Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2021, 07:14 AM   #1
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
What Can I Run on This Generator

I was looking at a few generators that have somewhat long run times. Without knowing how much wattage the converter uses it's difficult to know what other loads I can run at the same time - microwave, TV (Receiver & Dish Wally), etc. I can run the furnace or water heater on propane and 12vdc (via converter). Just not sure how much the converter will use of the available 1800 watts from this generator - https://a-ipower.com/product/sua2300...ine-generator/.

I've read somewhere that the standard large (5k-11k watt) generators that are sold at all the big box stores like the Champion, Wen, Craftsman (non-inverter) will destroy the electronics in microwaves, modern refrigerators & TVs. What can anyone add to that?

Old 02-11-2021, 07:31 AM   #2
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
A generator of this size will run a trailer except for the a/c. It won't run everything at once but you can manage what is running. You should as you said use propane where you can. I would consider a name brand of generator such as Honda, Yamaha, etc. Yes, they cost more but there are reasons, many unseen, that account for that. Knockoffs cut corners to cut the price but that is ok for some folks. You can get auxiliary fuel tanks to extend run times as well.
Old 02-11-2021, 07:34 AM   #3
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Your converter/charger amp draw is variable depending on how much it needs to charge batteries and how many 12V appliances you are running. The max our PD 9260 can pull is 1000 watts. I suspect yours to be around the same.

Our microwave in the camper is 1600 watts by itself. As you can see things add up quickly. I would opt for a larger generator but definitely stay with an inverter style genny. Your not going to beat the Honda Inverters.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:35 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The so called contractor generators are designed to run at a constant speed of 3,600 rpm to generate 60 hz ac power. But, like any internal combustion engine, the speed can vary somewhat leading to slight variations in frequency and voltage.

The inverter generators run a variable speeds depending on load, low load equal slower speed, higher load equal higher speed. But because of how they create the final power thru an inverter, that power is pretty much a constant voltage and frequency, meaning "cleaner" power.

I know many do use contractor type generators, but with the electronics in these rigs, I would opt for an inverter generator.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:48 AM   #5
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
I've got one of the larger Champion brands that did a good job running the two a/c units last power outage. I do not recall running the microwave but the Samsung reefer had no issues and I'm sure that we ran our sticks & bricks 50" TV, Denon receiver, Dish Hopper, etc off it without issues. But recently I've read that these types of generators can cause issues. Just wondering the experience of others.

I'm guessing that most consumer electronics like Samsung refrigerators and TVs have fair filtering power supplies within them.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:08 AM   #6
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
A person can use old oil in an engine and hope that a good filter will make it all good. Much like poor electrical power, both will work but what is being damaged in the process? Certain tools and equipment run fine on contractor style generators because of how they operate. Finer electronics not so. It gets technical but researching the concept of pure sine wave power will explain it better than I can. Be aware some cheaper brand generators make their product sound like pure sine when in fact they are not.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:59 AM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I use a Honda 2000i and it runs lights, TV, Stereo, DirecTV receiver, DVD sound system, phone chargers, converter, and low draw 120V devices. The heater, water heater, and refer are all on 12V. It will not run the microwave, AC or a hair dryer (if anything else is running at the same time).

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:00 AM   #8
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
A person can use old oil in an engine and hope that a good filter will make it all good. Much like poor electrical power, both will work but what is being damaged in the process? Certain tools and equipment run fine on contractor style generators because of how they operate. Finer electronics not so. It gets technical but researching the concept of pure sine wave power will explain it better than I can. Be aware some cheaper brand generators make their product sound like pure sine when in fact they are not.
Well, isn't that just nifty - old oil and filters. Sounds like a lot of gobldegoop to me. So the only way to know if a generator is putting out pure sine wave is to have the know how and equipment to measure it. That's mostly above my pay grade. Most of the time we get what we pay for but not always. While I was searching for a generator, I saw the Honda recall on the model where the inverter shorted and caught fire.

So whatever I do is a gamble when it gets to 11 degrees, branches fall, kill power and I'm forced to hide in my 5r running it on external power. Either a 6,000 watt Champion (old, non inverter general purpose) here in my garage right now, or something I go get today at Sam's, HD, Lowes, etc, that has that inverter name in the description. Still not sure how much watts to bring home to run reefer, converter (lights, furnace) and maybe TV and possibly the microwave. Could do without that microwave since we have the gas stove and oven to cook with.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:05 AM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
That looks like a nice inverter generator. There are several made like it. They are all clones of the Honda. You should be able to get a parallel kit and run two at the same time doubling the wattage output. You probably can get it to run your ac with a soft start but that is all it will run. Harbor Freight makes a 3500 watt that is nice. It weighs about a hundred pounds and cost $850. I have a 3000 watt Honda that cost $1000. It now cost over $2000. I wouldn’t buy another but it is a great generator.
You do wont an inverter and not a standard generator. Your electronic equipment will thank you for that. Also everything now days has a electronic board in it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:15 AM   #10
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
That looks like a nice inverter generator. There are several made like it. They are all clones of the Honda. You should be able to get a parallel kit and run two at the same time doubling the wattage output. You probably can get it to run your ac with a soft start but that is all it will run. Harbor Freight makes a 3500 watt that is nice. It weighs about a hundred pounds and cost $850. I have a 3000 watt Honda that cost $1000. It now cost over $2000. I wouldn’t buy another but it is a great generator.
Lynwood
I ditched Honda things after paying extra for the label few years back and had issues with warranty claim on a high pressure washer.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:45 AM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
It is actually more than just about a pure sine wave. Just as important is maintaining the proper voltage level and frequency. And that is where the inverter generator had a major advantage over a contractor generator. A contractor generator can produce a pure sine wave, but unless it runs at exactly 3,600 rpm it will not be exactly 60 hertz.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:13 AM   #12
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
You should look at the newer dual fuel inverter generators, which allow you to run gas or propane. Champion makes a very nice one, which is 3400 watts for $1,000.00. I think Westinghouse has one too. I know Honda has been the top brand, but there are many other good companies out there now making great quality generators for a better price.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 02:31 PM   #13
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
I bought the Champion 3400, dual fuel, inverter for my last trailer and it worked very well. We used it so much that when we bought the new trailer we opted for a factory install for several reasons, mainly to be able to run it in storage while running back and forth getting ready to leave (cooling down both the trailer and the refrigerator) without having to worry about it being stolen.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:09 PM   #14
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
They are not cheap, but they sure are good: Click here. and if you get 2 of them and run in parallel, you can run everything (50 amp service) in your camper at the same time.... 2 air conditioners, microwave, electric water heater, electric fire place, electric refrigerator, hair dryer .... all at the same time.

One by itself, runs everything that any 30 amp shore power service will run. Power management with only 1, same as plugging into shore power.

Consider what you purchase before you settle for something less to save a dollar.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:27 PM   #15
nellie1289
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28145
I got two of these generators at costco when they had them for only $399. Run them in parallel, its a great generator. I keep one in my atv trailer and might take one along in the montana if I ever think i might need it, or can parallel them for the montana. I have a onan on board the Montana, but can attest, that generator is a GREAT little generator! Costco's "sale" price at $399 is so unreal!

https://www.costco.com/a-ipower-powe...100653776.html

2021 Montana 3854BR with 2014 Ram 3500 SRW Limited CC LB, 2021 Malibu 23 LSV, 2019 Can AM XRS turbo, 2017 Yamaha YXZ 1000R
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:36 PM   #16
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
I thought it was interesting that the Cummins was the same price at most suppliers. Was wondering why the price is higher than most similar. - Cummins name? Only the one with the Briggs and Stratton name has a similar price. Most others are in the $800 range. Also wonder where made. My Cummins in sig is made in Mexico.

I found something interesting while talking to a Nascar friend. He says many that camp at the races use "construction" style genny to power their entire rv. Said noise level is crazy high. He has not heard any horror stories about fried gizmos (TV, microwave, Satellite receivers, etc). He did mention that a good number have built-in models in expensive class A.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:42 PM   #17
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I know the intent of the last paragraph was to point out that construction style generators seem to work well for the racer crowd sine wave or not.
Bottom line ... end of discussion statement ... any open frame construction generator will not work well in about any campground due to noise. A few will come on here and state they run them all the time as the noise is minimal, but if you "can't hear thunder" ... you probably won't hear your genny howling either.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:21 PM   #18
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Yes, I would never consider running the Champion 5,500 watt monster we own now in any RV park. Way too loud! It's for emergency use at home and has worked well to run our Dish Hopper, TV, Denon receiver and 3 reefers over the years. I was considering a new one for better fuel usage and noise level. I've decided that if I get a 2nd genny, to make it a larger one than the earlier mentioned SUA2300. Something closer to the Predator 3500 Watt Super Quiet Inverter Generator ($850 @ Harbor Freight) or the Westinghouse iGen4500 Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator ($950 @ AMZN). Most every genny now sold has the "Inverter" tag. I suspect it's the going thing. I've worked on a few appliances over the years and most have fairly robust well filtered power supplies at the primary input. Not so sure about the cheap micro/convection oven in our current 5r.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:59 PM   #19
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I've never heard of appliances having a filtered power supply. If an appliance is designed to run on commercial grade electricity, why would it have a filter?
Old 02-12-2021, 11:20 AM   #20
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
generator at home for emergency use. 7500watt 10Kw surge.
I can run the hole house with the exception of the dishwasher. The circuit is more sensitive to the frequency. I have a fluke which measures frequency and an oscilloscope to measure the sine wave. I adjust the frequency to 60Hz and there are some spikes on the sign wave depending on surge demand.
The power company does supply 60 Hz but there are spikes, surges as well as brown outs, a voltage sag, This can last for milliseconds to seconds. Unless you monitor your power consistently. you will never know what you get at home. Campgrounds are much worse.
NOise is the biggest annoyances at a campground. The power quality is marginal at best at some campgrounds.
The classic Onan rv generator is lower RPM but still just induced voltage on a commentator and armature. Newer ones may be inverter technology. But the past 50 or 60 years has always been analog windings and not chopped AC.
There is a difference on true sign wave inverters vs chopped AC which looks like a Flat top at the peak vs a true sign wave (like you swing a jump rope) vs putting a box in between the rope. That is as basic as I can explain it.