Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
johnp4191
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6664
Slide seals

We have our 2003, 2880RL on a seasonal site in northern Wisconsin.We have had a lot of rain this summer and this past weekend, I discovered that the bottom of the slide moldings, inside the camper, are wet.I assume our seals are not working the way they should. Has anyone replaced them themselves or is that a job I need to take it in to the dealer to do? The moldings are a particle board covered with the vinyl wallpaper. The material has swollen, mostly just a couple of inches up the board, but one is wet about 12 high.

Thanks,
Judi

johnp4191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I have had 3 slide seals fail on my 2006 model. Don't seem to last that long?!??!?! Last week the main slide seal ripped about 3 feet on the end seal. I bought all new seals and then remembered that this one was replaced last summer! Don't understand that...
Anyway, I didn't have time to wait to have a dealer install it, so I did it myself. It is probably a 10-30 minute job (for each of the 3 pieces) if you know what you are doing. Unfortunately, I didn't! I probably spent 2 hours or longer trying to get a screw at the top out. It looked like they screwed it in and broke off the head of the screw. I tried a chisel and couldn't cut it. Finally, I cut off the seal at that point and could see better. They put the screw in from the INSIDE!!! It was a little awkward to work on, since you have to stand on something to see over the top of the slide and then reach over the top of the Header(??) board on the top of the slide. It would be easier with a 5 or 6 foot step ladder, but all I had was an 8 or 9 footer that doesn't fit inside the trailer.
To summarize: There was a screw at the top and a screw at the bottom on the end seals. (I didn't check the top seal) Just remove them and the seal sort of can be pulled out away from the wall. I think the seals cost around $3.50 a foot plus shipping. I had to pay for overnite, which set me back $120 extra!!!
Good luck

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
priceml
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #183
Send a message via ICQ to priceml Send a message via AIM to priceml
Tom where did you get the seals for your slide.I made the mistake of leaving my slides out when I had my 5th wheel at my brother-in-laws and the squirrels chewed all of the seals.I have a 2003 2955RL with two slides.
priceml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:10 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by johnp4191

We have our 2003, 2880RL on a seasonal site in northern Wisconsin.We have had a lot of rain this summer and this past weekend, I discovered that the bottom of the slide moldings, inside the camper, are wet.I assume our seals are not working the way they should. Has anyone replaced them themselves or is that a job I need to take it in to the dealer to do? The moldings are a particle board covered with the vinyl wallpaper. The material has swollen, mostly just a couple of inches up the board, but one is wet about 12 high.

Thanks,
Judi
Judi,
To me, that seems to me to be a short-lived seal setup. Our unit is a 2000 and has been on the road full time for 10 years. Our seals seem to be okay. I was cautioned by my dealer to periodically dust them with baby powder to keep them supple. It seems to work. I just take the baby powder and put it on a rag and wipe the slide seals every once in a while. Which reminds me, it's been a while so I'd better get busy.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:11 AM   #5
johnp4191
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6664
We had been leaving the slides out between visits, but we closed them when we left last weekend. Hopefully that will help in the short term. I couldn't tell from looking at the seals that there is anything wrong. I guess I need to look again.

Judi
johnp4191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
priceml,
I got them thru a Keystone dealer. I think you can order this kind of stuff online, but since these sort of snap/hook/slide on to a metal strip; the keystone ones may be better.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is online now   Reply With Quote