Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
Acrilyic Awnings Cleaning

Does any one have any ideas on how to clean acrylic awning with green tree slime on it. I tried low pressure washing with just water. I also tried dish detergent. Nothing seemed to work.

wa4bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:02 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
John, In the morning when your awning is soaked with dew. Spray both sides of the awning with any cleaner such as Awesome, Greased Lightning (my choice) or even Fantastic. Roll the awning up and let it sit for a couple hours. Roll it back down and with just a little light scrubbing the awning will be like new.
I have used this method for years and it always worked. I even did a couple of year round guests in our park. Their awnings weren't touched for years. Some did require an additional application but most came clean the very first time.
I know you get the heavy dew in Florida but in lieu of the dew just wet it down real good, apply the cleaner and roll it up.
For those of you with moderately dirty awnings put some Dawn in a sray bottle, add just a little water and apply as above.

John, why didn't you ask me about that when we spoke on the phone the other day? How's it going finding that RV park? Have you been down to Clearwater/Largo since we last talked?
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:25 AM   #3
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
If it is Acrylic, it is most likely Sunbrella fabric. The Sunbrella website has some good information on care and cleaning including a what to use on what stain chart. Last year when the wind removed our origianl awning, we replaced it with a new Acrylic one. I e-mailed Dometic and the confirmed that their acrylic awnings are Sunbrella. Their website: http://www.sunbrella.com/
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote