Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2021, 07:38 AM   #1
Ron & Izzy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29530
Starting Essentials List

Well we were going to buy a 345rl and ended up buying a 3121ck (my wife loved the shower size..)

1. This said i've searched but cannot find a starting essentials list.. (ie. surge protector, water pressure regulator, and such items. (At one of the dealerships i vistited they had a list of items for $1200, but i didn't take a picuture with my phone))

2. is there a way to change your screen name? i'd like to change my name from rons345 to rons3121.

We're excited as hell! i'll be driving for this... we live in Dallas and the unit is in Holman WI, which is just about 975 miles.. Why...? I"m saving 8 thousand and sales guy at camping world here, said he could not go that low.. And i'm retired.. so time isn't a big deal

Thank you in advance..

ron-

Old 11-01-2021, 08:23 AM   #2
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Welcome to another Ron. There are things you need just to camp, things that make camping more enjoyable and then things needed to maintain your RV. Before you drive off the lot, TPMS and a hitch (be aware that in March Lippert no longer covers frame cracks if using the Anderson hitch). As for basics, obviously water, electric and sewer items. You will find hundreds of opinions just on these. We have a hardwired Watchdog EMS, Lippert Wastemaster sewer system (with secondary gate valve), and use a flexilla RV safe hose. Water pressure regulator and right angle hose connector go in our convenience center. Obviously, chairs, mats, grills, smokers, games, griddles are all personal preference as well. You can search for tool lists but torque wrench (torquing lug nuts is important), sockets (1/2” for water heater and lug nuts), socket set wrench, hammer, #2 square drive screw driver (almost all RV screws use this), regular and Phillips screwdriver, wrenches, needle nose pliers, crescent wrench, vise grips, channel lock, good cordless drill with nut drivers, drills and bits. We also carry an electrical kit with multimeter, clamp meter, fuses, wire connectors, soldering iron, wire stripper, crimp pliers and spare fuses. I also have shrink tubing and a heat gun. I would not buy a “kit” as usually they aren’t the quality of the tools I want. In addition, since we do a lot of mods, I also have a cordless circular saw in my basement. I also keep a separate toolbox and cordless drill inside the Montana so if my wife sees something I need to fix first thing in the morning I don’t need to go outside. Pipe tape, duct tape, gorilla glue and electrical tape are also good items to include. In my truck toolbox I have a Dewalt 60v air compressor and a pin nailer for when trim comes loose. Also, a bottle jack, sockets for torquing tires, lug wrench, tarp (in case I need to lay on the ground)! Jumper cables, battery jump box and chains. A lot of this we have added over time as we are in our 17th year in Montana’s. A useful tool I added this year was 3/8” metric and SAE hex sockets. Hope this helps. You will be getting lots of ideas from the helpful folks here on the forum. Choose what works for you.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 11:09 AM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Ron,

Working on your screen name.

Enjoy your trip to pick up your new rig. Take your time driving back. You are going to be a lot taller - if in doubt stop and look.

You have covered some of the basics, my list for your drive home:
-Credit card
-Cell phone
-Sewer hose
-Water pressure regulator
-Water hose
-30 amp to 50 amp dogbone
-TPMS

A lot of the other stuff can wait until you sort out what you really want. Ron Ames has added a lot of good info depending on how handy you are.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 11:23 AM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Congratulations and welcome
Ron Ames has a very good list (I'm going to copy that for future reference )
I'll only add, I try to buy things that can be multi functional so it takes up less space/weight.
I have a Dewalt drill and Dewalt 160 Psi battery powered air compressor. They both use the same battery.
When we bought our rig we also bought a generator. Never used the generator. Now come to find out it was the wrong one. TOO LOUD!!!
Spare parts are good to have too. You never know when or where you might have a brake down.
Brake assembly (left and right), wheel bearings.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote