Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2014, 02:42 AM   #21
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rohrmann

As others, I am having a hard time understanding why there would be power in the cord from the trailer, once it is disconnected from the tow vehicle. The tow vehicle supplies power to the trailer when connected, not the reverse. The tow vehicle supplies power to the brakes of the tow vehicle when the brakes are applied during normal operation. If the trailer separates from the tow vehicle while towing, obviously the cord will break loose and the breakaway switch will operate and if the trailer's battery is functioning, the brakes of the trailer will be set independent of the tow vehicle. Where is the power in the cord coming from when not connected to the tow vehicle?
Exactly what I thought. I started reading the thread and when someone said there was power to the tow cord after being unhooked from the TV I just figured everyone had been snowed in too long and drinking way too much longer! So I put down my steaming cup of coffee and went out into the morning elements to check (75 degrees and sunny). There is power to the cable! Crap! Just when I thought I was beginning to figure this fiver thing out. Now I have to figure out a cover for the end of the cable that won't hold water.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:33 AM   #22
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Scott,
I believe I posted a cure for the problem on page 1 so you need not re-invent the wheel.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:43 AM   #23
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

Scott,
I believe I posted a cure for the problem on page 1 so you need not re-invent the wheel.
Mike
What are you talking about? What was said for you to write that?
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:03 AM   #24
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
As someone suggested already, I think I will just cut out a tennis ball and put over it. I may drill some additional holes just to make sure there is no water collecting inside. I just hate to order something on-line if I can live without it.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:03 AM   #25
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Scott, You stated "Now I have to figure out a cover for the end of the cable that won't hold water."
I was mearly pointing you to a solution on the market.
Mike
Old 03-04-2014, 05:31 AM   #26
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Quote:

Scott, You stated "Now I have to figure out a cover for the end of the cable that won't hold water."
I was mearly pointing you to a solution on the market.
Mike

That was j and c that made that comment.

Scott
Old 03-04-2014, 05:55 AM   #27
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
WOW, I need better drugs, sorry for the mix up
Mike
Old 03-04-2014, 07:46 AM   #28
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Quote:

WOW, I need better drugs, sorry for the mix up
Mike
Not a problem...

I thought I needed the better drugs for a minute there! LOL

Scott
Old 03-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #29
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
I have found that the best way to do it is learn from OTHERS mistakes.
Thanks to all for posting mishaps so others don't make the same mistake. I think I will do the tennis ball thing.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #30
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
I'm going to do the blocking diode when the rig arrives. That way I won't lose the tennis ball!

Il post photos and directions when complete, but it will be a few weeks. Thanks for posting this issue. I had no idea this was even a potential problem.
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #31
bbrehler

M.O.C. #14093
DON'T GET DISTRACTED! We just bought a 2014 Montana 3725RL but this lesson is about our first 5ver, a 2001 Fleetwood Terry. I had just backed into our site at Camp Pendleton on the front row with 200 yards of gorgeous sand and the Pacific Ocean for our view. As I lowered the front jacks and started raising the coach, a "friendly" neighbor asked if I needed help lining up straight in my space. I turned and looked from his perspective and saw he was right. My Terry was somewhat crooked. Being a veteran RVer, I said thanks, but I can take care of it. I raised the front landing gear and jumped into the truck to pull forward and get lined up straight. As I pulled forward, I heard this awful crash and felt the Earth move. Hitting the breaks and turning my head, I realized that I had forgotten to reclose the jaws on the hitch before pulling forward. $1400.00 later, the side walls on my truck were once again straight. Fortunately the only damage to the Terry was a broken light fixture. Since then, I always try to remember to take my time and keep my head in the game.
bbrehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:17 AM   #32
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
The hot RV plug is the method other MOCers have used to hook up fancy, playful lights on the cord--I don't but others probably have recommendations on this trick!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:18 AM   #33
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
In one or more of my previous posts while attempting to determine what power was connected when the battery disconnect is in the disconnect mode I determined this wire is connected to the "hot" side of the first of the two circuit breakers, therefore it is hot at all times and is not protected by a fuse unless yours is different than mine and has an inline fuse.

This is a great spot to test your RV lights and even the brake wires by jumping from the live to the individual posts on the plug. If you put a diode in there you would not be able to do that.
This wire is separate from the emergency break away wire which also has power to it at all times.

I have always tucked mine up in the pin box, it is dry in there and there is precious little that sticks out that might ground that particular pin. If one was concerned you could easily put a split tennis ball over the end as has been suggested.

In my opinion it is not something I am going to worry about but everyone will have their own opinion about that.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:40 AM   #34
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
Great input on using it for a test point. I hadn't considered that. I've never had a problem, but also didn't know it was hot 24/7. Maybe a tethered cap, or maybe just being more careful knowing it's hot. Thanks for the info Iripguy!
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:01 PM   #35
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
To stow the unilical cord out of the way and harms way I bought the male receptacle
with the latching cover that is usually secured in the truck bed plus a bracket to which it mounts.
Screwed the bracket to the pin box and before disconnecting the truck I put the cord into the receptacle.
Now it is out of the way, the hot pin cannot be shorted. I just have to be sure that the cord loop doesn't get hung up on some piece of junque in the truck bed.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote