have to extend it to the up position and lay up on the counter next to it, or best of all get a high school kid to do it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:08 AM   #5
Big Dave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13075
When the dealer was doing the walk through, I asked him how to get back there.
He tried every way possible get reach back there and was unable too.
So the dealer rep, said to remove the fireplace and reach up behind there.
I can not even imagine what it would take to place the TV!
Old 12-22-2012, 04:26 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I can't help with getting the TV out as I am not familiar with that model.

But once you do get it out you should be able to connect an audio cable from the TV audio output jacks to the sound system audio input jacks. That way you can use the surround sound system and not have to install an additional speaker setup.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
vmoore1
Established Member

M.O.C. #12808
Big Dave, just pull it towards you it has a pretty stiff catch, you then should be able pull away from the wall and swivel left or right. I replaced our samsung receiver with a sony so it would play through speakers while in tv mode instead of dvd.
vmoore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ditto vmoore1, unless they have changed something, the tv is mounted on a swivel mount which can be pulled away from the front wall. As mentioned, you do have to put a little oomph into the pull.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The other alternative is to hook the tv into the dvd audio input with an audio cable that will allow the tv to be played through the surround sound system. There have been previous posts on this procedure, it involves an optic type of cable that connects the two systems.
Bingo
Old 12-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
It sounds like you are describing the same glass TV/Fireplace setup as what is in my rig. To get to the back of the TV you must loosen the fireplace (pop out the 4 wood caps and unscrew it), then slide the FP forward and set aside. Looking in and up of the opening you should see a screw that holds the TV into place. It will be screwed into (probably at some angle) the bottom edge of the front of the TV to secure it. Unscrew that screw and then - for the hard part - slide the TV forward or spin it around if there's enough room to get to the back.

My TV has connections in the front (RCA Video, Right Audio, Left Audio) and this is what I would have used. But if the connections aren't there use the procedure above to get at it. Hopefully once connected you won't have to get back there any more.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
The TV does play through the surrounding sound. I believe the input selection is D In. Then you have to select the sound setting such as surround or all channel to get the sound to come out of all speakers. Your dealer didn't give you enough information. I would suggest you read the manual on your system. All this pertains to the Samsung Bue Ray/surrounding sound tat is in my 3750FL.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #12
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
I second kab449. The surround sound plays through the dvd/radio/whatever unit, but the TV is hooked to that. You simply need to read the audio unit's manual and follow the instructions on how to channel the TV sound into the audio unit. You then use the audio unit's remote to control the sound.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:16 AM   #13
Big Dave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13075
Thank You all for your input!
The TV is Sony and Combination CD/DVD/FM unit that goes with it is also Sony.
I removed the fire place but could not see the Tv because of the mirror in the lowered position, I raised the mirror and still could not see behind the TV.
So lowered the mirror, picked up on the TV and it came off the wall bracket, so I told me it slip down into a bracket to secure it to the unit and when you pick up on it it comes out!
But could not turn it enough to see the back side, no matter how I tried I could not get it out of that inclosed space or turn it enough to see the back side connections!
So I guess I will have to bite the bullet and call the dealer to come out and help me!
Then to top it all off, I broke a piece of wood trim off that goes on top of the sliding trim!
Old 02-02-2013, 03:46 AM   #14
Big Dave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13075
Well I finally got the TV issuses resolved!
First to let all of you know for future reference!
The TV in my 2013 Montana 3750, is solidly mounted to the front wall, it does not swivel or pull out!
I had to have the dealer come out after the rep's from Montana told them what to do!
They had to take the cabinet apart around the TV and above the fire place, to access the TV, to plug in or unplug any of the connections, then screw and staple it back together!!!

Also got the surround sound working with the TV, as it was not hooked up properly behind the TV!

This is a very poor design on Montana's part!
At least now I know I have to disassemble the cabinet if I ever have to replace the TV!

Thanks once again for everyones in put!
Old 02-02-2013, 04:02 AM   #15
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Wow, after hearing all that, I am thinking that I like the tv configuration in our year's model a heck of a lot better. I guess with the new design they removed the swivel mount, which does not appear to be very conducive to any maintenance issues that may arise. Glad you got it worked out nonetheless!
Bingo
Old 02-02-2013, 04:33 AM   #16
vmoore1
Established Member

M.O.C. #12808
WOW pure Genius, X2 with Bingo
Old 02-02-2013, 04:36 AM   #17
Big Dave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13075
Thank you Bingo for your reply!
I guess for 2013 they changed the design and mount of the TV!
But in my opinion it is a very poor change!
Dave
Old 02-03-2013, 04:01 AM   #18
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Unbelievable.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:31 AM   #19
Big Dave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13075
Well Captain Joe,
Believe it, they really were not thinking in 2013!
Old 02-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #20
vmoore1
Established Member

M.O.C. #12808
Dave,
Can you replace the mount with one that makes it easier to get to back of the TV?