Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2020, 02:33 PM   #21
CAG
Established Member

M.O.C. #24811
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenclme View Post
How did you vent those batteries? I haven't been able to find a battery case that holds 2 GC-2's. (I would need two). AGM's don't have to be vented, right?
I made one using a storage container, vent it out using the existing vent. I think it is 17 Gal at Lowes. Black with Yellow lid. a few 2x4s to block the batteries and screw it through the bottom to hold it in place.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:12 PM   #22
GILAELKHUNTER
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24575
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
have to disagree with lightsout. have used walmart and sams club batteries and they work just fine and have a great warranty with them. it is just his opinion to buy a more expensive battery.

regardless, get 6 volt batteries rather than 12 volt for your rig.
I bought 2 12v Interstate batteries at sams club for my 6.0 diesel truck, the first ones didn't last 6 months, I took them to my local Interstate dealer for replacement and was told the black case Interstate batteries were a Sams special and they would not warranty them, was told to take them back to Sams. Returned them to Sams and got 2 more and they didn't last 4 months. I have always/and still use the white and green Interstate batteries and have great luck. Will never buy the ones at Sams again.
GILAELKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:34 PM   #23
Sdgood1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23720
I’ve used the 12v Walmart marine start deep cycle. Have 4 when I bought the newer rig I went ahead and replaced all 4. 2 were 10 yrs old (getting weak) and 2 were 7 yrs. old. And so far so good with the new ones. Will probably go with 4 Trojan 6v when or if they need replaced again. IMHO

Steven & Denise
New to us 2014 3150RL
Chino Valley, AZ
Sdgood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:03 PM   #24
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
When we bought our unit it was ordered with two batteries even though we have the RV fridge. It showed up with one battery and the case was for a single battery. I know that the dealers install the batteries but Keystone supply’s the case. I called my Keystone contact and he had a dual battery case sent to me free of charge. His statement was that all Montana’s with the residential fridges come standard with two batteries. I also am a believer in Trojan Batteries and I have 6volt wet cells in my Montana. I am surprised that your Montana only came with one battery unless your dealer cheated out and only put one battery in your unit.
Happy roads to you.

Tom Marty
Old 03-31-2020, 08:25 PM   #25
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdgood1 View Post
I’ve used the 12v Walmart marine start deep cycle. Have 4 when I bought the newer rig I went ahead and replaced all 4. 2 were 10 yrs old (getting weak) and 2 were 7 yrs. old. And so far so good with the new ones. Will probably go with 4 Trojan 6v when or if they need replaced again. IMHO
The Walmart Marine Batteries while they call them Deep Cycle they are Hybrid primarily designed for Starting with some non altinator support more like a hybrid battery great for starting and Ok for peripheral deep cycle 12v house. They discharge faster than a dedicated Deep Cycle.With that said just be careful not to allow then to discharge below 50% while this is well known it is more critical with these start batteries that discharge faster then true dedicated Deep cycles. I swear by the Walmart Marine Batteries for our Boat (we have a 48') and I have 4 of them 2 for the two Hino Diesels and two for the Bow and Stern Thruster with a crossover/backup if one bank is weak. I am on year 5 with them and could not be happier.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:28 PM   #26
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by GILAELKHUNTER View Post
I bought 2 12v Interstate batteries at sams club for my 6.0 diesel truck, the first ones didn't last 6 months, I took them to my local Interstate dealer for replacement and was told the black case Interstate batteries were a Sams special and they would not warranty them, was told to take them back to Sams. Returned them to Sams and got 2 more and they didn't last 4 months. I have always/and still use the white and green Interstate batteries and have great luck. Will never buy the ones at Sams again.
Everyplace I look, Sams sells Duracell now, not Interstate. Don't know when/if they changed.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:46 AM   #27
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by GILAELKHUNTER View Post
What people do not understand there is a HUGE difference between 12V Start batteries and even 12V house batteries vs 6V deep Cycle. They should NEVER be compared while Interstate makes great Start batteries they make very inferior 6V deep Cycle, Whereas Trojan specializes in Deep Cycle batteries and leads that category they are not as well known fo 12V Start Batteries.

