Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
Bed platform repair

This is getting sort of old, but here is another area to look at. Our bed platform was cocked about 3 inches after we returned from the last trip, I removed the mattress, to look at the plywood platform, and found several problems, first the foot of the bed box has no side support, in other words bouncing down the highway and come to a rapid stop, the foot of the bed wants to go foreword, there is no support to stop this. Ours was pulled away from the wall, screws ripped out 3 inches, I found none of the frame members were attached to solid backing, just 4 screws in the paneling, amazing. What I did was unscrew the two box sections with the slide out, square up the box, and center it on the slide, the factory had the bed 1" off center, so that done, I attached the fixed part that is in the slide to wall structure with 8 screws, then attached the sides to the floor in the slide only, I then screwed the box framing together from the inside where the staples were, I then attached two 2"x 4" boards to the floor to keep the sliding part of the bed going in the right direction, and keep it from moving when being towed, once that was done I re attached both plywood top panels, using twice the screws and keeping it square, once that was done I re installed the lower storage panel, the one that only has 2 drywall screws to hold it with a dozen more to add in keeping it square. I also have to say, there is wiring under the platform, it runs on ours from the front corner of the slide to about the center of the floor, then goes down into the lower storage area, well, none is supported, and just rubs all over the metal slide framing under the bed, ours was raw in one spot, I added a few plastic looms some tape and a few zip ties and that is now corrected. This took about 4 hours, and is now as good as it can ever be, my point is there must be others that have this problem, so spend some time and investigate.

RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
Ron:
While you are at it check the wheels on the front corners of the bed. Both of our came loose. Sounds like you did a fine repair job.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
woo Ron the things i don't know.
Larry there are wheels?
i did have the hinges give out with the springs on the lid pushing and probably rocking while traveling.
mikey
thekennys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
Mike:

Yes, on our just about 6-8" back from the foot of the bed on both sides we have one 2" casters.

Larry
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Haven't had any problem there yet, but one more thing to watch and worry about is now on the list.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote