Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #21
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Tractor,

It's good to know that we can get better seals at NAPA. Up until I read your reply I thought I had to buy them from Dexter. I have no doubt that I will be replacing the seals when I do my end of summer maintenance.

Thanks,
Muddypaws

MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #22
tractor
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3421
Napa has a dexter book they were pricey but they will hold the pressure of greasing them without blowing out the back.
tractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:36 AM   #23
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I'd like to see them come up with axles/bearings/etc that are permanently sealed. Cars and trucks have had them for several decades, can't be that much more expensive for RV makers to put them on RVs.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #24
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

I'd like to see them come up with axles/bearings/etc that are permanently sealed. Cars and trucks have had them for several decades, can't be that much more expensive for RV makers to put them on RVs.
Is that not what the Nev-R-Lube is? http://www.dexteraxle.com/nev_r_lube_bearings
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #25
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I've got Nev-R-Lube on my SOB and love it. Packing bearing annually is a thing of the past. They should be on every RV.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:45 AM   #26
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Quote:

Is that not what the Nev-R-Lube is? http://www.dexteraxle.com/nev_r_lube_bearings
I guess so,...but the RV manufacturers are going to break an arm with all the patting themselves on the back they are doing. My point was that these bearings should be standard on all RVs and no big deal, rather than an extra cost option.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #27
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Quote:

I guess so,...but the RV manufacturers are going to break an arm with all the patting themselves on the back they are doing. My point was that these bearings should be standard on all RVs and no big deal, rather than an extra cost option.
Agreed. Even at the failure rate GM has experienced, they should last forever on an RV. I had both of the front bearing ass'y replaced on the TV recently. Quite pricey. They told me at the dealer they were experiencing failures at fairly low mileage. I gave my son a 1991 Chevy 4WD with over 200,000 miles; original front bearings. Wonder if the new ones might be "made in China"?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #28
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
[quote]Originally posted by sreigle

Several years ago during a brake check and bearing repack our dealer's service manager, whom I trust explicitly, told me I was putting too much grease into those zerks. He said no more than two squirts per year. I said we fulltime and do a lot of miles. He said, two squirts once per year. I've done as he said ever since and have had no bearing problems and no grease on the brake linings. If you put in too much it squeezes past the seal onto the linings, making your brakes useless. Others may disagree with my approach but what Jim told me has proven accurate to me. We have him check brakes and repack the bearing every other year.

I was told the same two squirts no more!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #29
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Gonna advance this forward a little bit. i was looking to add a few bearing parts in my backup supplies. What about part numbers, whether from NAPA or camping world, for bearings or seals?

I've got the 6000 lb axles.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:30 PM   #30
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
When you think about it two squirts of a good grease gun provides about a walnut size amount of grease which is about the amount to use for packing bearings. Why use any more than that?

The "squeeze until you see it" applied to the older cars that had zerks for the suspension linkages. I recall doing this on my car that had 6-10 grease points and you squeezed until you saw it because it was not much that was needed. This should NOT apply to wheel bearings that have only a certain amount of space to contain all the grease. If grease can squeeze out, there's probably a good chance that other bad stuff can get back in - that's why going into deep water is bad.

A major reason for checking wheel bearings sooner than recommended would be because you submerged in water to the hubs or you drive in rainy weather A LOT! Otherwise follow the recommended interval and things should go well.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:03 PM   #31
electryc_monk
Established Member

M.O.C. #9362
Send a message via Yahoo to electryc_monk
as this rages onward. :>) I'll just chime (sp) in with a little thinking.

Original owner passed away over 2 yrs ago. His son transported it (unmolested from the site in NM to his business' lot and let it sit thwere for a while, then moved it to a storage lot for several months... still not touched.) Then he decided to sell it-removed some of his dad's personal effects and some clothes but, left all the rest...including the grey/black water tanks full! LOL

We bought it last summer(about now) pulled it home(here in the DFW area) from Austin then prepped it for our first run up to LAke ray roberts(40 odd mile run one-way...)

put new tires on her 2 weeks ago and gave a look at one of the brakes as the alko rubber nipple had a tip crack off of the *dust cover*?

Figured I'd check the bearings within the next several weeks - when I inspect the brakes too....

given my personal experience with trailer axles and bearing wear - I'm hedging my bet on his aggressive pre-maint. that was done -before his passing.
electryc_monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:19 PM   #32
Texas Firefighter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8153
I take my Montana in once a year, (2 times now) to have the bearings packed and breaks checked. The first time I took it in, the Service Manager told me "2 Squirts", after he cleaned all the grease out of a drum...I learned to listen. The reason I take it to the Dealer to get this done is that I want it on paper that it was done.
Texas Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:25 PM   #33
Texas Firefighter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8153
Sorry....I guess I do not know how to spell..."brakes". Time for bed!
Texas Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote