Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2020, 08:32 PM   #1
Travelling Three
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19003
Travel to Outer Banks

I will be travelling up US hwy 17 north from South Carolina pulling a 40 foot 5th wheel. Is there a ferry somewhere around James City, NC that I can put my 5th wheel and truck on to either Ocracoke, NC or Hatteras, NC? Also there is a free ferry from Ocracoke to Hatteras, will this ferry handle my 40 foot 5th wheel? My final destination is Buxton, NC. I can save lots of time and mileage using a ferry instead of driving to Williamston, NC to US 64 east to Hwy12 then drive south to Buxton. Thanks for you input.

Travelling Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:51 PM   #2
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
I sorry but I do not know any thing of ferry's that run in NC waters because I have only been there once. But if this help's we stayed at Hatteras Sands Camping Resort. Very nice camping, boating, swimming and fishing. People there are very very friendly. The site are good size and we had no problem's getting back into the site's. 50,30,and 20 amp service. I know this this is not what you asked about but saw your post and we thought this might be helpful to you. Have fun its a beautiful area. Great photography in early mornings with the fog, sun, and water.

Also if you like sea food, there's a great restaurant right next to the camping grounds. I forgot the name of it but you can't miss it.

Have lot of fun,

Charlie
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:09 PM   #3
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
go for the gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling Three View Post
I will be travelling up US hwy 17 north from South Carolina pulling a 40 foot 5th wheel. Is there a ferry somewhere around James City, NC that I can put my 5th wheel and truck on to either Ocracoke, NC or Hatteras, NC? Also there is a free ferry from Ocracoke to Hatteras, will this ferry handle my 40 foot 5th wheel? My final destination is Buxton, NC. I can save lots of time and mileage using a ferry instead of driving to Williamston, NC to US 64 east to Hwy12 then drive south to Buxton. Thanks for you input.
We went on both ferries from the Outer Banks down to SC. We where 35`w/ a short bed Ford at the time. It was no problem, they did pull us out of line and let us get on both ferries first, this did not set well with others as many people where in front of us and we got there almost late so we were at the back. We are heading that way again this year if they let us out of the house here in Md. and we are now 42` with the bike rack on the back`w/ a long bed dually like to know what you found out. Yes it saves a ton of miles to go that way and a ferry ride is always fun.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:32 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Click here
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:00 PM   #5
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Thanks for the info. May have to add to our bucket list. Lots of good info here.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:38 AM   #6
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Ferries are from my experience, are expensive in comparison to driving.
There are so many benefits though.
You get to experience your trip in a different way. They have to load the ferries according to weight and balance of the ship. Relaxing and the ride is a great relief from over the road travel.

If a ferry is the only way to get there, You have no option.

Campgrounds on the islands are more expensive as well as food due to Transportation costs.

But money is not everything and nothing can make up for the experience and sights and sounds, Ocean air and sunrises and sunsets. Memories will last forever.
Best wishes and good luck with your search and journey .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
We went on both ferries from the Outer Banks down to SC. We where 35`w/ a short bed Ford at the time. It was no problem, they did pull us out of line and let us get on both ferries first, this did not set well with others as many people where in front of us and we got there almost late so we were at the back. We are heading that way again this year if they let us out of the house here in Md. and we are now 42` with the bike rack on the back`w/ a long bed dually like to know what you found out. Yes it saves a ton of miles to go that way and a ferry ride is always fun.