Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2019, 05:56 AM   #1
cscowgirl
Established Member

M.O.C. #21776
Wingard Antenna - repair questions

A few months ago I posted to introduce ourselves. But this is the first time to ask questions.

So, as we were ready to leave our campsite at the lake this past weekend, I noticed that our Winegard Antenna was sticking out of the side and not down completely. In attempting to get it turned the correct direction and crank it down the crank handle and spring fell off in my husband's hand as well as the "directional" piece that allows you change the direction of the antenna. We were able to finally get it antenna put down by me using an impact drill on the inside and he was up on roof to manually turn the antenna. We are headed out next week for our first longer trip in our Monty. We have a new to us 2002 Big Sky Montana.

A couple of questions. Do we need to know what model antenna we have or are the parts universal. And if we need to know the model, where do we find that? I know we will need a new crank handle as the old one appears to be stripped. Although my husband did mention a set screw up there.

He's working out of town for the next couple of days and I am trying to make sure I can get any parts we need to fix the problem when he gets back later this week and before we head out on our trip to Mt Rushmore next week. And, I am not totally sure what parts we may need, other than the actual crank handle. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Colorado Springs, CO
cscowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:29 AM   #2
cotter key
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10849
You should have all the parts, just need it put back together. There is a set screw in the end of the crank handle that comes loose and lets things fall out. Just get the antenna in the right position on the roof and start putting everything back in place and tighten the set screw
cotter key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:51 AM   #3
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
While you have it apart take the opportunity to do the maintenance on it that probably hasn’t been done in some time. Lubricate the internal parts and the little seal that has probably hardened and is brittle. There are lots of YouTube videos on the subject for visual reference.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:33 AM   #4
cscowgirl
Established Member

M.O.C. #21776
Thank you - hubby thinks the handle is stripped, but maybe not because of the set screw? And definitely need to lubricate.
Colorado Springs, CO
cscowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:03 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If this happened to me, I'd just replace it with one of the new antennas that you don't have to raise and lower. Surprisingly they work better than the raise and lower ones.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:30 AM   #6
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
I agree with DQDICK if already fell apart now is the best time to replace with a better one!
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:32 AM   #7
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotter key View Post
You should have all the parts, just need it put back together. There is a set screw in the end of the crank handle that comes loose and lets things fall out. Just get the antenna in the right position on the roof and start putting everything back in place and tighten the set screw
That's exactly what I did on our 2004 2955, It came apart in my hand. I put it back as you said and everything works like before.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:22 PM   #8
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
The winegard sensor has a 55 mile range, but you have to turn and do scans to get the channels you want. Hard...no, but does take some time. The winegard rayzar automatic is listed as 60+ miles and no turning is needed, but I have not installed one or compared it against the sensor4. On my montana, I don't have the clearance needed to put it in the same spot as the sensor. Curious to hear results from those that have switched to the rayzar automatic.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:09 PM   #9
kencare
Established Member

M.O.C. #9836
If you check the handle where the shaft fits, it is probably cracked, if so will probably come off again. Got tired of replacing the handle and listening to the antenna thump and rattle in the wind during the night. Replaced with a Winegard Rayzar z1, no more cranking up and down, fit perfectly where the old bat wing was.
kencare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:42 PM   #10
fulltilt
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16056
Hi
I'm in the process of replacing my roof, I contacted Winegard some months ago regarding replacing our crank up "Sensar Antenna" with something better, as this seemed like the time to do it ! Their email reply was the crank up model was the best performer in their model lineup...so I have bought the same one again. May I suggest emailing them yourself, they have great customer service.
fulltilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:50 AM   #11
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
In my 57 years of being a amateur radio operator (Ham), a directional antenna is usually better than a omni directional antenna. The bat wing is not a true directional antenna but is more so than a antenna that receives 180 degrees. The bat wing is a dipole antenna and receives from two directions. Broad side to the element. If the omni directional antenna out performs the dipole it must be through amplification and not signal gather.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:27 AM   #12
fulltilt
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16056
Hi Psomers
Thought you may find this link interesting...it should take you to the Cape Race Lighthouse that received the Titanic Distress signals...full of radio equipment, interesting place, my wife & I travelled there a few years ago with our Monty.

edgeofavalon.ca/cape-race/myrick-wireless-interpretation-centre/
fulltilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:10 PM   #13
lkennerly
Established Member

M.O.C. #19862
Same thing happened to us. We use channel locks until we fixed it. On ours the shank didn’t have a flat spot for the set screw. We covered the bed then used a grinder to score a flat spot for the set screw. Someone in a post said keystone replaced theirs even though it was out of warranty.
lkennerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:07 AM   #14
Caniel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21610
Fascinating, will have to put that on my to visit list.

Caniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #15
Dtingle
Established Member

M.O.C. #20561
Here is a good link for how the Winegard Sensar Batwing antenna is serviced. There are also links below on where to different antennas. Hope this helps!!

https://youtu.be/Cmh0b4mzIvI
Dtingle is offline   Reply With Quote