Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Talking about the washer drier drain system!

Hello

Well today I got real energetic and went looking at my washer drier hookup.

I find that they used a standard “P” trap in the wall under the water connections. The waste line comes out on the front side of the water connections and has a screw in plug in the pipe.

Then because of some of the post about the suction breaker for the black tank wash system leaking in the wall between the bedroom and the toilet room I traced my black tank wash lines to where I thought they went up in the wall. I then went under the sink with the idea I would cut a hole and see if it was accessible.

Here is what I found.

Well so much for there being a suction breaker to leak.

Phil P

If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Phil,
I have the same year and model as you. I installed shut offs on the water lines to the washer in the basement. I couldn't reach the factory installed shut offs because the washer is in the way.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I am curious. Did you buy the trailer new and it never had an antisiphon valve? Or used and maybe a previous owner removed it?
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:16 AM   #4
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
I purchased this trailer NEW.

I had not had the leak problem with the black tank wash line so yesterday I decided to look for the suction breaker so I could change it if needed. There is not a suction breaker in the black tank wash line.

When I tried the trailer the first timer nothing worked. Not even the TV. The potable water lines were not connected at the water center panel, the black tank vent line was not installed the pieces were lying on the floor behind the basement wall, the shower hadn’t been caulked at the bottom of the enclosure ETC.

It took 4 tries at using the trailer to get it even close to where it was usable. Then on the first trip of about 3,000 miles we had many more problems to include the driver side front leg falling down on the road at 60MPH.

If I post the full list of items that didn’t work or were not installed properly it takes up about 4 full sizes note book pages single spaced.

The selling dealer didn’t have any qualified or certified technicians. I had to teach their so called electrical technician how to use a VOM.

To cover their inability up the selling dealer didn’t file the work orders with Keystone. The dealer told me there weren’t any work orders because the work was under warranty. Keystone used this to decline over $20,000.00 in repairs.

That is why when someone here on the forum starts talking about having warranty problems I tell them to get copies of all items worked by the dealer when they purchase the trailer, do not accept or consider the matter taken care of when talking to customer service on the phone. The customer service agent types the record of the phone call in to their terminal and believe me their transcript and mine DO NOT MATCH. If you get a phone call back from them after sending an e-mail or letter requests their response in writing. Don’t accept the statement from the dealer that there isn’t a work order because the work was under warranty. This is a setup that cost you latter when Keystone says the dealer didn’t report the problem you are having.

You must approach all warranty issues with Keystone very carefully. You must document everything in writing.

Phil P
Old 08-26-2013, 04:09 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sorry about your problems. They are inexcusable. This type of situation is the reason you'll see on my posts that I always contact Keystone first and if necessary let them refer me to a dealer. If Keystone is involved from the start it's hard for the dealer to lie about it or screw it up. If your water lines weren't hooked up right it could also have been the dealer that didn't install a backflow preventer, most of our rigs have them and most malfunction over time.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:34 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Wow! That is incredible that many issues got thru production and out to a customer. Don't remember anyone ever posting anything near that. Obvious failure on someone's part, but apparently an isolated case.
I had one minor wiring problem on my new '07 model, quickly corrected by the dealer. Nothing after that except for the sound system fail and the microwave fail, both after about 4 yrs, and the antisiphon valve fail this year.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:40 AM   #7
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Humans are prone to mistakes. I even made one, once
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #8
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by K0LCB

Humans are prone to mistakes. I even made one, once
Hi

These weren’t “mistakes” the black tank vent pipe had been cut to the proper length and then never installed. The pipe was lying on the floor behind the basement wall. The dealer would not be the one to install the black tank vent line.

As for the water fittings the dealer obviously didn’t have the basement wall out of the trailer or they would have corrected the vent item before I got the trailer.

Then I think the dealer started covering things up because they obviously did not do an inspection of the trailer when it was delivered to them. They definitely never did a PDI inspection and this being my first new trailer I only look at the items that were visible. The one thing Keystone does is an excellent job of making the unit "pretty" to bad that’s where it stops. Most of my problems were not visible to the eye without disassembling the trailer.

The first time we tried to use the trailer we didn’t stay overnight. When I hooked the water up water flooded the basement.

The next time we tried to use it we did stay overnight but when we tried to use the shower the enclose leak water so badly we went home early. When we got back to the dealer one of the technicians came to me and said that Keystone wouldn’t pay for sealing the shower because they had to remove the vanity. I had to tell him to caulk it on the inside not the outside. Then when he insisted he had to do both I showed him how to put a piece of hose on the caulking gun so he could do the seam between the vanity and the shower.

It goes downhill from there.

I did not do the repairs until after Keystone had refused to do them. I had communicated with them for 18 months trying to get the trailer repaired. When they refused to let me bring it to their facility so they could see what the problems were then I bit the bullet and stated looking for a repair facility to do the work.

Phil P
Old 08-26-2013, 06:04 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It sounds like the unit was not completed at the factory. We and many of us have seen the line at the factory. They do fill the tanks with water. They do have these things plugged in and check for everything working. It sound like your unit somehow got around the last couple of stations on the assembly line.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #10
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hello richfaa

For over 10 years I accepted a product directly from the factory for the distributor.

You are correct. They all have one once in a while that just isn’t built correctly even though there is in place a very good production inspection program.

This I understand my problem is the treatment I received from the manufacturer of this unit. When I told them I wanted to bring the unit to them at my expense they told me I had to take it back to the selling dealer. When I said the selling dealer had demonstrated they were not able to repair the unit the fellow at customer service jump down my throat with “are you RVIA certified?” When I told him no but neither was the selling dealer he just said that was too bad they are the only ones that are allowed to do the warranty work. When I told him I wanted to bring them the unit at my expense and just have them look at it he told me I would not be allowed on the property.

At a later date one of the supervisors looked at the transcript of that conversation and it only contained the fact that I wanted to use a different repair facility and I was told to take it back to the selling dealer.

Those phone calls are not recorded. The customer service representative just types the conversation in their terminal at the time.

I will no longer communicate with Keystone or any other Thor Industries personnel on the phone. If they will not communicate by E-Mail or letter then they are “stacking the deck” in their favor.

Phil P