Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2022, 03:52 PM   #1
timrands
Established Member

M.O.C. #31523
Gray water handles

I just bought my Montana I have 2 gray water tanks and 2 handles. I open the black tank then the gray water when done with the black and nothing comes out. The other gray tank with out pulling anything when you take the cap off to hook up the hose the water starts coming out?

timrands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 04:35 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
It really helps if you list the Year and Model of your RV. I see in your Profile you have a 2018 HC. So the first answer of returning it under warranty may not apply. It seems the valves are inoperative with one open and the other stuck closed. Time to drop the coroplast to gain access to the valves and ascertain what the problem is.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 06:55 PM   #3
timrands
Established Member

M.O.C. #31523
Sorry Montana high country 380th. That is why I figured dropping the skirt and looking just wanted to make sure I was not doing something wrong. Thank you
Old 08-26-2022, 08:47 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
When you say you have two handles do you mean one gray and one black dump? Not familiar with your floorplan specifics, but all our Montana units have had two separate gray dumps for each tank, the bedroom tank handle colocated with the black handle and one gray near the ODS side by the axles, sometimes hard to see. One may not drain because the valve will not open, and the other builds up with the hose cap on because the valve is open. I would double check the number of gray valves, close all, run the kitchen sink for a couple of minutes then open up and see what happens. Then try the same thing in the bedroom.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 05:21 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I agree, your description is a bit confusing. Bathroom should have 1 black and 1 grey, usually connected with a common discharge, 2 valves, 2 handles, one discharge port where you connect the sewer hose.

The kitchen sink should have 1 tank and 1 handle also. It is usually separate from the the bathroom valve handles. You also need to attach a sewer hose here too.

Agree with advise above. Open all the valves, drain all the tanks. Then turn on one faucet at a time and see which discharge outlet starts flowing. Then close the outside valves and see which one goes with each drain inside the camper. If you are running water in one of the sinks and nothing is being discharged, then you know one is broken or frozen shut, or you simply missed the valve.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 05:03 AM   #6
timrands
Established Member

M.O.C. #31523
Thank you I will try that before tearing into things.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:32 PM   #7
richeyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22661
Similar HC Owner

I think from your description we have the same model and yr of HC. You have two grey handles and both are connected to the same discharge port. You can hook up your drain hose to the front discharge point and then open both grey tanks. The handle marked black tank is the back discharge port. You connect your hose to that port and drain the black tank. To flush the hose following emptying the black tank you must use the tank flush connection in the service area. The grey water cannot be used to flush the discharge port and hose following the black tank draining. However, you can drain the black tank first and then move the hose to the front port and use the grey tanks to help clean the hose.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:49 PM   #8
N1282X
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22428
Quote:
Originally Posted by timrands View Post
I just bought my Montana I have 2 gray water tanks and 2 handles. I open the black tank then the gray water when done with the black and nothing comes out. The other gray tank with out pulling anything when you take the cap off to hook up the hose the water starts coming out?
You have a gray and a black handle near the left rear tire, you also have another grey forward of the tires under the kitchen slide, that is for kitchen sink drain. I personally leave that one open at all times and have added a fourth slide valve at my 3-inch Master opening to control my gray. Search on vaugn blackmore he is the master of the 380/381 site on Facebook. He was the original doer of combining both gray tanks together and eliminating that forward gray outlet forward of the tires. Doing this helps immensely with day-to-day operation of your trailer. If you need more information I can send pictures
N1282X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 05:33 PM   #9
rvsareus
Established Member

M.O.C. #22863
Lousy setup..

I have a 381 th and this setup sucks. There is a drain spout behind the wheels for the black tank only. and another drain for the gray waters in front of the wheels. You have to move the hose when done to the front connection to do the grays. Dont like it
rvsareus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 03:23 AM   #10
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
You can purchase a sewer kit that has a wye connector to bring both outlets together to a single hose. I have read of some people who re-plumbed the outlets into a single discharge if you have the room to maintain some downward angle on the pipes. If memory serves, Jared Gillis did a video on his rig plumbing the two together. Take a look at his YouTube channel - All About RV's https://www.youtube.com/c/AllAboutRVs
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 08:29 PM   #11
Roypete

M.O.C. #31476
Hi all, just bought a 2013 Montana 3582RL 5th wheel. Have leaks with both gray tanks. I can see the crack on shower gray tank and I believe I can repair it. The kitchen gray tank leaks from over the top. I can not see leak mounted in unit. Question, is there a vent line in top of tank? I can see there is a removable coupling on sink drain to tank. I want to drop tank but have know idea what I'm getting into. Does anybody have a plumbing lay out and electrical prints on this unit? It seems the dealers are useless in this matter. Roy.
Roypete is offline   Reply With Quote