Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2020, 12:30 PM   #1
vacationer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22355
fridge

I cant seem to get my fridge down below 45 on these hot days is that normal. In my 2019 374. I have ordered a little fan for inside to move air.

vacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:01 PM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
There are lots of prior posts that should help you, if you can find them. I have found searching for posts on this forum to be very difficult in the past. So, I offer this advice, to aid you. I assume you have an rv fridge and that you have the installation guide for your fridge. Review that document and then remove the upper vent panel...assuming the fridge is mounted in a slide. You want to insure that what you see is per the document. For a Norwood fridge, there should be a metal piece that directs airflow into the coils and it should be very close to the bottom of the coils. There should be another metal plate at the top that shields the top of the fridge and then curves outward to fall against the slide wall slightly above the vent opening. If these are to the document, then you should next make sure the two fans mounted in the top part of the fridge cycle on and off according to temperatures rising through the coils. These are controlled by a small metal sensor mounted on the coil. It has two wires on it and if you short out the sensor, you should hear the fans come on. These should be able to be heard from inside the trailer cycling on and off. It may be that the sensor is bad if you never hear the fans working during normal operation. Shorting out the sensor terminals with a screwdriver will tell you instantly that the fans do indeed work. Some have installed more fans behind the bottom vent panel to suck in more air to help bring temperatures down. A battery powered fan inside the fridge will help, but not a lot.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:31 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If the sun is beating down on that side on a very hot day in can happen.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:39 PM   #4
BandBmalin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22581
I had the same issue for over a year - Norcold 4 door. In my case, only issue was that center "flap" wasn't moving all the way to actually seal with the other door. Added a washer under that door to raise it ever so slightly and bam - all fixed. Now, fridge works great!! (and I live and camp in FL with lots of heat and still, no issues!)
2017 Fully Grown 5 Pound Toy Golden Doodle
BandBmalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:05 AM   #5
vacationer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22355
I saw where you can add fans to the top vent of the fridge. I took the top vent cover off last night but mine has a metal piece that covers the opening. Almost looks like it was never cut out to let air out from behind the fridge.
vacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:16 PM   #6
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationer View Post
I saw where you can add fans to the top vent of the fridge. I took the top vent cover off last night but mine has a metal piece that covers the opening. Almost looks like it was never cut out to let air out from behind the fridge.
Does it cover the whole opening or about half of it? If half or so, that’s the way it’s supposed to be. Check the flap on the LH door. VERY common for it to not close completely. Open both doors, then close the LH door slowly as you watch the flap. If it doesn’t flip completely closed, you need to put a small washer under the LH door, on the hinge pin to shim it upward. Had to do it to the one in our High Country that we just sold. LOTS of other people have had to do the same thing.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote