Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2020, 09:26 AM   #1
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
Axle questions

2014 Montana HC 305RL Dexter Axle #133068588 Help Friday afternoon I noticed that the inside edge (1 to 1 1/2") of the tread on passenger side tires and maybe a little on the driver side was wearing with an irregular pattern. Trying to figure out the cause I looked underneath and all the springs, shackles, etc looked OK to me. Puzzling out the cause I talked with a tech at a tire and alignment shop that does a lot of heavy utility and cattle trailer and light truck work . He said the camber was probably off and different axles provided camber either by curved axles or spindle angle. I spent a couple of hours on line trying to get info on this axle but could not find this axle number anywhere. I personally got this number on both axles. Both axles did not appear to have any curve to them. I will try to call Dexter Monday but am still trying to get some headstart on what I will have to do to correct this. I just remember that I had the brakes replaced 9 months ago and that they did not use Dexter components due to difficulty finding them, but I don't know if this could be contributing to the problem. :Please give me any thoughts

tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:03 AM   #2
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Sounds like your axle went out of alignment. It happens. A truck alignment shop will be able to bend it back into place.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:24 AM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
The specs on your trailer show GVW of 12,500 lbs and 2175 lbs at the hitch. So that gives you 10,325 at the axles. You may only have 5,200 lb axles on that rig. The brochure for that years says it came with 16” E rated tires, so you may be lucky and have 6,000 lb axles. In either case, you may have to get it into a shop that can align those axles which may entail bending them to correct the camber or toe.
rohrmann is online now   Reply With Quote