Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2005, 02:42 PM   #1
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Observations on bringing home the 3295RK

What a day! I had been told that the SuperGlide plate would be welded on and that I could pick up the unit at 2:30. Had trouble getting a service tech to the phone and finally got the service manager at 2:15. He said he could get to it in the late afternoon, whereupon I informed him that I had been promised 2:30. He said what time is it—and must have looked then at the clock—and said, oh, it’s 2:30, so after asking me exactly where we lived, he said come on and they would have it ready. Thus began the adventure.

Let me interject that this is a 2003 model, first part of the year from what Steve told me earlier. Here are some observations:

1. The Monty is huge, mammoth, long…did I say huge?! That is going to take some adjustment. BIG!
2. The F-250 towed like a champ; the trip home was about as easy as I could have ever expected. It towed a camper 5k+ heavier than our 28' Prowler far easier than my F-150 ever pulled the latter. It also held up to the weight of the unit nicely—of course the Monty WAS unloaded.
3. Backing…well, that was NOT so much fun. Quite honestly, our back yard was plenty large to turn around the Prowler but the Montana was a handful to back in this area. I believe this would not have been so difficult if not for some Georgia pines in the yard—I assure you that they are short for the world! The advice I received on the towing section about a 5er reacting slower to a TT seems spot on. Those quick adjustments I could make before are simply not there. This will take some effort. I believe we are going to take the Monty to Calhoun Falls SP in SC next weekend where they give you LARGE openings to campsites and do a little practice. I am also going to pull it to the old Wal-Mart parking lot—now vacant—and try to come to grips with backing it as well as the turning radius.
4. The SuperGlide…I know some people say they never have used their manual slider. Well, let me say that the SuperGlide started earning its keep today. I had to make some sharp turns and it kept the camper off the truck’s cab. All hail the SuperGlide!
5. Again, this is a used unit—though not used that much—so there are some items that need addressing. First, the front, yellow running light on the door side was missing so we bought one at the camper store that my wife thought would work—I was busy learning how to hook up camper—but it sits slightly loose on the light and I have little doubt that it would blow off at speed. Anyone know where I can order a good replacement? Second, in the front closet where the shoe rack indention is located, there is a piece of trim that has come loose. Any suggestions on reattaching it? Third, the outside, rubber molding that goes around the camper has started molding. I tried Armor All and Blechley’s (sp?) Bleach White, neither of which did much. Tried Soft Scrub on a green scrub pad and that worked very nicely on the sample area. Anyone see a problem of using this?
6. Last thing for now…I leveled out the unit once it was on the gravel pad we had for our Prowler and tried the slide rooms. The front went out without a problem then the one on the door side began to extend. What I need to ask you guys is that I noticed this one stopped about three to four inches from the wall, then the other that holds the table and sofa went out and then the door side slide tightened up and then the one with the sofa. Is this how it is supposed to operate?

The 3295RK is a beautiful unit, but it is going to take some adjustment. Just wanted to share and ask a few questions, because I figure if anyone has the answers, it will be someone on this site. I have no doubt that I will have more in the near future. Thanks in advance!

Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 02:53 PM   #2
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Congratulations You have a great unit. We also have a 2004 3295. Our slides do the same thing sometimes. The bedroom always come out first and then the kitchen slide. Sometimes it will go almost all the way out and then the living slide will go all the way out and then the kitchen will finish up. I don't know why.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 03:29 PM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Congratulations, Wordsmith. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. We could feel and share your excitement. Will look forward to hearing more as you enjoy your Montana.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 03:30 PM   #4
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Wordsmith,
Congrats on the new coach. I'm sure you'll master backing up in not time. As to those Georgia pines, they'll make great wood for a campfire.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 04:01 PM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Congratulations, Wordsmith. Our slides work very much like yours...bedroom first, curbside halfway, then kitchen before the curbside finishes up. We've never had any problem with them working in this irregular fashion. As for the mildew, I think it is one of the "blessings" of living in the warm, humid South. We're in Alabama and did our spring cleaning of the exterior today. There is a lot of mold throughout the trim. Another problem area are the slide toppers and awnings. They also have mildew on the part that is exposed when they are rolled up. We live in a moderately wooded area so they don't get much sunlight. I did notice that our neighbor's Sportsmen fifth wheel didn't seem to have any mildew on their awning. Maybe theirs is a different material. I think we'll always be fighting mildew and would be delighted to hear how others have handled this problem. I heard that a Clorox bleach pen works fairly well. Judy
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 04:49 PM   #6
Montana_354
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #354
You're going to love your new 3295RK. Ours is the same model/year as yours and we speak from experience!

Our slides seem to do the same as the others even when bringing them back in. The couch/dinette will stop once or twice and the techs had told us repeatedly that that's nothing to worry about.

On the bright side... Bob has decided to try a few different therapies for his shoulder so we're not going to sell our Monty!!!! At least not just yet. Wanna know what made him change his mind? I was looking at other sites for used rigs (and smaller so it would be less wear & tear on him) and he couldn't believe how little you got for your money and how bland, ugly, cheap, (feel free to insert your own word), etc. they were. I must remember this technique should this problem ever arise again.

And Steve, thanks for all your help in sizes, etc. I'll hang on to it all, just in case, but for today...
I'm a HAPPY GIRL!!!!!!!!

Kalamity & Bob
Montana_354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:11 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Hello JD,

Fantastic!! Sounds as if you are on you way. Backing will come. Two words (slow and patient), are key to backing. Pulling up and starting again is not dumb nor does it mean you are inept. It means you are taking care of your rig.

The lose molding might be repaired with some good old carpenter's glue and wire brads about 3/4" long. This assumes you are addressing an issue of wood molding.

As to the amber lens, there are numbers embossed on the lens. I discovered this when I needed to replace mine (tree limb). The embossed lettering will tell the vendor which of his array of lenses you will need. I had to climb up to the one on the other side to get that number. Some times your local supply does not have the older lens, but you will be able to order it from a place like Camping World.

On the mold and/or mildew problem, I would look at the owner's manual to determine what NOT to use. If you did not get an owner's manual, One can be downloaded for the Keystone website. Since I, too, purchased a previously enjoyed unit, I had to do exactly that. Now I have it accessable in two ways; as a file on my traveling laptop and a printed copy in my master RV binder.

It may be just my over cautious nature, but I keep close tabs on the unit for plumbing leaks. The shake , rattle and roll to which these rigs are exposed, will loosen connections. I found a small leak when I removed the panel on the garden tub. A $15 faucet replacement solved the issue.

Well, the learning curve has begun. Have loads of fun.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:14 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Kalamity,

I am very glad you have found an alternative solution. Here's hoping things go well.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:23 PM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Wordsmith,
Congratulation and enjoy. Sounds like you had a good experience and all is working. Reference the slides. Yes you have three slides being feed off one pump. You can choose each individual slide by turning off the valves to the other two from upfront at the pump. By leaving all three open the work like water or electrical current. the lightest one will move first which is the bedroom. Then the next moves out, it stops when there is resistance. The other slide now move and one it is in place all the hydraulic fluid is applied to the final push. The same thin when bring them in. The bedroom goes first.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 09:37 PM   #10
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Congrats on your new Montana.I know what you mean by looking big when you first hook up.The backing up will get easier with each back up.The wal-mart parking lot is a good idea to pratice up a little.As others have said our slides do the same thing.Our molding was almost black when we got ours.I used a brillo pad to clean it up.With no ill effects.Was told to be cautious with using brillo pads,but it worked great,and I see no damage from using it.That was 9 monthes ago and its still fairly clean looking.You might want to climb the ladder and check all the cauling around the seams and vents.Make sure their is no cracking of the caulk.And maybe invest in a roll of "eternabond tape"Good insurance while on the road for those unexpected happenings.A low branch or what ever else that could damage your roof.Any way good luck with your Montana.I`am sure you will be very happy with it.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 01:12 AM   #11
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
It is so nice to hear the excitement of a new owner. Think you have gotten the answer to your slide question. It's just the way they work. John that was a great explanation on the pump reactions. Yep! Think we all have experienced that first reaction of "Wow this thing is so BIG!". The backing and maneuvering is just a matter of practice. Soon you will be a champ and be conquering new challenges with campsites.
Kalamity, We are so happy for you. Keep us posted on Bob's therapy. Will keep you in our prayers for good results so you can continue your RV lifestyle.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 06:07 AM   #12
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Thank you all for your kind words and advice! This forum is an absolutely wonderful source of information with a positive community atmosphere. Though I have pulled travel trailers since I was 16, the entire 5er experience is so new as are the slide rooms so it is nice to know they are behaving normally with their “pauses”—a definite relief! I feel good about the camper, but I also want to feel good about its condition.

As to the small problems, I did notice the numbers on the amber lens when I arrived home and they did not match with the one my wife found; at least we know what to look for now. I might just pull out the Camping World magazine and check it out. We did receive an owner’s manual with the unit, but I must confess that it reads rather generically, lacking specific details and diagrams, so I am a bit disappointed there, but I will check further about the cleaning of the outside rubber molding. And, yes, isn’t the South and mildew just great? Nothing like being in Georgia in the summer! Still, it looks like whatever way I go on cleaning this, it is going to be labor intensive with plenty of old fashioned “elbow grease.” No miracle black streak cleaner solution.

Yes, Marsha and I are excited, with a little healthy trepidation thrown in for good measure!

Kalamity, that is great news that you might be able to hold onto your unit! I hope everything works well for both of you not only in that area, but your husband’s health as well.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:30 AM   #13
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Congratulations on your Montana..I think the adjustments will take some time but once you get it all down it will be like you have been doing it forever!! Happy Camping!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 10:31 AM   #14
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We are also new owners of a 3295. We bought one of the new left overs from 2004 last year. We traded our 27RL Wildcat in so we went bigger too. We love this unit. Also we have a 2500 Dodge HO Diesel to pull with and it does a great job.
Congrats on your new toy.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 04:56 PM   #15
Montana_354
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #354
We're very glad he's willing to try some different therapies. We both had to admit we were (truly) going into a depression. This is who we are- our identity. lol It was like the world was lifted off our shoulders when he said he wanted to try to continue.

Life is good again. Something else I was going to be depressed about was not being on the list anymore. I mean, we probably wouldn't be booted for being 'kissin cuzins' but it wouldn't be like we were still FAMILY!! So I've been doing more reading here. He really likes (Mike?)the bathroom vent idea!
Kalamity
Montana_354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:15 AM   #16
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wordsmith

[...] the entire 5er experience is so new as are the slide rooms [...]

We did receive an owner�s manual with the unit, but I must confess that it reads rather generically, lacking specific details and diagrams, so I am a bit disappointed there, [...]

Kalamity, that is great news that you might be able to hold onto your unit! I hope everything works well for both of you not only in that area, but your husband�s health as well.
Wordsmith, I'm with you completely re: 5er & slides being new. I've handled lots of trailers, trucks, tractors, etc. since age of 10. This is an adjustment for me as well. I also share you disappointment with the "generic" manual. I made sure that I had a nice long talk with one of the techs at the local Montana dealer the last time we had the Monty there. I made sure they walked me through all the maintenance for the systems I wasn't familiar with. Definitely worth the effort.

Kalamity, I'll also toss in my congrat's on keeping your rig.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 12:04 PM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
When we toured the factory I think they said there was a option where you could operate each slide out individually..does anyone have that. We will be keeping our unit along side the house and would not be able to get all the slides out if need be...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 12:47 PM   #18
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Welcome to the world of the fiver Wordsmith. I feel for you with the experience of reversing. Having had several TTs in my past and having towed a variety of trailers and boats over the years (too many to remember) I can equate to the "culture shock" of reversing a fiver. Once you get the hang of it though it is a breeze.

And don't they tow nicely after a TT? No tail wagging the dog!
BTW on our rig the slides go out and in on their own idea of the correct sequenced - maybe some miracle of hydraulics is at work that I don't understand. With our rig we have separate controls for each slide but it only is to decide which ones to go out - not in which sequence. I also agree 110% with your comments about the superglide hitch- I am so glad it was recommended to us by other owners at the rally last year

Enjoy!

Colin
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 02:08 PM   #19
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
DiananConlin, I was very impressed by how the 5er towed; in fact we were on I-985 for about eight miles after having the SuperGlide plate welded onto the pin box, and I found myelf wishing for a transfer truck to come by to see how it would respond. Of course, when you want one, you cannot find any. That never was the case when pulling the TT up I-85 into South Carolina.

Hopefully, the backing problem will be alleviated to some degree soon. We have a man coming out tomorrow to give us an estimate on removing some of our beautiful Georgia pines.

By the way, Dustytuu, that is one beautiful Maine Coon that you have there! Though I have never had one, I have always thought they were gorgeous cats.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:08 PM   #20
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Wordsmith,

Congratulations on the new Montana. Everybody is right about the way your rooms move out. Don't be surprised if later as you load the rooms differently, they may act differently going in and out. It has to do with physics and the temperature of the oil and how the pump operates.

Another tip. Sometime when you have the rooms all in, look at the oil level in the tank. It should be 1/2 to 1" from the fill/breather cap. If you need to add fluid, go down to you favorite car part store or Walmart or Miejer and get a quart of Dexron 3 or Mercon tranny fluid and fill it to that level. Don't worry about the differences in fluid color in the tank and in the can. It won't hurt a thing.

If you ever need any help or have any questions about your slide systems and how to operate and maintain them, some people in this forum know where to find me.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote