Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2009, 06:49 AM   #1
bushmill
Established Member

M.O.C. #9088
frozen electric windows

I have a 2003 2500HD Silverado Duramax. I am spending the winter season in Montana. All four of the electric windows are froze. When I engage, I can here mechanism try to start, windows may move a fraction. I do not have access to warm garage. Any experience out there on freeing frozen windows? Is their a product to put on seals to prevent freezing? Thanks for your input!

bushmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:17 AM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
My Dodge does the same thing. I think it gets hung up on the bottom rubber seal. Once I clear all the ice or frost off the window I just smack it with the palm of my hand a couple of times and it frees them up. Jim C.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:18 AM   #3
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Try pouring windshield washer fluid at the bottom of each window. They also sell a spray deicer that may work better.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #4
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
My 2005 GMC does the smae thing. I leave my window down just a touch so in the morning i can put the window up and it breaks the frozen seal. I have been doing this for a few years. It probally works better if you have window shades to prevent blowing snow or rain from entering your vehicle.
Have a great new year.
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
kilch123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9104
I think the safest would be windshield de-icer spray (alcohol)

or the windshild washer fluid (diluted alcohol)

kilch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:53 AM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
After the windows thaw out enough to lower, clean the rubber seal at the bottom off and put a light coating of silicone on it.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
Frankenstien
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7274
Po Mans Tricks.... for Surviving Montana, Dakotas and other points North cold and wet... Use tip # 4 for the areas around the top of the door glass and channels.

Keep your headlights clear with car wax, Just wipe ordinary car wax on your headlights. (Don’t forget to buff off) It contains special water repellents that will prevent that messy mixture from accumulating on your lights - lasts about 6 weeks.

Squeak-proof your wipers with rubbing alcohol. Wipe the wipers with a cloth saturated with rubbing alcohol or ammonia. This one trick can make badly streaking & squeaking wipers change to near perfect silence & clarity.
Same stuff that’s in that little wipe pad that comes with most new wiper blades.

Ice-proof your windows with vinegar! Frost on it's way? Just fill a spray bottle with three parts vinegar to one part water & spritz it on all your windows at night. In the morning, they'll be clear of icy mess. Vinegar contains acetic acid, which raises the melting point of water---preventing water from freezing.

Prevent car doors from freezing shut with cooking spray. Not usually an issue here in the Seattle area but have had this problem in the Midwest… Wax paper is known to work also , just not as effective. Spray on the rubber seals around car doors & rub it in with a paper towel. The cooking spray prevents water from melting into the rubber.

Fog-proof the inside of your windshield with shaving cream. Spray some shaving cream on the inside of your windshield & wipe if off with paper towels. Shaving cream has many of the same ingredients found in commercial defoggers.

De-ice your lock in seconds with hand sanitizer! Just put some hand sanitizer gel on the key & the lock & the problems solved. Most hand sanitizers have a combination of alcohol and aloe Alcohol melts, aloe applies a light lubrication.
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Frankenstien

Po Mans Tricks.... for Surviving Montana, Dakotas and other points North cold and wet... Use tip # 4 for the areas around the top of the door glass and channels.

Keep your headlights clear with car wax, Just wipe ordinary car wax on your headlights. (Don’t forget to buff off) It contains special water repellents that will prevent that messy mixture from accumulating on your lights - lasts about 6 weeks.

Squeak-proof your wipers with rubbing alcohol. Wipe the wipers with a cloth saturated with rubbing alcohol or ammonia. This one trick can make badly streaking & squeaking wipers change to near perfect silence & clarity.
Same stuff that’s in that little wipe pad that comes with most new wiper blades.

Ice-proof your windows with vinegar! Frost on it's way? Just fill a spray bottle with three parts vinegar to one part water & spritz it on all your windows at night. In the morning, they'll be clear of icy mess. Vinegar contains acetic acid, which raises the melting point of water---preventing water from freezing.

Prevent car doors from freezing shut with cooking spray. Not usually an issue here in the Seattle area but have had this problem in the Midwest… Wax paper is known to work also , just not as effective. Spray on the rubber seals around car doors & rub it in with a paper towel. The cooking spray prevents water from melting into the rubber.

Fog-proof the inside of your windshield with shaving cream. Spray some shaving cream on the inside of your windshield & wipe if off with paper towels. Shaving cream has many of the same ingredients found in commercial defoggers.

De-ice your lock in seconds with hand sanitizer! Just put some hand sanitizer gel on the key & the lock & the problems solved. Most hand sanitizers have a combination of alcohol and aloe Alcohol melts, aloe applies a light lubrication.
Thanks for the tips.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:35 AM   #9
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
Occasionally I have had that problem. Once the truck gets warm they will thaw and work. I don't usually open the windows here in the winter. I just scrape them and turn on the mirror defroster to see and away we go.
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote