Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2013, 03:12 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Your Ultimate Hitch System?

DW has given preliminary approval to upgrading the fifth wheel hitch in the truck. We really like the Mor/Ryde pin box that comes on the newer rigs and it will stay in place. My research is leading towards supplementing it with an air-cushioned hitch on the truck. I believe from past research that this would be the ultimate road buffering hitch system when combined with our current Fireston air bags. My pondering, as usual, is limited, so I need to entertain ideas from the vast experience base that I always rely on, the MOC! What are the hitch options that are out there that will fit the existing Reese rails? I do not want to change the existing rail and hole locations in the truck bed. Most pricing I have seen is in the $2000-$2500 range. Are there any cheaper options out there? I remember a couple of years ago, stumbling across a head unit that actually replaced just the Reese head, but have been unable to track it down on the web lately. Here is your chance to help yet another MOCer spend their money!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:26 AM   #2
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Bingo, several years ago I saw a bed mounted hitch supported by four air bags; one at each corner. I do not know the brand or if it's still even available but the guy told me the bags were adjustable and he loved it. It allowed several inches of vertical movement. But I have to wonder if the hitch would drop so much that the bed rails might contact the underside of the trailer. Something that muct be considered.

Good luck in your search.

KT
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:47 AM   #3
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Bingo,
IMHO, don't waste your money. My research and other forums have many discussions (RV Network) regarding an air ride hitch with an air ride mor/ryde pin box. Most agree that you need one or the other, but not both, especially with air bags. Some with both have experienced the hitch and pin box working against each other, but I cannot vouch for that because I have never had both. I have a Mor/ryde, my truck has air bags (big ones), and my hitch is not an air ride hitch. No problems and I have a camera that I can use the watch it as I go down the road. On my previous Dodge truck, I had the same setup with no problems at all. Do your research and spend your money on something else or SEND it to me.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:59 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Joe,
You are confusing me. My understanding of the Mor/Ryde pin box is that is is to primarily mitigate (cushion) horizontal or back and forth motion during starting and stopping. Our Mor/Ryde is not an air box but rather has the rubber cushions. The air hitches are intended to primarily mitigate (again cushion) vertical or up and down motion, for instance hitting road seams and bumps. I will concede that the air bags will work somewhat to this effect, but their primary focus area is on the truck suspension. I was under the impression that the air hitch would primarily soften the interaction between the rig and the truck itself. I can understand that these redundant air systems can indeed compound upon each other or work against each other, but my primary focus is the ride in the cab of the truck. My thoughts are if I soften potential vertical impacts at the hitch, they will never transfer to the cab. The air bags will soften road impacts transmitted from the axles to the cab area. With the air bags (regardless of soft pressure or hard), when the truck hits road seams, etc. we can definitely feel the impacts in the cab from the rig reaction. I guess it makes me wonder if I should eliminate the air bags and solely rely on an air hitch, but I see the benefits as providing cushioning above the bed and below the bed? The air bags are nice, but they are not fully accomplishing what I am hoping to accomplish. I am open to any and all thoughts and explanations.
Bingo
Old 09-18-2013, 05:58 AM   #5
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
After having a standard hitch in our previous truck, we decided we wanted a hitch that gave a better ride. We went with the Hensley BD3 and love it. It made a big difference, smooth ride and eliminated the chucking. We do have the Mor/Ryde pin box as well that came on our Montana. The combination for us gives a very smooth ride.
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:01 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CATCRAW

The combination for us gives a very smooth ride.
Which is exactly what we are looking for!! I assume the BD3 is in the $2500 range?

Bingo
Old 09-18-2013, 06:31 AM   #7
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
The Mor/ryde pin box does not have air; however, those cushions also provide support side to side and up and down in addition to stopping chucking. Then, as you say, you have the truck air bags to mitigate road imperfections. Plus, the non air ride hitches also have side to side and front to rear springs or support. All together, you will have a smooth ride. I had to experiment with the amount of air in my truck air bags. Ended up with 25psi on both sides. Redundant air systems could cause too much RV movement and I have read posts to that effect. Many folks on the RV Network (Heavy Duty Truck - HDT) forum opine that the above setup is excellent; however, if one of the three above is not present, replace the non air ride hitch with an air ride hitch. As stated in my previous post, I have had no problems with the above setup; however, now I am in real heaven with my current setup with air ride seats and an air ride cab. Perhaps you can ask the following of the Montana owners: "Yes or No, do you get a smooth ride using a Mor/ryde pin box, a standard/non-air hitch, and truck air bags?" My answer would be yes. What do others say?
Old 09-18-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I have air bags, a Mor/Ryde pin box and air bags that are usually set at about 25-40 psi loaded and I can definitely state that I have not arrived at a smooth ride yet. I do not agree that the Mor/Ryde provides cushioning in an up and down fashion, if it does it is so small that it has no effect on a solid hitch. Here is an excerpt from Mor-Ryde's site:
The MOR/ryde pin box system utilizes a unique rubber shear spring to positively deal with this rough, towing road shock. The rubber spring works in a horizontal planar motion (in a longitudinal and lateral motion) to absorb the towing shock. This allows the MOR/ryde pin box system to effectively diminish the transfer of forces from the trailer to the truck.
We can plainly feel the impact of the rig on the Reese hitch. Since this impact occurs above the bed and above the air bags, there is no cushioning effect provided at all. This is what we are trying to eliminate, the impact (hit) of the rig on the Reese plate. We do have the teflon plate as well and the pin does not have any play in it, other than the vertical height of the pin itself and this is where I think the impact is coming from. This may only be related to a Reese hitch, but I cannot say that for sure.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #9
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Thanks for the Mor/ryde info, but "longitudinal and lateral motion" is the same as side to side and up and down. Oh well, that can be another discussion.

I got a smooth ride; however, if you cannot get a smooth ride with your current setup, then there is only two things that you can do:

1. Get a truck like mine. Ha. Ha. Gotcha.

2. Get an air ride hitch. I have a non-air Holland/Binkley TrailerSaver, but not the BD3. Here is mine, which is a little overkill with a 32K limit and an 8K pin weight, but it came with the truck: http://www.trailersaver.com/rigidhitches_32k.php Almost all the Heavy Duty Trucks with an air ride hitch have a BD3. They are outstanding. 18K trailer weight and 3.5K hitch pin weight would be perfect. http://www.trailersaver.com/bd3-air-...heel-hitch.php

Good luck and thanks for listening.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Definitely cannot swing the truck deal, happy with the non-pollution control bow tie with 44,000 miles!! Will have to deal with the older truck that rides like a truck, but will experiment somehow to make it smoother on our backs! I guess I can take the cheap route and get one of those air filled donuts to sit on?? Regardless of definitions and all that other mumbo-jumbo, I feel confident that something can be done to make this hay wagon ride smoother!! As always, all input is appreciated, everything will be considered until the decision gets made in the Spring.
Bingo
Old 09-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #11
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
10-4. Appreciated on this end, too. Actually, I traded my 2004 Dodge 1-ton dually with 60K miles for my Volvo. He wanted to trade down and I wanted to trade up. He was asking $23K for his truck. This is an average price for a truck of this year and the way it has been modified. So it cost me zero $. I love zero $.
Founded it here: http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?s...7&showforum=24
and here: http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?s...7&showforum=25
You just never know what you can find. For example: LOOK at this one (just needs a BD3) and you can easily sell your truck for $25K: http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=106902

Good luck.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #12
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
I originally had a standard Reese hitch with the MOR/Ryde pin box and the MOR/Ryde made a noticiable difference from a standard pin box. We still felt that a lot of road impacts were being transferred to us and the rig and went with the Hensley BD3 Trailersaver.

The BD3 is built like a tank and the took out all but the most extreme road impacts and vibration or jolting is gone. The BD3 comes with a 60-day money back guarantee which make it a fairly risk free purchase. In January 2011 we paid ~$2100 for the complete unit and it fit into the existing rails.

It is one of the few enhancements I made that my bride says was worth every penny.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Thanks Kyle, now if I can just decide between the BD3 and the Air-Safe AirBox. I really like the Air-Safe with four bags which provides eight different directions of air cushioning. There is a substantial price difference as well, at least I have until Spring to decide!
Bingo
Old 09-19-2013, 01:46 AM   #14
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Bingo, instead of going to that much expense to change the hitch in the bed of your truck, have you investigated the feasibility of the Trail Air Tri-glide pin box? Could be considerably cheaper and accomplish the same goal. And, it is a bolt on that would most likely move to your next unit no matter what it is.

Just sayin'.........
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:58 AM   #15
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I am considering that also, Dale, and appreciate your input. The other reason I am looking at hitch replacement is the current Reese is a 16K model and since the new rig maxes out at 16K, upgrading the hitch to 18-20K will give me a little more margin of safety.
Bingo
Old 09-19-2013, 02:45 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I have a 2-bag Husky, they don't make this model anymore. It is great going down the road, we can watch the front cap gliding up and down when we hit rough spots, I think if I got one now I would look at all the air-bag hitches, but I like the one pictured. Haven't investigated the rest of them. I think this one fits your rails.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:57 AM   #17
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
My overload springs were slapping my truck body on bumps so I took them off and use the air bags to control the suspension. I get a very smooth ride with this method, as long as you don't put to much air pressure in. I can control from the cab.

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:44 AM   #18
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
Our BD3 TrailerSaver has shocks and 2 air bags. It fits with standard rails and we paid about $2100 and it has been well worth the extra money.
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #19
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bingo, Trailer Saver BD3 from Hensley. I guarantee you won't regret it. This is the hitch company that supplies many OTR drivers. I had the under dash mounted air control and gauge. EZ PZ
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:43 AM   #20
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Very valid point, Bingo! On my next truck trade, I am considering a heavier hitch also. It seems that these units are getting a little heavier and the new trucks have higher weight capacities. I totally get what you are going for.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote