Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2018, 02:02 PM   #1
Castner's
Established Member

M.O.C. #19693
Montana 3791RD Continuous Problems

We purchased our 3791RD from North Carolina Camping World. As soon as we got back to Pa. we had problems. The ceiling trim was all separated, the toilet seat would not stay on straight, the theater wall was not secured to the main wall, and the table was not level (could not eat on it when extension was pulled out) swivel roller in the bathroom door has been replaced three times already. Now the wall paper is wrinkling around all the window frames inside. The nap in the carpet stays flat now. We have had our levelers worked on four times now and we still get the popping sound at night when the temperature changes. Now, I just noticed that the electrical circuit box under the pin box is a Indoor Box and not an outside box. Does anyone else have a circuit box on their pin box that is not a Approved Outside. Can't wait until Sept. 2018 for the show in Hershey to talk with a Montana Rep. The amount of money that is spent by us folks on RV's, there should never be this many problems within the first 3-5 yrs. Ours is suppose to be for Full Timing. Good thing we are snowbirds instead.

Castner's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:12 PM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Which NC camping world?
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:03 PM   #3
Troutn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21573
Wow, I have a 3791 and some minor issues but nothing out of the ordinary. Sorry to hear about your problems.

Rick and Jeanne
2013 F350 6.7 CC LB SRW
2018.5 Montana 3791RD
Troutn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:06 PM   #4
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Our's has been at the dealer for 10 weeks now. So I feel your pain.
Toilet-- I would just replace it with a Dometic 320 or 310 and be done with it.
Leveler popping-- Have you added the anti-stiction fluid?

Electrical box- it is just 12VDC and just hides the connections. It is fine to be non-waterproof box. Ours is just like yours.

hope you get things resolved
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:48 AM   #5
Castner's
Established Member

M.O.C. #19693
3791rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1retired06 View Post
Which NC camping world?
We purchased our unit at Raleigh, Camping World in N.C.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:03 AM   #6
Castner's
Established Member

M.O.C. #19693
Thumbs up 3791rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Our's has been at the dealer for 10 weeks now. So I feel your pain.
Toilet-- I would just replace it with a Dometic 320 or 310 and be done with it.
Leveler popping-- Have you added the anti-stiction fluid?

Electrical box- it is just 12VDC and just hides the connections. It is fine to be non-waterproof box. Ours is just like yours.

hope you get things resolved
Ours is scheduled to go to Camping World in Harrisburg, Pa. on 9/6/18 for repairs which the company has agreed to take care as I notified them in March 2018, just one month prior to factory warranty running out. They are taking care of the wrinkled wall paper around the inside window frames, the carpet, the bracket behind the refrigerator (residential) that has pulled from the wall. Only thing wrong with the toilet was the seat and cover. Our theater seating wall was never attached correctly to the main wall, as there was about a quarter inch gap between the two. had to have L-Brackets installed to support the wall. Also saw that the nails used in the compartment under the living room area where nailed to the aluminum frame and from traveling, they have all pulled out. I then put self taping screws in there place to see what happens. Keystone needs to do something about their quality control as it sucks! These people have a certain amount of work to do when they assemble and if they get it done ahead of time, they can leave and still get paid for eight hours. This is the reason that the workmanship sucks. You pay top dollar for a RV and all you get is junk. There has to be something done about this within the RV Industry! Good luck with yours!
Old 07-24-2018, 08:33 AM   #7
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
All pretty minor issues, pretty standard regardless of which brand or how much you pay for them. Really a crooked toilet seat ??? fix the loose bolts, trim falling off, standard on all, they tack it on and glue it, when it gets hot out and you are going down the road the glue is heated and lets go. Fix it with silicone and a few small trim nails. The electrical box outside is standard on most, what is the concern ?

The popping noise is an easy fix as well, look on line and it tells you what to add to stop the issue, thing is this has been a known problem and the dealer should have just replaced the fluid at PDI as ours did (without asking) so there is no issue.

The Den wall seems to be a common issue with these things, I had the same issue and after some inspection of the construction discovered why, they use some screws (not strong enough) some chipboard for supports instead of solid oak, ash or maple hardwood for the corners, floor etc and low and behold the den chairs lean on the wall when tilted back and when going down the road the wall flex's with the bumps and presto the screws snap and the wall gets loose. I made new corner & floor supports, took out the crap screws and replaced with bigger # 6 stainless, drilled pilot holes and installed 4 times as many of them and now you could likely hit the wall with a 20lb sledge and not dislodge it. It's been good ever since, they do need to address this issue at the factory, such and easy fix. Took me a couple hours and a trip to Home Depot...

I continue to be amazed at the amount of concern over minor issues that are so easy to address yourself. After 35 plus years of RVing if I took the RV back to the dealer everytime a minor issue came up I'd likely be waiting for it much more than using it...

These things go down the road at 60-70mph, try that with your house and see how it holds up...

No matter the brand the same stuff happens, it comes with the ownership of an RV, if you didn't expect such then your really didn't research much prior to buying.

Sorry for your troubles
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:44 AM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Some people fix stuff themselves. We are the ones that don’t have any trouble with their campers. We do it right and we are done and it’s quicker than taking it back to the dealer.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:56 AM   #9
Bob & Debbie
Established Member

M.O.C. #21134
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster100 View Post
All pretty minor issues, pretty standard regardless of which brand or how much you pay for them. Really a crooked toilet seat ??? fix the loose bolts, trim falling off, standard on all, they tack it on and glue it, when it gets hot out and you are going down the road the glue is heated and lets go. Fix it with silicone and a few small trim nails. The electrical box outside is standard on most, what is the concern ?

The popping noise is an easy fix as well, look on line and it tells you what to add to stop the issue, thing is this has been a known problem and the dealer should have just replaced the fluid at PDI as ours did (without asking) so there is no issue.

The Den wall seems to be a common issue with these things, I had the same issue and after some inspection of the construction discovered why, they use some screws (not strong enough) some chipboard for supports instead of solid oak, ash or maple hardwood for the corners, floor etc and low and behold the den chairs lean on the wall when tilted back and when going down the road the wall flex's with the bumps and presto the screws snap and the wall gets loose. I made new corner & floor supports, took out the crap screws and replaced with bigger # 6 stainless, drilled pilot holes and installed 4 times as many of them and now you could likely hit the wall with a 20lb sledge and not dislodge it. It's been good ever since, they do need to address this issue at the factory, such and easy fix. Took me a couple hours and a trip to Home Depot...

I continue to be amazed at the amount of concern over minor issues that are so easy to address yourself. After 35 plus years of RVing if I took the RV back to the dealer everytime a minor issue came up I'd likely be waiting for it much more than using it...

These things go down the road at 60-70mph, try that with your house and see how it holds up...

No matter the brand the same stuff happens, it comes with the ownership of an RV, if you didn't expect such then your really didn't research much prior to buying.

Sorry for your troubles
Speedster100 - I think that's the problem with the manufacturer's lack of QC - we just accept that these things will happen and fix them ourselves. They know these are going to go down the road so why not build them with all the fixes you just mentioned? Unless and until the owners demand more quality it won't ever happen.
Bob & Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:26 AM   #10
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Unless you have a dometic 310 or 320 in your newish rig, you have more toilet issues than you know of. The aqua magic tetford likes to have its foot pedal fall off, water not remain in bowl, water remain in bowl and valve decide to let water in which will flood the trailer if you are not watching or left the unit and left water supply on. I would advise you to replace it. You didn't mention tires, so you must have gotten the good Chinese tire, sailun, on your trailer. If you still have load range e "starter" tires, best to step up to load range g with sailun or Goodyear g614's.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:31 AM   #11
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Ill trade all of the above problems for our water problems. Water is the death of an rv, I will never take delivery again without a thorough water test. we bought ours just like everyone else knowing there will be some issues, same as a new house, I have built alot of them. I think most minor issues are easier to fix our self than drag it to the dealer & wait, but not everyone is handy. The only time I wont fix it myself is when there is a chance of voiding the warranty. Good luck to all that have issues.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:44 AM   #12
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
1. toliet. replace it now with dometric 310 or 320 like stated above.
2. outside box for connectors is just a typical metal box, standard, not a problem.
3. the lippert leveling system call lippert and talk to a real person about your issue, it is something that can be corrected. Phone: 574-537-8900
4. for the rest you need to work with your dealer
5. if at all possible get into the fall goshe rally and deal with the techs at the rally.
good luck
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:24 AM   #13
Castner's
Established Member

M.O.C. #19693
You may like throwing money down the drain for something, but I am one who believe if you pay for it and it had a warranty, it should be made right! Plus, if they were inspected correctly the first tme, there would not be this much trouble,!
Old 08-28-2019, 09:31 AM   #14
Castner's
Established Member

M.O.C. #19693
Raliegh, N.C.