Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Awning problem....fabric peeling

Our rig is a SOB, but we do have the same type of awnings, same manufacture.

After a recent trip ( first time we used the awning for the season),

After my husband washed the trailer he noticed that while the awning is in the rolled up position.....On one end there is an area where the back of the fabric is peeling.

This area is about 10-12 inches wide and 4 inches tall.

Has anybody else experienced this? Is there a fix? Or do we have to look at replacing the whole awning?

Looking forward to some opinions and advice.

Dang! between graphics beinning to peel and now awning fabric....a RV cover is beginning to look like a good idea.

Denise

PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:35 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Denise, the problem you describe sounds like the awning is not long for much more use. There might be a patch out there but that will just prolong the replacement solution.
And as far as using a cover, I'll sell you one cheap, used only two seasons and will never go back on our Montana again!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:55 AM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Emmel

Denise, the problem you describe sounds like the awning is not long for much more use. There might be a patch out there but that will just prolong the replacement solution.
And as far as using a cover, I'll sell you one cheap, used only two seasons and will never go back on our Montana again!
I don’t mean to take away from the original question nor do I want to hi-jack this thread but what went wrong that you will never use the cover again? I know we park ours out in the weather all year long and have never covered it while other people like to keep their unit covered.

As far as the awning problem goes, ours will accumulate moisture while it's rolled up. I assume that rain water works its way back into the awning some and I wonder if that could possibly be what happened that may have contributed to the problem with PartyCrashers’ awning.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:18 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Awning fabric certain years, had some delamination issues, sounds like this is what is going on.

I pretty much agree with Emmel, you will need to replace fabric. You do not need to replace entire awning, arms, etc, unless you choose to replace with different unit.

I am not sure that the water sitting in the rolled up awning has anything to do with it, but, that is my take, and heavens only knows I have been mucho wrong before!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote