Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Water pump--air in the line?

Most of the time, we are hooked up to water at a CG and don't use the water pump. On those occasions when we do use the water pump, we sometimes get the situation where the pump keeps running after we shut the faucet off. I am usually able to solve this problem by going out to the central water convenience center (CCC) and flipping back and forth the switch that is used when you want to fill the fresh water tank from the hose hooked up to the main water connection to the rig.

Two days ago, we stayed at a state park that didn't have a water hookup. After using the water pump for the first day, we started having the problem of the pump continuing to run. I tried flipping that switch back and forth, but without a great deal of success. When we got to the next CG, with water hookups, I hooked up to CG water, ran more water into the FW tank, and tried the pump again. It was blowing out air for some period of time, but after switchng various things on and off several times, we finally got it to work.

Since it's working now, I assume I don't have a problem with the pump itself. I confess that I don't know just what is happening when I flip that "water filler switch" in the CCC back and forth from "normal" to "fill" and why that usually makes the pump work right--it's just something I stumbled across when trying to fix the problem the first time it arose, and it worked. I was assuming that there was just some air in the lines and that flipping the water filler switch somehow helped to vent that air.

Does anyone really have a good explanation of what's going on when I flip that switch back and forth and/or have a remedy for the problem of the pump wanting to keep running for a long period even after the faucet is shut off?

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Dave and Jo-Anna-- Check out the thread on water pump dated February 28th or 29th in this Section (Tech. Help, Problems& Problem Solving. I think there is one there that had the same problem. Since I don't have a NEW rig (ours is a 2004 2980) and we don't have a Convenient Center like the newer rigs, I can't help you out but maybe that thread can solve some questions you might have. I believe that are a couple more threads on the same type problem if you go to Search also! Good luck and keep us informed!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I believe you are purging the air out of the lines when you use the "fill position". The good thing is the water is just going in a loop from the fresh water tank through the pump and back into the fresh water tank. That is better than down the drain and conserves water from the fresh water tank.
I do not know what would be causing the air in the lines unless you happen to have an acumlator which would delay the air from showing up.
Cheers,

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote