Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2007, 11:50 PM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Demolishing our past....

In spring, summer and fall back in the 70s, and 80s and long before our RVing days we could be found on any given weekend in Alexandria Bay, NY. Alex Bay is considered the heart of the Thousand Island and is a very beautiful area along the St Lawrence River.
It was a 6 hour drive, one way, but we would spend on average 15 long weekends a year in Alex Bay. Whenever we visited the Bay we always stayed at Fisherman's Wharf Motel and typically room 21 which adjoined the office. At the time, Bob and Maryjo Kent owned the Wharf and we became and still are very close friends. Fisherman's Wharf Motel was absolutely our home away from home. My daughter and Son-in-Law also loved Fisherman's wharf so much so that they picked the Wharf for their marriage and honeymoon. Here's one of their wedding day pics..

You can't see it here but they are standing behind a solid brass ship's wheel which stood in front of the Wharf's office.
Well Alex Bay and the Wharf are a bit less inviting for us and it has nothing to do with our new lifestyle or the Monty. Our beloved Fisherman's Wharf has been demolished to make way for condos.

Fisherman's Wharf Motel as we remember it.
The Log Cabin in the upper right hand corner was Bob and Maryjo's house and our accommodations in dead of winter. Yes, we even continued visiting in the winter.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:11 AM   #2
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
It's a sign of the times. I stay 7 days Memorial & Labor Day weeks at Wellesley Island State Park, and make the short drive to A-Bay several times during my stay(s). In the past few years the Tourist trade has fallen well off, lots of stores, and restaurants closing. Even on the main holiday weekends a lot of the places have vacancies. The land that the motel was on is Prime waterfront property with dockage, it's certainly worth more as condos, than a partially filled motel.

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:25 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I remember drinking my first half yard of beer up there. It was fun to watch a lady who was on her (more than one) get her face washed. I think I remember seeing the motel from the water.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:41 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
So sad to see something be destroyed like that. Port Aransas was due to lose Pioneer Park, a beautiful RV Park near the beach on the island. I just read where they have re-negotiated their lease and managed to stay open indefinitely. I am so thankful; have never stayed there, but lots of folks do.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:07 AM   #5
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
That is sad...we were up that way at Association Island RV Park (Henderson Harbor) this year and had done a day trip to Alexandra Bay.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:56 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Sorry, Glenn, but they can't demolish your fond memories.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:14 AM   #7
Sherri48
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7532
Send a message via Yahoo to Sherri48
It is a sad day indeed when part of your family's "history" has been demolished. Sounds like your family had many wonderful times there.
Look back on all the cherished memories you and your famly have, and I'm sure lots of smiles will be found.

Sherri
Sherri48 is offline   Reply With Quote