Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
Mel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10238
Slide out tips out while driving

I have a 2009 Montana 3400 I purchased new in February 2010. On a recent trip twice I saw in my mirrow the top of kitchen slide out tip out at least a foot as I was going around corners. I about panicked. Took the 5th wheel to a dealer where I was vacationing and they checked it out and said everything is OK. Suggested I cut a board and use to block the top of the slide out and keep it from tipping. I can do this, but it seems like there should be a better solution. Anyone faced this and what did you do?

Thanks for any help.
Mel

Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I am not familiar with that model, but do you have valves at the hyd pump you can shut off when traveling?
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have an '06 3400 and have never seen that happen. We do have seperate valves and perhaps once the slides are in you could close the valve for that slide and see what happens. Doesn't seem normal to me......Perhaps a leaky hyd line for that slide.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:21 AM   #4
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
My point would be then, If you shut off the valves to the slide and the slide still moves,it would be an indication of a bad cylinder. The oil is bypassing the piston seal. If the slide stays in place it would tell you that the pump is by passing internally.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:35 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Mel,
Based on your signature page I would think your unit is still under warranty. I would take it to another dealer and ask for their opinion. You have been given good advice on how to trouble shoot. I suggest you take a picture when it happens again with a tape measure and contact Keystone Service Center and ask for help. Best of luck. Let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:38 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by racerjoe

My point would be then, If you shut off the valves to the slide and the slide still moves,it would be an indication of a bad cylinder. The oil is bypassing the piston seal. If the slide stays in place it would tell you that the pump is by passing internally.
I seem to recall someone (I think it was BSmeaton) that had this problem before. The slide is only attached at the bottom, so it allows the top to tip out, even if the hydraulic cylinder never moves. I would think if it is not a problem on every unit, the issue has to do with the rack gears. Seems mine have teflon rollers in the ends of them that run in a track. Perhaps the 3400 kitchen slide does not have these. My slide out drops down flush; seems Dale said that kitchen slide is different.

Upon searching, I finally located the thread I had in mind. It wasn't Brad's unit, but he did experiment with his slide, and found it would tip out on the top. Interesting to say the least.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:34 AM   #7
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
I've had the same thing happen to me with the kitchen slide,that was 2 years ago and it hasn't happen again since than,this year I did have to replace two hydro hoses.
I'm thinking the kitchen slide because of the weight of the refrigerator.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:02 AM   #8
robb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6238
This happened to our 2007 3400RL. The top goes out and if your turning it can knock the micro-wave out of the frame onto the counter(ask me how I know) when it comes back in.
Keystone worked on it and added awnings to the slide and this stopped the problem.
This was one of the 156 items on our list when we took it back to be rebuilt, 8 weeks later we got it back!
robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #9
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I had the refrig slide come out (top part only) while making a 270 degree right turn. In fact, we had the cat's bowl sitting on the floor, so while the slide was tipped out at the top, the centrifugal force sent the cats bowl under the tipped out slide. Therefore, when I came out of the turn, the slide stayed tilted out from the top. Several have suggested laying a board on top of the slide. Haven't done that, just go a bit slower during those long right turns.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:06 PM   #10
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
When the slide is in go inside and push at the top, you will see that is pushes out very easy. As far as I have heard they are all like that.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:32 AM   #11
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
They DO push out at the top very easily. To recover the cat's bowl, I pushed out the already partially tilted out top of the slide and the D/W reached in a pulled the bowl out from under the slide.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote