Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2007, 08:40 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Okay, let's counterbalance the negativity!

There's a great deal of negativity on the forum these days directed toward the Montana and Keystone. We've all had bad experiences with every recreational vehicle we've owned, some worse than other, which is typical of life in general. I just enjoy hearing the positive more. And many of the folks with positive comments sit back and don't share them. This is your chance. Please tell us about a fantastic place you've visited, something that has really served you well in your Montana, or a good experience you've had with Keystone.

Let's put a little sweetness back in the forum.

We enjoyed camping in Skagway, Alaska in our Montana which allowed us to go fishing for salmon and halibut.

We were treated very well at the Keystone Service Center when we needed our frame flex problem corrected and it didn't cost us a dime!

What's your story?

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:01 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Right on Judy!!!!

I am already on my 2nd Montana, was going to order my 3rd; a new Big Sky next week. That has been put on hold as I am heading back to college for another degree. In the mean time I will continue to use and enjoy my current 3400RL. The quality has been outstanding on my coach. There have been a few issues with the a/c unit, but looks like that has been resolved. (Thanks Dometic) My bedroom slide also had an issue, thanks to Keystone and the great folks at the Customer Service Center that too has been resolved. There is no such thing as a trouble free or perfect RV, I would be foolish to demand or expect such a thing. The friends I have made since owning my first Montana is something that I am truly grateful for. My latest journey; 7,000 miles in 7 weeks throughout the Midwest, including the fall rally in Goshen, IN is something that would not have happened had it not been for my Montana and this club. To date I have logged 15,000 trouble free miles on my 3400RL. I do not regret one minute or mile of ownership. Thank you Keystone for building a quality coach that offers great value and superior ownership to its owners. I look forward to the future to see what great things are yet to come from Keystone and the Montana.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:29 AM   #3
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We are on our second montana the new 3585 SA..we have not been able to camp yet but we have watched the Eagles game last Sunday on the LCD tv which came in perfect! Might add that the Eagles won too! We were nice and warm and the furnance is so much more quieter that in our last unit! We hope that this new unit will serve us well!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:45 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
A new Montana and a winning football team. How good does life get! We haven't experienced the latter this year!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I must say that I am a PROUD (yes I am shouting) owner of a 3400RL and have had minimal issues. All fixed to my satisfaction by a dealer that knows how to take care of a customer. We have dragged Monty to Florida and back, Dale Hollow in Tennessee and several state parks in Indiana and I always have my chest sticking out when I pull in and everybody is looking at Monty. At first I thought it was my good looks and later someone told me they were admiring our Monty. I had a tire that wouldn't hold air and guess what - it had a piece of wire stuck in it.
So put me on the list to provide positive references as I tend to ramble on about how good our Monty is.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:59 AM   #6
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
We are on our second Montana, and it is just great, although we are not able to travel like most of the MOC Members, we have a little school age youngster with us, we do enjoy local camping, Long Point Park just north of the Sebastian Inlet in south Melbourne Beach is absolutely beautiful, and right on the east shore of the Indian River. Get a riverfront slot and bring your boat. Waking up and stepping outside to see the sun rising over the Atlantic Ocean, coffe cup in hand. We also go over to Orlando to see some of the attractions, my grandson loves Epcot, we stay at the KOA in Kissimmee, it is a very nice place to stay, very clean and the folks there are very friendly. This coming weekend we are off to spend the weekend at Manatee Hammock campground in Titusville, on the West bank of the Indian River, this will be our first visit, everyone tells me it is beautiful. Both Manatee Hammock and Longpoint park are Brevard County Parks. We just love our Montana.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:09 AM   #7
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
All I can say is GREAT things about Montana! I love my unit, and have not had ANY problems at all. Everything works just like it's suppose to, and nothing has broken. I've been living in this unit since April and I don't have a thing to complain about at all. Another thing, it is quite possible that some of the problems people have reported may not be a manufacturer problem but an operator problem. I just think if you take care of things they will take care of you. my 2cents Allison
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:28 AM   #8
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Happy to share our positive experience with our Montana, purchased in spring 04. That summer we drove it from NY to WA and OR via CO and managed to see all our kids and a lot of great country. A fabulous four weeks. Also enjoyed a host of short trips locally including the 1st NE Rally. In summer of 05 the 5er served as Bill's recuperative cottage as he recovered from serious back problems. We lived in it long-time (...shhhh..) from May through Sept while he did PT. The summer of 06 the Montana did duty again as our rehab home while Pat convalesced from her misadventures with heart catheterization. We were so grateful to have a refuge where we could manage a semi-normal life. We sure learned alot about how we wanted to live when we were lucky enough to be able to consider long-timing as a real option. Now that Bill is retired, we are happy to know what we need for the next adventure in our life--and so we are trading our beloved 2980 for a 3400. We are sorry to see it go--but we are SO anxious to be out on the road and see as much of this country as possible and meet as many of the wonderful folks out there as we can. Thanks Keystone.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:38 AM   #9
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Our Monty was SO awesome looking that we had to remodel our brick house to match!
The only problems we have had, we've been able to take of ourselves
from the help of our great Moc family and our fantastic dealer.
Absolutely no complaints here!
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:46 AM   #10
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
RIGHT ON JUDY!!
Phyllis and I bought our Monty in July of 2005, It being a New 2004 3280RL, We have had it all over 9 western states and have never had a problem with it. We have had it in winds up to 60mph and hard driving sideays rain. We've never had a leak, nor a blown tire nor failing cupboards. We have been fulltiming now for one year exactly today! I wouldn't trade it for anything. As soon as Phyllis retires, (1 yr 6 months), we're going to hookup and go where the wind blows us. No plans no Itinerary, just roll, If we find a spot we like, we'll stay for a week or month or 3 or whatever.
We looked for 6 months before deceiding on the Monty and have had absolutely no regrets. Well, maybe one, THAT WE DIDN'T DO IT SOONER

had to correct spelling
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:48 AM   #11
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Well, so far we have logged over 10,000 miles since April, when we took ownership. We have a had a few problems, but so have I had a few problems with my truck and my stick house and my...you get the picture.

I called Keystone today to tell them about 4 problems we are having and that we wanted on the record prior to our warranty expiration date. They are:

1) Yellowing on the ceiling where the glue holds the ceiling to the cross rails.
2) D/R slide-out creaks and groans (probably just an adjustment).
3) Three of our day/night shades have small tears in them due to the end caps coming off (frequently).
4) Our sliding window in the entertainment slide sticks and probably just needs an adjustment.

Well, I have to tell you, that the kind fellow on the other end of the phone asked me what the problems are, asked me for the last 8 digits of our VIN, and said "No problem". He was polite, as was I. Now, that is GREAT customer service.

So, I am assuming that when we return to our dealer, we will have these small items addressed and we will be on our way, again. We, too, get a lot of head turns when we pull into an RV park with our Montana. In fact, at one place in Indian Springs, when we pulled up to the front entrance and my wife and I looked at each other and said "oh, no", due to the run-down appearance, I called the place I had made reservations with in the hopes that I had the wrong one! While on the phone, the manager came running out, shouting into the phone "Is that your big, beautiful Montana?". Well, we spent one night at $15 and went on to another destination.

So far, we have had wonderful service from both Keystone and our dealer, Traveler's RV in Reno, Nevada.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:50 AM   #12
stevemc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6587
We just got our Mountaineer home Saturday and had supper in it last night!
I know we're not qualified to comment because we just got it and have had no experience with it yet but we love it so far. We had a problem with the converter but I already have that fixed. We're really looking forward to our first spring outing. Although it's not a real "Monty" we're proud to have a Mountaineer for our first RV!
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:55 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Judy, You are a nice lady, and Rich, you are a Hoot!
I love our Montana, we are proud to have such a nice RV, one we have always yearned for, and so happy to own, she has given us many month's of pleasure and luxury one could only dream of, just a few years ago.
Because people criticize a wonderful product as this, does not mean the product has no worth. If Keystone gets no feedback, they will not know how to improve the Montana for future buyers. I applaud your positive outlook and will continue to enjoy your posts.
Ozz, the troublemaker.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:03 AM   #14
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We are on our 2nd Montana. Because of the way we thought about the 1st one we never looked at another brand for our 2nd. Bought it just before the Goshen rally and had an electrical problem on the way. Took it to the Service Center at the factory and they smiled, fixed it and had us out in short order. Had blue awnings on our 2006 2980 with brown graphics. Talked with Brandon at Keystone when we were there and he only asked if we could wait and have the dealer take care of it. A&S RV in Auburn Hills, MI worked with the factory and changed the awning from blue to brown to match the graphics (at no cost to us). Problems located, problems fixed and all is well. Thank you Keystone and A&S.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:16 AM   #15
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We are very pleased with our Monty. We have put about 10,000 miles on it and no problems.
Under warranty fixed a drawer, a day/night shade replaced, screen door adjusted. Cleaned our furnace. None of this cost us.
We did have some problems with our AC and Durtherm replaced the AC after trouble shooting it several times. Also Durtherm replaced our fridge last fall.
We have been happy with our purchase and will buy another Montana and probably another. Not ready yet but another new Montana will be in our future.

The wonderful people we have met from this forum and at the rally has been an added bonus. What a great bunch of people!
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:18 AM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
As most of you know, I have no experience with my 3400 in storage yet, but do plan on running the roads this summer. It is heartwarming to hear all the positive remarks, even from some with probs. I can only hope and pray that I, too, will have a maintenance free (or little anyway) time.

Thanks for starting this topic..

Phil P. in the frozen north.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:29 AM   #17
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Well Patti and I were able to put over 15000 miles on our Montana last year and made a whole bunch of new friends doing it! Got to see some states we haven't seen yet and look forward to Branson Mo, Wisconson and our big trip tp Oregon next summer. By the way, this is our second Montana and if we would happen to need another, it will be a Montana!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:36 AM   #18
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Yep...I'm in with the "bought it but haven't been able to use it yet" group...LOL But, if all goes as planned, me and the critters will be hittin' the road for a little fun in the sun vacation in a few weeks. I purchased my RV at A&S also, and they are really a great, family owned business. I can't WAIT to take this beauty out for it's maiden voyage!!!

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:40 AM   #19
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Good Idea Judy
This is our second Montana. Both coaches had its faults, but were repaired. Our 2003 front living room unit was nice, but no room for visitors. The construction of both coaches has been of high standard. No leaks, sqeeks, or sags. we will probably purchase another one in a few years. we like our 2005 unit. The floor space and cabinets are great. Like a couple of members, we too have had a problem with one tire leaking around the rim. I can live with it and will probably change tires next year as I see some small cracks in the tires near the rims.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:52 AM   #20
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Thanks for the thread Judy! I am in total agreement, I'm so tired of everyone shouting about problems and not telling us all about the good experiences. I've had a couple minor issues with my 2006 2955RL and will never even consider another 5ver other than a Montana. I paid probably 10 times my Monty price for my stick house and have had exponentially more problems with it. I think Keystone, particularly Montana is a quality product and I will continue to sing their collective praises!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote