Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2022, 07:48 AM   #1
WDH

M.O.C. #28451
Black tank maintenance

We are receiving a new fifth wheel today and it is our fourth rv
I once again am committed to trying to maintain so that I don’t get false readings from tank sensors
Is there anything new out there that truly works to prevent the build up that typically causes this
The last suggestion I got with our Class A was adding an agent for odor and breakdown, Dawn to prevent substance sticking as well as cleaning, Calgon to keep walls of tank slick, septic tank enzymes
A lot to do on a weekend outing
I typically flush often and try to keep some water in the tank after flush
I do occasionally leave content when on the road to get the slosh affect
Is there a miracle product or proffered product for general breakdown and odor prevention

WDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 08:09 AM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Darryl,

Put a piece of tape over the black tank display. Instead put a reminder in your phone to dump the black tank once a week. You will be a happier man.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 08:13 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We actually spent the money about 10 years ago to add exterior sensors to our tanks and they do work reliably. The problem is that I already had a schedule and so I never used them. Since then we've stayed with the original sensors and I reliably don't use those either.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 08:35 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
You are already doing the right things. Forget the black tank readings.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 08:44 AM   #5
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
We have had our 5er almost a year and have spent 120 days on it. I also wanted to try to keep the sensors working but soon gave up. I am using Unique and am happy with the fact that the tank remains clean when flushed and emptied normally with no odor. Sometimes the sensors work and sometimes they don’t, they usually work after traveling with a little water in the tank, and they only occasionally work when we are set up and using it for longer periods of time. Then when we move, they work again. I don’t worry about it anymore.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 08:54 AM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
My black tank sensors have always worked pretty good on all 4 of my trailers I've owned over the years. I do what WDH stated above ... Dawn and leaving CLEAN water in the tank when hitting the road.

I also backflush the grey into the black at every dump. I never miss. I back flush 3 times, this also helps pull more out.

Also, on our current trailer, I installed a Bidet. So there has not been any toilet paper in that tank for 3 years now. Tanks flush easy, they don't have to be plum full, especially if you backflush, and no odors.

A bit of Dawn and a few gallons of water when on the road, and tank is always good. How do I know? First, no smells. Second, I use a clear section of pipe so I can see what's actually being discharged. When the discharge water finally runs clear, that's about as good as it get.

Another thing that has helped our cause? We installed a washing and dryer a couple years ago. The washer drains into the grey tank. We do laundry about every 2 days (it has to be smaller loads). That adds nice detergent water to the grey tank, which will also get back flushed into the black tank when I dump.

One other thing you can use to help your cause, get a toilet wand, attach it to the end of a garden hose, shove it down the toilet into the tank, turn the water on, and spray the dickens out of the tank. That is probably your best cleaning device to get all that toilet paper and crud off the sensors inside your tank.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 09:10 AM   #7
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
I always keep at least 5 gallons in mine, and when I travel I put a cup of dawn dish soap in the tank. Water is your friend for breaking waste down and letting everything slide out. I also use a liquid waste treatment to help with the breakdown. When I dump, I elevate the nose of the trailer higher and that helps flow everything out. I also fill and flush at least 4-5 times before hitting the road or until clear water is flowing out. I watched a video of the black tank system and if you don't use enough water, you will develop a poop pyramid, which you don't want.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 05:47 AM   #8
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
In addition to keeping plenty of water in the tank, I have found that using Unique Digest It has done a much better job of breaking down and liquifying solids in our black tank. At times, I use a portable tote tank and macerator, it really does work much well as no TP or solids are left.
I can't recommend this product more.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 07:25 AM   #9
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Unique for us as well thanks to others here on the forum. We also "back flush" the black tank once empty with the gray water. One of our first purchases was a Valtera gate valve to put on the end of the discharge pipe connector to facilitate cross connecting the black and gray tanks for back flushing.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 08:30 AM   #10
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
I find them relatively unreliable on my fifth wheel trailer, rv and boat. As other said, dump on a frequent schedule...........in that case, you will never overfill the tanks, espeacially the black tank.
Old 08-27-2022, 10:01 AM   #11
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
I am in the group that would advise to ignore them. I've never had any that worked accurately or reliably for any length of time. For us it's really simple, we know how many days we can run before we have to dump. We keep a monthly calendar on the front of the fridge with dump days marked (along with med schedules etc.). On dump day I leave the bath gray open and we wash clothes. Don't have problems with over/underfilling the tanks and haven't looked at that monitor on this trailer (or the last) since buying it other than to push the button and see if any lights come on (on PDI walk through).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 07:48 AM   #12
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
They have not read right since the first camping trip

Our sensors rarely read less than 2/3, even after I dump and rinse both of the black tanks. I agree, ignore them and dump on a regular schedule.