My 2019 3791RD came with two Interstate 12V batts and after 12 months they will not last more than 1-2 hours of lights. Which is why I am replacing with 4 225AH Trojans this week and likely add two more soon.

By the way I picked up 4 Trojan T105 Pluss 225AH for $500 ($125 ea) out the door no core required bought from Online Battery Sales (they also deliver)

https://www.onlinebatterysale.com/pr...rojan-battery/
Old 04-01-2020, 04:28 PM   #28
GILAELKHUNTER
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24575
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
Everyplace I look, Sams sells Duracell now, not Interstate. Don't know when/if they changed.
It's a good thing that they did change, they were junk imo.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:49 PM   #29
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Those Sam's Club Duracells for $89.00 are actually rebranded Deka
Pro Master GC10 golf car batteries. They are manufactured by East Penn.
This model is the least powerful of the Deka GC2 line but still a very good high quality battery.

I have the Deka GC25 (235 amp/hour version) in our Wildcat. They are starting their 6th year and still in great shape. They have been through Hundreds if not Thousand of cycles as we dry camp much of the time.

If I can't find Crown Batteries I'll definitely go with the Deka/Duracell/Napa 235 amp/hour version in our Montana. Yes, Napa auto parts 8146 is also the same Deka GC25 Battery. Excellent Batteries.

I've used Crown, Deka and Trojan 6V GC2 batteries in our scissor lifts over two decades of extremely hard use. Crown is head and shoulders above the other two. I've not found their equal yet.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:10 PM   #30
GILAELKHUNTER
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24575
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
What people do not understand there is a HUGE difference between 12V Start batteries and even 12V house batteries vs 6V deep Cycle. They should NEVER be compared while Interstate makes great Start batteries they make very inferior 6V deep Cycle, Whereas Trojan specializes in Deep Cycle batteries and leads that category they are not as well known fo 12V Start Batteries.

My 2019 3791RD came with two Interstate 12V batts and after 12 months they will not last more than 1-2 hours of lights. Which is why I am replacing with 4 225AH Trojans this week and likely add two more soon.

By the way I picked up 4 Trojan T105 Pluss 225AH for $500 ($125 ea) out the door no core required bought from Online Battery Sales (they also deliver)

https://www.onlinebatterysale.com/pr...rojan-battery/

I wasn't comparing batteries, just giving my opinion of sams club batteries.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:04 PM   #31
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
For the OP I installed my 4 Trojans today removing the two 12v. As you can see the battery box barely fits but is doable. Even if you only buy two 12V you should still buy the 4 battery box so you can easily upgrade. You can just build a filler to take up the extra space.

As mentioned above I purchased 4 Trojan T105 Plus 225 AH $125 Ea no tax and no core required ($500 total )https://www.onlinebatterysale.com/store/

the Battery Box was purchased from All Battery Sales and Service $80 https://allbatterysalesandservice.co...atteries-gcq-g

I bought the 2" vent for the lid from Amazon $5
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

I Just ordered the Watering system for $79 so they will for the most part be Maintenance free as I will gravity feed the system.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Flow-...bg-u24v-4g.htm

Total Cost of new 4 new batteries and box $665

Old 04-02-2020, 07:16 AM   #32
powerhaulic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20884
I installed 2 premium Interstate 6v golf car batteries, In the stock battery box. Good to go, will run fridg and heat overnight which is all we need when on the road traveling.
Lippert AirRide pinbox / PullRite SuperLight hitch
powerhaulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:54 AM   #33
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
For the OP I installed my 4 Trojans today removing the two 12v. As you can see the battery box barely fits but is doable. Even if you only buy two 12V you should still buy the 4 battery box so you can easily upgrade. You can just build a filler to take up the extra space.

As mentioned above I purchased 4 Trojan T105 Plus 225 AH $125 Ea no tax and no core required ($500 total )https://www.onlinebatterysale.com/store/

the Battery Box was purchased from All Battery Sales and Service $80 https://allbatterysalesandservice.co...atteries-gcq-g

I bought the 2" vent for the lid from Amazon $5
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

I Just ordered the Watering system for $79 so they will for the most part be Maintenance free as I will gravity feed the system.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Flow-...bg-u24v-4g.htm

Total Cost of new 4 new batteries and box $665

Looked at the online battery site you recommend and you are correct about the price IF you can pickup at one of their locations which they show only to be in Wash., Or., Calif., Or Colo. Not sure what shipping would be....probably not cheap. But I do agree with you about those trojan batteries being the way to go. I got their 6v AGM so not have to deal with back-breaking chore of checking and watering . Also had to pay tax.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:16 AM   #34
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I have documented my residential refrigerator usage on 12 volt systems. I calculate 20 amp hours per hour. Since lead acid battery’s should not be drawn down more than 50 % of total you need a lot of battery power (fuel tank) at 20 amp hour for eight hours you have 400 amp hours or a battery bank that is 800 amp hour. If you are going to run off grid I suggest a battery management monitor like the Victron 712. I can provide the details of my calculations if you desire. Safe travels and stay healthy.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:22 PM   #35
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Lightsout that is a nice looking conversion to four batteries. I am a believer in Trojan batteries, I have two in my Montana and had two in my old Vanguard fifth wheel that lasted for six or seven years even with a lot worse charging system than what is on our Montana’s.
Happy roads to you.

Tom Marty
Old 04-02-2020, 03:33 PM   #36
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteandJoan View Post
Looked at the online battery site you recommend and you are correct about the price IF you can pickup at one of their locations which they show only to be in Wash., Or., Calif., Or Colo. Not sure what shipping would be....probably not cheap. But I do agree with you about those trojan batteries being the way to go. I got their 6v AGM so not have to deal with back-breaking chore of checking and watering . Also had to pay tax.
Fortunately I am in Washington so I ordered online and picked them up. What worked for me was no core charge and no tax so that was an additional $35 per battery savings. (My 12v that I had in the RV were still like new)

there is another company (USAbatterysales.com) that ships nationally with Free Shipping however their Batteries are more expensive $157 so $30 more (still reasonable though for delivery) I have heard that they will also wave the core charge if you say it is for solar.

there website is https://usabatterysales.com/pd-troja...ttery-free.cfm
Old 04-03-2020, 09:37 PM   #37
Empty Nest
Established Member

M.O.C. #20737
Today I just installed two L16 400ah hour 6v batteries (AGM) in our coach today. Replaced two five year old Interstate wet cell CG2’s. It took a new battery box and lifting two 17” tall 123lb batteries into the new box was not fun but the gym’s been closed...

Next is new theatre seating and the inverter. I need to get back to real work or I am going to go broke !
Empty Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:41 PM   #38
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Hey lightsout, looks like a really nice conversion. Do the batteries fit so tight that the "drain" hole for gases is blocked tightly?
Old 04-04-2020, 05:31 PM   #39
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
Hey lightsout, looks like a really nice conversion. Do the batteries fit so tight that the "drain" hole for gases is blocked tightly?
The drain hole in the bottom is almost centered the box is quite deep leaving about 4" above batteries so the Vent is unobstructed.

The bottom drain is for water (spills) the gasses emitted by batteries is Hydrogen Sulfide which is lighter than air so what is the most important is the top vent. Even then that is only a product of over charging.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:48 PM   #40
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Charging always produces hydrogen and oxygen. And loss of battery water. The reason I asked was that you don't want a small hydrogen accumulation inside the battery box or worse, inside the front storage compartment due to poor airflow and venting. At a concentration of only four percent by volume, hydrogen becomes a potent explosive hazard — and most published standards recommend keeping hydrogen levels below one percent.The way to maintain this safe concentration is to take advantage of hydrogen’s natural tendency to rise. Good flow-thru venting will accomplish this. Make sure water is replaced at the end of heavy recharge cycles also.