Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2009, 03:01 AM   #1
bikefever
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9158
Extended Warranty

We are getting ready to purchase our first RV and prior to closing the deal need to decide whether or not to purchase the extended warranty. The dealer sells one and so does Good Sam Club called CSP. Which plan is preferred? For what term, i.e. 5 years, 7 years, etc.?

How we plan to use the RV is to locate it at a site for 4 to 6 months then have it moved to another site by hiring a transport company. Since we will not have a truck to move the RV I would need a plan that offers house calls. Any ideas are appreciated.

David and Karen

bikefever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:14 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do have one and IMO one is needed for any RV. We have one issued by RV shield and since our one year warranty has expired have used it for over 900.00 in repairs which cost me 100.00 (2 50.00 deductibles ) out of pocket. First they are not extended Warranties..they are service contracts..There are many high cost items they cover and many they do not.It is important to understand the terms of the service contract. My suggestion would be NOT to purchased one from the dealer right now. You have the 1 year Bumper to bumper manufacturer's warraty right now. Use that time to do your homework and research. You can get help here if requested. I would be happy to give you the numbers to call to research the plan we have.

One piece of advise...do NOT purchase one because someone on this forum, other forums or a dealer tells you it is " it is the best one on the market" Or the one we have is the only way to go" Collect your data, do your homework, Understand RV service contracts..then decide..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:28 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
bikefever, Google "RV Extended Warranties" and you will get a ton of information. We have an extended warranty and in just about two years of fulltiming, have not had the opportunity to use it yet, BUT, I do feel safer with it, at least financially. I agree with Richfaa, that you should do your homework before purchasing and not let the dealer sell you something you don't really need. With you not moving very often you may be able to get by a little cheaper (?). Not sure though....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:28 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The only thing I can add to what Rich has stated is give weight to where the bulk of your servicing will be done. If you will be relying primarily on a local dealer for service, you may (my opinion) wnat to strongly consider listening to your dealer. My experience with my local dealer is excellent, I purchased the extended warranty (or whatever you prefer to call it) from them since they assured me they had used this plan for over ten years without any problems. I have not had a problem using it and have not had any service denied that was part of the contract. You must read what you are buying. If I was primarily on the road away from the local dealer I may have considered another plan, but I am very happy with what the dealer offered even though it cost a bit more. As always, do what you feel is best for you, but I am offering my opinion to hopefully give you a perspective to consider.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:44 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Do your own homework, then decide what's best for you. Take the information provided here on this forum by many who have experience with "beyond the manufacturer's warranty," weigh it and decide if it is for you. As for me, I wouldn't be without it. The extended warranty we purchased through our dealer in 2000 more than paid for itself. Every big rig and tow truck I have purchased over the past 30 years has always included an "extended warranty" and they have all paid off more than what I paid for premiums.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:56 AM   #6
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
We are not normally consumers that buy into extended warranties, but wouldn't be without one when it comes to the rv. With break down rates fairly high and the outrageous price to replace/repair major components and even work on the slide systems it is good peace of mind. I agree with Bingo, we bought our 5er from a very reputable dealer and I would trust their advice 1st.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:19 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The guys are absolutely right. If your reputable local dealer is selling a service contract they will have a working relationship with them . Many dealers do not like to work with a service contract they do not sell or service and some dealers just will not work with some service contracts at all. IF your work will be done with your local selling dealer the contract they sell may be the best way to go. Many of us travel all over, ourselves included, so we have to consider other things. Some features that are recommended because dealers prefer them is...
Does the service contract pay with a corporate credit card. The company approves the cost with the dealer, gives the dealer a credit card number and that is it... Dealers like that. Is it a "exclusionary" or "inclusionary" contract.. That is does it list all the things the contract does NOT cover ..if it is not mentioned...it is covered..Dealers like those..easiser to work with.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:44 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
As with any service or insurance contract, you need to read what is covered and then be sure to read the exclusions. What the benefits give the exclusions take away.

Next, I would contact more than one RV Service Manager and ask how they work with the provider you are considering. A red flag is, "Well, you pay us and get reimbursed for your provider." That usually means there is trouble getting the provider to pay.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:09 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Regardless who you choose, ask for the "Exclusionary" terms/policy. It may cost a little more, but it's better than them saying, "It was raining and we don't cover that." Also check to see what the lowest/lower deductibles cost. It may only be a few dollars more for less than the $100. Just ask for pricing. Many companies will give you a quote that is good for 30 days, so you can shop around for better pricing. Just ask questions, get answers, and then you have to make a decision

Good hunting.

Oh! Let me know in a PM what you end up with because in August my 1 year runs out.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #10
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
One thing nobody has addressed is your comment that you want this service to be house call based. You will want to specifically ask about that. Normally, there is a labor cap these companies will call and I am not sure you situation will be covered because of the house call fee most service centers/dealers charge. Just check it out.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:12 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
In our research we did NOT find a Service contract that will pay for a home service CALL. They will also not pay State Sales tax's. The contract holder must call the service contract company for PRIOR authorization, The estimate for repair must be done by a CERTIFIED repair facility and the paperwork is between the repair faciity and the service contractt company. I would suggest you call each company you research and tell them what you require..assume nothing..
Old 03-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #12
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
As was mentioned - do your homework! Since these are service contracts with a 3rd party, you better know something about that 3rd party. I typically avoid extended warranties, but have bought them on occasion. I meticulously track repair expenses and have found that I usually break even at best - but that is on a car, not an RV with its outrageously priced items such as fridge, heaters, and a/c. So maybe one would pay for itself on an RV.

Just so you know how important it is to check out the service contract company - I bought one for my Suburban several years ago. Not long after, the rear diff went up. The contract did pay for itself in one trip to the dealer! BUT, the next time I went to get a repair I found out the company had gone under, so my contract was worthless. GMC, not being a part of the contract, could do nothing to help me.

I always wondered how many people had just bought $1500 service contracts the week before the company went under. A few years later I got a letter notifying me of a class action suit against them, so I guess a lot of folks got burned. Sad part was, the company was HQ'd offshore, so there was no hope of recouping any money.

I pick up my new rig next week and am still debating, by the way...
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:56 AM   #13
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
As I'm in the process of getting my new Montana next week, I called the folks that provide the extended warranty on the 5er that I am trading to see how to cancel or transfer. The one I have is for seven years with 2.5 years remaining and is a $50.00 deductible policy. They said to just contact them with the new information and the plan would remain in effect. I want to get a bit more specific on this and will call them next week. The bottom line is I paid $700.00 for this seven year plan and it has already paid for itself and I plan to continue the plan with my new Montana.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:19 AM   #14
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Tim - where did you find a $700, seven year plan?? Please share. That would be an easy call for me. Most everything I have seen is in teh $2K+ range.
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:40 AM   #15
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by akf15e

Tim - where did you find a $700, seven year plan?? Please share. That would be an easy call for me. Most everything I have seen is in teh $2K+ range.
Butch,
Just sent you a PM with the link. Don't know MOCs views for discussing vendors by name so thought that would be best.
Tim
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:22 PM   #16
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
One thing that may help you make a decision. Most Service Contracts do not have to be purchased at the time you purchase your RV. Usually you have till the end of the first year to buy it. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote