Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2020, 09:42 AM   #21
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
First and foremost, my humble opinion is both spouses need to know how to do everything on the RV. A number of years ago, one of our dear MOC friends would never let his wife drive the truck, let alone pulling the RV. He ended up having a medical emergency and being transported by Flight for Life. There his wife sat, hundreds of miles away, with never having driven the truck or pulled the camper. Can’t happen to you? Guess again. So, if that woke you up to why it’s important, good.

Now, especially with Covid 19 around, there are plenty of wide open school parking lots. There are driving schools and the MOC rally as other options if you aren’t patient enough. No men allowed at the ladies driving school. My wife has pulled solo through Milwaukee rush hour traffic, she has driven through Chicago and anywhere I need her to spell me. It’s not good enough to just learn, they need to practice.

And for those who commented that the RV is no place to learn, where did you start? We all had a first time, even if it was a long time ago. Soap box stored.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:50 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
When on the road Helen and I swap driving usually fuel stop to fuel stop. She has pulled everywhere under any conditions. When backing she is in the drivers seat and I am outside monitoring and directing when needed. She backs better that I do.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 01:59 PM   #23
Leftie Canuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23585
We found several commercial truck driver training schools that would provide the RV towing knowledge. In our jurisdiction, towing an RV over 10,500 lbs requires passing a road and knowledge test, and without encouragement, my wife decided to get her certification. I am so glad she did - it gave her a lot of self-confidence, and she often spells me off on our RV trips. It is also a comfort to know that if needed, she could take over in an unplanned event, and get the truck and rig where it has to go.

So, I would check with some commercial truck driver training schools for those willing/able to deal with RV towing.
Leftie Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 08:00 AM   #24
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
First and foremost, my humble opinion is both spouses need to know how to do everything on the RV. A number of years ago, one of our dear MOC friends would never let his wife drive the truck, let alone pulling the RV. He ended up having a medical emergency and being transported by Flight for Life. There his wife sat, hundreds of miles away, with never having driven the truck or pulled the camper. Can’t happen to you? Guess again. So, if that woke you up to why it’s important, good.

Now, especially with Covid 19 around, there are plenty of wide open school parking lots. There are driving schools and the MOC rally as other options if you aren’t patient enough. No men allowed at the ladies driving school. My wife has pulled solo through Milwaukee rush hour traffic, she has driven through Chicago and anywhere I need her to spell me. It’s not good enough to just learn, they need to practice.

And for those who commented that the RV is no place to learn, where did you start? We all had a first time, even if it was a long time ago. Soap box stored.
Given your story I think I would want my wife on the way to the hospital to make decisions about my health and not trying to drive a 40 ft. camper into a hospital parking lot that will be no doubt be in the middle of town with narrow drives in a state of mind of complete distraction. Just tell the PD to call someone to take to impound and deal with it later, Towing, Hotels, car rentals all around.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:57 AM   #25
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
First, I'm a man, so I can say far too many men are controlling and feel they are the only ones who can do certain things. I know, I've been on one of them in the past. I refused to relinquish control to anyone else for any reason, let alone driving any of my vehicles, motorcycles, or anything I owned at the time.

Then came the day I got married and my mind-set changed. It was no longer all about me and "mine". It was about "us" and "we". It became very obvious, very fast, when we got our first band-new vehicle together that she needed to learn how to drive it. It was a 5 speed manual pick-up truck. She had never driven a manual before, ever. She definitely needed to learn. I had to swallow my self-egotism and just let her grind the gears a few times. In a very short while, she was driving as good as anyone ever could.

Fast forward, we got our first pop-up, later travel trailer, later fifth wheel. In all situations, from towing with a mini-van, to a 3500 dually diesel, I've insisted she learn how to drive, handle it, navigate, back-up, hitch and unhitch completely by herself. And she's done so marvelous! Has she scared the stuffings out of me? Oh yes! On many occasions. Did I bite my tongue? Oh yes, on many occasions. Has he ever had a wreck, gone off the road, banged into something? Absolutely NOT. After all these years, am I still apprehensive when she takes the wheel? Yes. But soon relax.

She doesn't like to drive or tow the right, but I keep insisting she do, and keep her skills up. Why? For a very simple reason...

If I ever have a heart-attack and die! I know she has the skills and ability and talent and where-with-all to get both truck and fifth wheel back home and in the driveway safe .... WITHOUT ME!

Give your wife a break. If she want's to do it, let her. YOUR life may depend on her ability to drive for YOU in the event you become incapacitated for any reason.

She has to learn somehow. Swallow your male ego and just let her do it.
DutchmanSport, I think your wife logged in under your profile and is giving advice. Or do guys share the posting duties too?😉. Don't think I've ever heard a guy tell another guy to swallow his male ego. 😀

Putting ANYONE, regardless of sex, behind the wheel of a vehicle with the mass, weight, size and truck/trailer combo without proper training is very poor advice.

This is not like teaching your daughter how to drive daddy's suburban in the high school parking lot.

Driving is absolutely THE most dangerous thing we do everyday. And for those of you who think you can stick someone behind the wheel to learn as you go, you significantly contribute to the 35,000 DEATHS that happen on the US roads each year.

How do you learn? Formal training. Some of us got that through jobs that require heavy equipment operators, some get it through signing up for driving schools, some get it through RV clubs.

Safety is not sexist. If a person wants to learn, let them take the initiative to learn, without having their hand held. There won't be time for hand holding when that person has to make a split second decision that may or may not save your life.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:23 AM   #26
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post

Horrible advice and examples.

If your friend had a medical emergency at his house she'd be doing the same thing. When an emergency happens, you don't need to worry about the RV. Just focus on the emergency. People who have formal training know this already.

If it were to happen while driving down the road, there is no amount of training that is going teach a person to jump into the driver's seat while occupied by a driver and continue driving down the road. No need for fear mongering examples.

Driving is more than turning a steering wheel and pressing the gas pedal.

I learned how to drive heavy equipment in the Army. Feel free to pick up a rifle if you want to follow that path.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15276941490_da55e1a8ae_b.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	5804  
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:39 AM   #27
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
[QUOTE=McRod;1177089]Horrible advice and examples.

If your friend had a medical emergency at his house she'd be doing the same thing. When an emergency happens, you don't need to worry about the RV. Just focus on the emergency. People who have formal training know this already.

If it were to happen while driving down the road, there is no amount of training that is going teach a person to jump into the driver's seat while occupied by a driver and continue driving down the road. No need for fear mongering examples.

Driving is more than turning a steering wheel and pressing the gas pedal.

I learned how to drive heavy equipment in the Army. Feel free to pick up a rifle if you want to follow that path.[/QUO

Yep been there and done that. This is where I learned also. Yes it was a blast playing with multi million dollar equipment to learn on at 20 years old.
VN 69-70
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:50 PM   #28
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
I disagree with Mark. Just get her on a quiet part of the interstate and do it. It sounds like she's already driving, she just needs experience.

In a huge parking lot will help a little but she needs to be on the road.

If she scares you close your eyes.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:43 PM   #29
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 3931fb View Post
Dont know what thread to put this under. My wife wants to help me with the towing of the Montana. Does anyone know of a school that might help train here in towing. She is a good driver but when we are in tow she scares me to death. I think if there was a class that she might learn how to tow. Thanks for all your help in this matter.

Charlie
Charlie,

There are several wife's that tow them. Jim Fischer in New Bern, NC does instruction. He is on the forum here. My wife does fine, but it is best if I am not there. When we get to the 8' wide lanes, I get nervous and jerky. The 9' and 10' lanes I am OK. The Fall Rally has a ladies class also.

Bill and Jan Mains use to split the driving, Jan was just good or better at it than Bill.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:17 PM   #30
Becky68

M.O.C. #24019
My husband and I had to go to Yuma to help his snowbird folks through a pretty bad illness. Long story short, my husband drove their truck and fiver and I drove our truck and fiver from Yuma back to LaGrande OR. My advice to her is learn how before you have to. Highway driving was pretty easy for me, didn't even know the trailer was behind us, BUT, gas stations, driving through Las Vegas and a few other fun experiences along the way made me wish I'd learned earlier.
Becky68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:24 PM   #31
Wendi
Established Member

M.O.C. #22279
I don't think there is any magical gene in men to make it okay for them to tow a vehicle and not women. My dad would be having a good laugh at this thread!

Since I had to teach my husband how to hook up our 5th wheel and have coached him in towing, backing, setting up, breaking down and overall care of our RVs. He did none of it growing up and I did.

For her nerves, she can start out in a parking lot or on streets that are not too busy. If Your (general your) attitude is she can't do it she just might be nieve enough to think she can't when she is just as capable as anyone.

Curious how many of the men on this thread went to school to learn to tow their RV?
Wendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:57 PM   #32
DaveK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23470
What an important topic. This is not about wives, year 2020, shedding old perceptions or "getting over it." Towing is serious and no time for a novice of any gender. I also see "experienced" people who do things that blow my mind. Being able to back up a trailer is not towing.

There's a great need for a very (maybe 60 hours) comprehensive towing course. Towing a 10,000+ rig is not like driving a car. You often have no room for error. Towing requires judgement and if a person has little judgment on how to handle instant emergencies, it's dangerous.

I believe this could be the most important issue for the RV world. Or example, stopping or controlling speed on long downhills is not about stepping on the brakes.

Thanks for raising the topic.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:59 PM   #33
azeagleye
Established Member

M.O.C. #22231
Wife Towing

My wife and I took an all day Saturday class at one of the truck driving schools in west Phoenix. The morning was on premise in the parking lot - it was a kick watching her parallel park the rig. Afternoon was first spent driving around old parts of town - construction, narrow roads, etc - and then freeway driving up in the mountains and back down. Even took the instructor to our storage lot to get pointers on a blind back-in. For almost a year she did all the backing in at campgrounds and the storage lot. If you become unable to drive or even need to share driving duties it's a great insurance plan.
azeagleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 02:00 PM   #34
azeagleye
Established Member

M.O.C. #22231
Outstanding - good for you!
azeagleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 02:34 PM   #35
chulavista
Established Member

M.O.C. #25440
I'm the wife and I grew up towing trailers, hauling horses, hay, etc. He did too. I don't do much of the towing now, my hubby is a control freak. LOL!! That's not to say he wouldn't let me drive if I asked, he would for sure. He would drive me crazy about telling me I'm doing something wrong, though.

So for the OP, maybe it would be best to send her to towing school rather than trying to teach her yourself, as you have already indicated she scares the water out of you. With that alone, you will not be relaxed, you will most probably not be a good teacher. That would only make a tense situation much worse. But I agree with everyone else - she needs to know how, and she needs to be comfortable doing it. Send her to school.

As for me, I'm asking for the drivers seat a lot more than I do, just for the practice. I know how, I am the one that does all the backing and parking, with him giving me directions. We do that part very well. We have just become too comfortable, I like the passenger seat. LOL!
Retirement May 31 2020
chulavista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 02:52 PM   #36
Stix
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25024
https://www.rvschool.com/school-locations/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 3931fb View Post
Dont know what thread to put this under. My wife wants to help me with the towing of the Montana. Does anyone know of a school that might help train here in towing. She is a good driver but when we are in tow she scares me to death. I think if there was a class that she might learn how to tow. Thanks for all your help in this matter.

Charlie
https://www.rvschool.com/school-locations/
Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 03:15 PM   #37
pacbj
Established Member

M.O.C. #23907
My wife has towed every camper we’ve ever owned. Starting with a 21’ bp, then a 35’ bp, and now our 42’ 5er. She went to the same trailer towing school I did...the one behind our truck wheel. She doesn’t back it in unless she has to, but its very rare she doesn’t drive at least one way on our trips. You had to learn, she does too. Unless you went to trailer towing school don’t expect her to.
pacbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:48 PM   #38
drog55chev
Established Member

M.O.C. #24480
Without reading every post I'll say this. Man, woman, old or young there is a certain percentage of people that should not be towing and others that shouldn't even be driving. Women are just as capable as men but it depends on ones situation. My wife will never drive our rig because it would make her nervous no matter how much training she had so that's not an option for us. I have never been a good passenger either and can't relax if someone else is driving. You can be distracted driving a regular vehicle and may need to slam on the brakes. With 20,000+ pounds behind you there is no room for distraction or any sudden over steers. Ones reaction time is critical when towing. Of course there is speed, wind, curves, gravity, etc. too. In an emergency situation Newtons three laws of motion come into play along with the sphincter.
drog55chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:06 PM   #39
lj_cox
Established Member

M.O.C. #19296
Speaking as a "wife who drives", I highly recommend the RV driving school. I took the two day course when it was still Dick Reed's RV Driving School, and my SIL took the same course last year. They have locations around the country and they take you out in your own rig to teach you what you need to know to tow safely and well.

I went from white-knuckling from rest stop to rest stop to confident enough that now I do most of the towing. DH can work in the truck and we have the weekends to relax and sightsee. Hope this helps!

https://www.rvschool.com/
lj_cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:20 PM   #40
Pa_5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20027
My husband is a baby boomer and I'm slightly younger. As soon as we bought our dually and 5er, we both agreed it was important for each of us to know how to do everything from hooking up, driving/towing, understand how the electric brakes work, setting up camp, etc. IMHO it's crazy to not be prepared as much as possible for life's inevitable curve balls. There are no "his" or "her" tasks. If you don't feel comfortable teaching someone else how to do something new, ask a professional to do it. For example, when I wanted to become better at shooting a handgun, my husband could have taught me. However, he didn't want to teach me any of his bad habits so he took me to a shooting range and paid a professional to teach me. If you ask him, I am more accurate than he is with a handgun. I am very proud that my husband "allows" me to be an equal part of this team.
Pa_5er is offline   Reply With Quote