Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2020, 09:43 PM   #1
Brett
Established Member

M.O.C. #25561
Generator installation

I have a 2010 Montana Hickory Edition 3150RL which has a front compartment for a generator however the area where the generator would set doesn’t look very strong to hold the weight of a generator. I would like to see if I’m missing something to support the generator. If you can help thanks.

Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:45 PM   #2
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
That space is designed for a onan gen, the lower plate you are referring to is not designed to hold a generator whereas the Onan would bolt to the main level perimeter. You could possibly reinforce that lower level with say long L brackets however do not enclose that area. You should not operate a gas gen in there either unless you add the proper ventilation and blower fan to clear the air before starting (like on a boat with inboard)
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:53 PM   #3
Brett
Established Member

M.O.C. #25561
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
That space is designed for a onan gen, the lower plate you are referring to is not designed to hold a generator whereas the Onan would bolt to the main level perimeter. You could possibly reinforce that lower level with say long L brackets however do not enclose that area. You should not operate a gas gen in there either unless you add the proper ventilation and blower fan to clear the air before starting (like on a boat with inboard)
Thanks I’m going to do more research on brackets and the Onan generator .
Old 03-27-2020, 09:44 AM   #4
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
you may want to consider a portable generator if you are going to, at some point, sell your trailer, they won't give you anything for the value of the installed generator
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:25 AM   #5
Brett
Established Member

M.O.C. #25561
Thanks I believe that’s what I’ll do.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:52 PM   #6
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
My Onan 5500 generator is now in its 3rd trailer. There is no need to leave it in the trailer if you sell it.
Mr Pachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:35 PM   #7
Brett
Established Member

M.O.C. #25561
If possible can you show me a picture of how it’s mounted?I’m still considering all my options thanks.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:47 AM   #8
ChaseTX
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26041
Just curious has anyone installed a portable generator in that front compartment? I figure if you install some L brackets for strength. You don't even have to hard mount it, just put some sturdy push locks on it. Then install an attic vent and flex tube the muffler out the bottom, I feel like this would work. Am I missing something on this? I am just thinking about doing this, I don't want to re-invent the wheel, is there any post on this is already being done?
ChaseTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:14 AM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Try doing a Search on "portable generator front compartment" and read the discussions It is generally considered a bad idea.

Here is a sample of Threads about this;
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...nt+compartment

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:53 AM   #10
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseTX View Post
Just curious has anyone installed a portable generator in that front compartment? I figure if you install some L brackets for strength. You don't even have to hard mount it, just put some sturdy push locks on it. Then install an attic vent and flex tube the muffler out the bottom, I feel like this would work. Am I missing something on this? I am just thinking about doing this, I don't want to re-invent the wheel, is there any post on this is already being done?
So I have a 3791RD Legacy that has the Gen prep, yes you could put a portable in there I bought a Predator 3500 with that intention as they make a exhaust adapter, However that compartment is designed to support the Generator on the top level as previously discussed the lower level is not designed to support he weight and vibration of a Gen you wold have to look at re-enforcing it. Even then it is not going to be a good fit as it will be sitting down in the trough. What I also considered was I could put a Moryde Drawer in that compartment and set the gen on that then slide it out when in use.

Ultimately what I decided I am selling the Predator 3500 I am buying two 2000-2200w inverter Gens that I can pair up. I have 4 (and likely adding two more) Trojan 225AH batteries that will run the 12v as needed for 16-24 hours. I will likely only use the Gen to charge the batteries a long with a Solar Charger.

As mentioned before I would NEVER use my propane supply for generator, gens eat up the propane as well it is not very efficient. With the small 2200w gens they are so quite so I can put them on the back side of the RV and not hear them and if I need more power I can fire up the second one. If you need AC add a soft start to one of the AC and a 22w will easily run the AC and charge your batteries at the same time.

We do not boondock (at least no planned boondocking) had Class A's for years and it was rare that even used the Gen. It was mostly used for AC while driving. Also if you are boondocking you are likely not stacked up on top of each other so gen noise for other should be a non issue.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:42 PM   #11
ChaseTX
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26041
Gen

Thank you for the quick reply and I will take that into account before I proceed.
ChaseTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:58 PM   #12
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
I store my portable generator in there. There are two brackets on both the left and right side that are welded to the frame. I just put a solid piece of 3/4" wood to span the Gap and sit my gen on top.

The factory 50 amp hookup is in the back of the RV, so it's not practical to operate a portable gen in the front compartment.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 03:14 PM   #13
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
I store my portable generator in there. There are two brackets on both the left and right side that are welded to the frame. I just put a solid piece of 3/4" wood to span the Gap and sit my gen on top.

The factory 50 amp hookup is in the back of the RV, so it's not practical to operate a portable gen in the front compartment.
If you have a legacy package which includes Gen prep there is a transfer switch in the basement right behind the Gen area. One could wire a 50-amp plug to the transfer switch and plug your gen in there.