Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2007, 03:15 AM   #1
dennisl
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7484
Tire pressure question

It's a sad day - getting ready to winterize the Mountaineer until next spring. My question concerns the air pressure in the tires. Seems like I read somewhere before that it is a good thing to REDUCE the air pressure to 45-50 lbs over the winter to reduce flat spots etc. However, it seems to me that this would make the flat spots even worse when air is removed. Anyway, what do you guys recommend - just leave them alone or reduce the pressure?

dennisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:56 AM   #2
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
Check with Glenn and Lorraine. Glenn is an old tire man if you know what I mean. Got to kid him one way or another. He is very knowledgeable about tires, care, and how to get the best out of them (saftey wise).
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:12 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Thanks Jim I think!

Dennis, Do not raise or lower the air pressure. Whatever you use when traveling down the hiway is what you use when in storage. If you will be setting on dirt or gravel I would suggest use 2 X 10s under the tires. If on concrete or asphalt you don't need anything under the tires.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:44 AM   #4
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Dennis, thanks for asking the question.
Glenn, why use 2 X 10s on gravel. We store ours on crushed rock and I thought that would be OK without the wood. I know that you or Lonnie has answered this before but I can't find it. - Jim
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:42 PM   #5
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
I found something interesting about tire inflation for storage if you have Goodyear tires. Section 12 under Miscellaneous-tire storage recommended load. It states if you do not block the trailer you should fill your tires to 25% over the recommended load for storage. I have not found this on any other site, nor does it address the question of your rims being able to handle the extra pressure. Being anything but an expert on tires I thought I would just add a little more confusing information for everyone to digest. For the record, I store mine at the recommended trailering pressure over gravel on wood.
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:38 PM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The only thing I can imagine is this maybe "old school" info. Years ago when all tires were made of nylon they would Flat Spot from standing. You'll all remember bouncing down the hiway, especially on a COLD morning, until the tires warmed up and once again became round. This Flat Spoting has been eliminated with the polyester cord and the radial plie tires.
In all my years in the tire business I have never heard of any instance where it was recommended to exceed the maximum PSI for any reason. As we all carry the Max of 80 PSI and using the above recommendation we would be exceeding the max psi by 20 pounds. Not something I would do!

Jim, On gravel is fine but I still like my tires on a flat a surface as possible. WHY? To be honest I don't really know if just sitting on gravel will harm the tires or not but wood is cheap so why not.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:14 AM   #7
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Everything Glenn said.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:23 PM   #8
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
you should store your tires as you do your battery ,,,,,,on wood for a long period of time,,, if on gravel , concrete ,black top or what ever , as glenn said wood is cheep , even on plywood is better than nothing john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:27 PM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've been told that if you're going to be parked on concrete for any length of time you should put something under the tires to prevent the chemical reaction between the cement and the rubber. We use old plastic placemats. (I always wondered why there were black marks on the concrete after the rig had set there a while.)

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:44 AM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

I've been told that if you're going to be parked on concrete for any length of time you should put something under the tires to prevent the chemical reaction between the cement and the rubber. We use old plastic placemats. (I always wondered why there were black marks on the concrete after the rig had set there a while.)

Orv
I've heard the same thing about the concrete and tires...don't know if it's true, but I always put some junk wood under the tires while the unit is in storage.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:39 PM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Yes, to protect from marking the concrete but not necessary to protect the tires.

sailer, The "battery on a board" comes from way back when the batteries were made of rubber. The concrete could actually draw the charge out of the battery. With the new battery cases of today that is no longer the case.

BTW-I just included 3 NEW Tire pages to the montanaowners.com. You can find the links here.http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=25445