Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2007, 01:04 AM   #1
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Landing pad

We arrived at our campground and when we went to set up realized the landing pad was missing on one of the jacks. Apparently the little pin came out of that bolt and it worked loose. Never heard or felt a thing. It's out there on route #81 somewhere. Calling the dealer to see if that is covered under warranty.
Came inside and found ref. door open.Again !!!!!! This is not the first time. Last time food all over the floor. We had a travel trailer once that had a lock. Wonder if they make them for these things.
Looked at the screen door. The plexi glass has pushed most of the screen out. We've had plexi glass in our last two models plus motor home and never had a proble. Now another thing to fix.
This TV in the living room sucks. Have to sit right in front of it to hear it. The cheaper TV in the bedroom is much much better.

Across the road two Montanas. One would buy again, one def. not. We are somewhere in the middle. Love the bathroom, but other things could be better.

Otherwise, haveing a great time.

Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:52 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
No latch on the refrigerator? It should latch and have to be released any time it is opened. The sound system in our Mountaineer isn't what it out to be either. I think it'll get a re-adjustment of some sort before we head out for the winter. I told DW it needed the auto volume like the TV so when the AC kicks on I can still hear it. Oh well, guess things could be worse.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:09 AM   #3
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
There's a latch on the ref. It clicks when we close it, but somehow opens as we travel. Has happened twice.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:00 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
It actually all sounds like pretty minor stuff folks, and none of it really sounds like a Montana problem. Landing gear, door, fridge are all common equipment vendors shared by all brands.

If it would help, I'd be more than happy to trade you our bedroom TV for your Viewsonic .

Enjoy your travels and let the Dealer sweat the small stuff. Duct tape has always seen me through.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:34 AM   #5
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Chuck talked to the dealer. Wanted us to bring unit in. Hello ---- we are in PA and they are in NY. Will not authorize the dealer here to give us one. How does he know we don't want a "free" one. We don't want to pack up everything and drive into Harrisburg.
Steps still throwing me off. The bottom step pitches back. Not level.
No, it's not big stuff, just annoying little things. Just went by the bathroom (we've been here 22 hours) and there is a horrible "stink" coming up the sink. Now what????????????
Don't remember these problems with our last Montana. I know for a fact there won't be another.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:30 AM   #6
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Chuck and Carol. I found that whoever installed the living room entertainment systems didn't have a lot of experience. You should be able to correct the wiring so that the TV audio out links to the DVD Aux in. That way you can select AUX on the DVD player and have the TV Sound come out through the Surround Sound speakers. Still not like I have it at home but better than it was.

BIll
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:39 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Yep, I guess you are right. I would trade it in right now on another brand so you can enjoy the rest of the week.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:01 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, when we had a refrigerator problem I called Dometic directly. I don't remember the number but they are in Elkhart, IN, so a search might turn up the number. Or try www.dometicusa.com . I think that's the right url. Dometic will work with your dealer and I found it best to start with them and then get the dealer involved.

We also lost a landing gear pad on our 3295RK a couple of years ago. I could not find a matching pad in the numerous rv dealers and camping worlds we checked. They all have some but they don't match. Your dealer should be able to get one from Keystone. That's where we got ours.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:01 AM   #9
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Was that meant to be funnyHope so.

Now my week is complete. Road to Chocolate World closed
Old 07-16-2007, 04:42 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Note Steve,S post,When we had a Refer problem we called Dometic direct.. Excellent service, When we had a Apollo problem called Appolo direct...Excellent service,, Hot water tank problem..Called them Direct...Excellent service.Had a antenna problem called Wineguard direct, new antenna in 3 days.Why call keystone, they just call the vendor..Cut out the middle man. Our refer door has come open a least two times. I have been fingered as leaving it open..Maybe not??? Also note..our first year of ownership was a nightmare..problem after problem..However after 4 days at the service center April of this year we have not had a single problem of any kind..just completed 5K miles .. not a single problem ..Execpt that the front of the blasted 3400 is to low and I broke my coconut on it..twice..."who put that there"
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:57 PM   #11
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Hope you didn't hurt Helen's 3400. I agree with you get a hold of the supplier and deal with them. I replaced right away them funky hairpin clips with cotter keys and have not any problems loosing the pads. See you are home OK. I agree with you on fuel prices. Legal robbery by the oil company's.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:31 PM   #12
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
All of these are minor problems. Are they a pain? You bet! The thing to remember is you are not spending $1200 out of pocket for a new fridge and the units come with crappy tv's because road travel beats them to death. In a year you can upgrade to a better entertainment system. The fridge...call the manufacturer because they can help you faster than the dealer.
Happy Travels!
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:56 AM   #13
2Seekers
Established Member

M.O.C. #4341
Chuck and Carol
Any dealer that does service or Camping World should be authorized to do the warranty work on your frig and most other components because they will be working on that component not a Montana. Just had warranty work on Dometic frig in Montana by local dealer, who does not sell Montana, this week. They balked at first, then realized they would be doing Dometic warranty work which is in most of the units on their lot. Check it out.
2Seekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:31 PM   #14
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
I thought our sound system was horrible, we had to have the volume on max to watch a DVD. I finally decided to trouble shoot it and found all but 2 speakers hooked up wrong and in the process found 2 speakers that failed to produce sound at all. Now its hooked up right with functioning speakers it works fantastic. My last Forest River trailer had the fridge that wouldnt stay shut, a slideout that never functioned properly, a dinette table that warped like mad and screen door problems from day 1. It doesnt matter what brand we buy, we'll have similar issues, its the nature of the product I guess. What separates the good from the poor is how those issues are handled by the dealer and or mfgr. After owning another brand previously, Id buy another monte without hesitation.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:11 PM   #15
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We have had the fridge open and looked it over. I found the catch for the fridge door didn't stick out as much as the one on the freezer so the dealer is going to try and adjust it. The Monty is in for all the little things after 1 1/2 months of use.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:05 AM   #16
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Dometic phone number is 1-800-544-4881 or 1-574-294-2511. But you want to call early in the morning. Very early! Or you will be on hold for a very long time.

Dometic replaced our fridge under warranty and also our main AC under warranty. I was working with a Dometic authorized repair person on both of them at different times, he came out to look at it. He was the go between to get them replaced. Call around for the repair people because they charge a trip charge and one wanted $75 and Dometic doesn't pay for that. The one we used charged us $25 and he came about 60 miles. The $75 dollar man was 12 miles away!
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:26 PM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Chuck and Carol..Keep using that Montana and beat all the "assembly" issues out of it. Our first year was a nightmare but after wringing out all the'Issues" we have been trouble free. It is a shame that we have to go through the first year blues but the chances are you will wind up with a really good Montana..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:54 PM   #18
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
We have decided to give up on the dealer here in Harrisburg. We are going to wait until we get home. There are a couple of "small" issues to be checked. Just keep mopping the bathroom floor and keep a good eye on the ref.
Now the ref. is freezing the food in both compartments. I turned it down to #2 so maybe that will help.
As long as our frozen food doesn't defrost.
We tried calling the dealer in Harrisburg and finally after 15 minutes on hold was told part not in. Oh well. Not going to next campground for another week. Maybe it will come in.