Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2006, 06:49 AM   #1
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Bathroom door latch problem

Just for the record, in case anyone other than Rich is keeping track of #s of failures, our bathroom door handle mechanism failed yesterday as I was opening it from the entryway. No harm, no foul....nobody locked in or out, door in the open position.

Took it apart. Yupp!!! Broken!!! Went to a nearby RV salvage place and then to a nearby Monty dealer. Would you believe that neither of them had a replacement mechanism? Went to a Lowes, about 15 miles away, and found one, no problem. Door is 1 3/8 thick....minimum thickness for most "off the shelf" hardware. Only installation problem is that the hole drilled for the latch itself is of insufficient diameter to accept either of the "sleeves" ("guides"??) the latch slides through. Just stuck her in there without the extra "sleeve", works fine.

We did decide to try to not close that door from the bathroom side if we are alone in the rig. Prevents the dreaded "locked in" situation if no one else is home, and there is certainly no privacy issue in that situation.

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:14 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well ours never failed but we figured from the number of failures it was going to and it would be me locked in. we took preventative measures.Did the same thing you did Noted the "latch problem) did a little modification and all is well. The OEM door latch was "cost efficient" and we efficiently tossed it in the trash.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:23 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Ours seemed to be getting a little tight. Took it apart and found real fine metal shavings caused by a lack of lubrication. Lubricated it and reinstalled. It works like brand new.

BTW- If you have a mobil home or modular home dealer in your area you should be able to pick up a replacement that requires no modifications.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:26 PM   #4
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Got replacement handles at Walmart for $14.97 ea. Had to enlarge the hole for the latch, but it wasn't difficult. Didn't know that the door was made out of cardboard! Had to chisel out a space for the latch end and didn't know I was dealing with cardboard and whacked it a little too hard and made a ding. Just use a box cutter on it.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:31 PM   #5
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Mine broke the screw off, JB weld, good as new.
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:11 AM   #6
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Our bathroom closet latch broke on our trip over spring break, but the closest Montana dealer had the replacement, so we went with that since it matched the closet that also can hold the washer/dryer next to it. I realize that I could have changed both, but just didn’t. So far so good.

I too am very careful about shutting the door when inside, even when Marsha is there.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 03:37 AM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
JD, might want to watch that replacement, our replacement lasted less than 6 weeks of use. Al wanted them to match, etc. NOT NOW! He is gonna replace the inside part that fails, with something better, still using the same handles. I still will NOT close the potty door while I am on the inside.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 04:58 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I replaced my toilet door and washer/dryer door knob mechanisms with ones purchased at Lowe's. I merely had to do a little "shaving" with a knife to get everything to fit properly. I had this difficulty shortly after we started full timing in 2000.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 05:00 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
While we are on the subject of the potty room (we have the 3400) WHY is there a Mirror in there and what would you use it for..If you are sitting down you can't see any thing and if you are standing up (guys)..what are you looking at???
Old 07-01-2006, 05:51 AM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Rich, you might use it to see if you need to shave?? G>

Not sure why it is there, but, we like ours, not even sure why, well, maybe we know why ----- prior TT had one mirror, over the sink, could not see the gray hairs to pull them out, cause it was so far away! HAHAHA

We love all the mirrors, after having only that one lousy one. Probably a desire based on prior experience.

No longer need to pull the gray, as most of the head is covered in it now!

Guess ya either like the mirrors or dont!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 05:57 AM   #11
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Don't know the purpose of the potty room mirror unless it is the trick of making a space look larger, but we aren't fooled by that are we? I know some have removed the mirror and replaced it with pictures or other decor.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 06:18 AM   #12
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
take a trip to Home Dopot and spend a few dollars to get a real door lock unit and be done with the problem. JMO
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 06:32 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Now that Sunshine is a great idea.That is not a very large space anyhow, there is not much room in there to do anything else except...welllll..what you do in there..glad we are sort of small folks...Every time I think of Dave(dsprik) in there I nearly fall off my computer chair at the thought.. and no you can't show us how you fit in our camper....
Old 07-01-2006, 07:19 AM   #14
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Carol, I AM keeping an eye on that latch. If it too fails, then I will go the other way on both doors.

Sunshine, your idea is the only reason I can think of for there to be a mirror in there. Marsha is just glad there is not a window, such as there are in many other units!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:27 AM   #15
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
The Walmart latch is the "real" deal made by Brinks (has their name on it, anyway), it is beefy and very attractive.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 04:33 PM   #16
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We removed the mirror. I agree with Carol about previous units but the Monty has mirrored closet doors and the 3400 has a mirror on the armoire so the mirror in the potty room doesn't make sense. We have pictures in there now. Thought about a fake window but couldn't find what I wanted. On the door handles. The 2005's and up changed the door handles so maybe this is just a problem with the units prior to 2005.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 03:09 AM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Now that Sunshine is a great idea.That is not a very large space anyhow, there is not much room in there to do anything else except...welllll..what you do in there..glad we are sort of small folks...Every time I think of Dave(dsprik) in there I nearly fall off my computer chair at the thought.. and no you can't show us how you fit in our camper....
Well I have managed to make it down to 245# from the 270# that I was at in Toledo. However, I have wondered about the fit in the BR - even at 225 or so that I am aiming at. I'm still 6'2".

Luckily, I'll be able to try YOUR little room out in Mackinaw City in about 12 days...

And why are your running around visualizing me in the john???
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 03:25 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It's the tall part Campers are not built for tall folks..particularly Travel Trailers. I think that is why they put the "skylight" in the shower so tall folks would have head room.In the W/C it is where do you put your knees..When we were doing the RV shows I alway got a kick out of the tall folks trying out the W/C..it was sooo funny.A couple of times we thought we would have to call the rescue squad to get them out. Our W/C is a no tall folks zone..unless there is a fire department nearby.. You can manage the weight ..but can you shrink about 6 inches for a better W/C fit... Ok we are ready for the rebuttal post that will say..Well I am 7 foot 9 and have no problem getting in the W/C..in fact have been in here for 7 hours and am waiting for the Jaws of life to remove me..
Old 07-02-2006, 03:32 AM   #19
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
I have warned hubby that he best not close the potty door when he in out adjusting by himself. If he does he best have his cell phone with him so he can call 911.

Rich,

Would you rather have a window treatment in the potty room?
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 04:35 AM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
That sounds like a whole new thread, Colleen...

Maybe my dealer would replace this, like they are going to do with the shower drain gasket, at Pre-PDI. Although, I may want the security of buying it myself, so I know what I'm putting on there...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote