Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2005, 03:22 AM   #1
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Heater Repair

Yesterday morning I got up, it was 40 in the trailer and turned up the heat and...No heat, checked the fuses and everything and it clicked and nothing. had to go to work, wife called the RV dealer and they said 2 weeks, cant wait also the book said the warranty is 2 yrs and guess what I got it 18 Oct 03, well over two years.they did recommend repairmen, called one he came and checked and the main board was out, he got on and repaired the heat works great. for $250. he said I need the insurance or Ext warranty. So do any of you have this or recommend this ? also he asked my wife about the roof, do we put protector on it she told him that he has been doing this for 16 yrs and in about 7 yrs the roof will start to Rot. any input on this.

Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 04:09 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob & Lee

Yesterday morning I got up, it was 40 in the trailer and turned up the heat and...No heat, checked the fuses and everything and it clicked and nothing. had to go to work, wife called the RV dealer and they said 2 weeks, cant wait also the book said the warranty is 2 yrs and guess what I got it 18 Oct 03, well over two years.they did recommend repairmen, called one he came and checked and the main board was out, he got on and repaired the heat works great. for $250. he said I need the insurance or Ext warranty. So do any of you have this or recommend this ? also he asked my wife about the roof, do we put protector on it she told him that he has been doing this for 16 yrs and in about 7 yrs the roof will start to Rot. any input on this.
Somebody else may have their paperwork right handy, but I believe the rubber roof is warranted for 20 years. Could be wrong but I think that's what I saw the last time I looked.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 04:13 AM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well sounds to me like your repair man was going from one end of the spectrum to the other. If you do a search on extended warranties you will find many different opinions. I bought the extended warrany for my coach and so far have not had to use it. I purchased "The Choice Plan" warranty from my dealership, seemes to be a really good plan. As far as the roof goes, I use Thetford rubber roof cleaner and protector twice a year. Brings it back to a nice and bright white look and protects it from the harsh sun. Sorry to hear about your trouble with the heat, hope all stays well.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:19 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
The roofs that failed in 7 years were not the same roofs we have today. Better quality materials are used now and we are all aware of how to care for them.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:55 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The rubber roof on my 1996 Terry TT was in perfect condition and we did min maint..I think the 7 years thing was a scrare tactic..Did the repairman by any chance also sell the extended warranty???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:27 AM   #6
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Just looked, and the Dicor roof warranty on our '03 3655FL is for 12 years.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 02:23 PM   #7
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Dicor instructions which came with unit said to wash with mild soap and do nothing else. No treatments are necessary.
That is all I have done since 2001 and roof still looks like new.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 03:20 AM   #8
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Yes the roof has a 12 year warranty, but I believe the labor will not be included. Keeping the roof clean with soap and water is the best. Also you do have to check the caulking area for cracking and repair them when necessary.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote