Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
tobymaxx
Established Member

M.O.C. #12978
Winter

We bought a used Montana this past summer and starting out from WI the middle of October. We took our time getting to AZ for the winter. It was great, and other than a few minor issues, I think we have things fairly well figured out. It has helped immensely by reading this forum. We spend 3-5 months in Mesa (Silveridge Park) during the winter.

Next year however, we plan on starting out from WI after Christmas so I assume winterization of the unit will be very important before we leave. We do have the Arctic Pkg and even though we burn quite a bit of propane during cold spells, we can keep the inside pretty comfortable.

Do any of you folks have any advice in regards to the actual travel that time of year. We plan on staying in truck stops along the way as I assume most campgrounds will be closed. But, specifically, do you leave the RV antifreeze in the grey and black water (and possibly even the fresh water) tanks to avoid freeze up, and just run the propane to use the Monty as sleeping quarters and a fridge?

I did run a search but could not find anything on this specifically. Thanks again.

Gary

tobymaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Congratulations on the Montana. Having lived in Wisconsin, I would avoid travel when there is salt water on the road. Corrosion really gets to everything. You will definitely need to winterized before you head south. We got two winters in Texas and didn't need to winterized, but will be in Colorado next season and will need to pump pink stuff. Once you get to where it's above freezing during the day, you can de-winterize. Good luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
michael346LBQ
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13110
Anytime i winterized i would run the pink stuff thru then blow air thru the lines to remove the majority of the pink stuff.
I am in Wisconsin also and right now if it wasnt for the salt i would be on my way to a warmer area, just reading your post has me thinking about maybe getting a small inexpensive trailer to run south in the winter.
michael346LBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Salt is a concern. What we have done is plan, very carefully. We run with no reservations, so we can be flexible about when we leave and when we do not. We wait for the snow to stop, wait 24 to 36 more hours, check to see if the roads are dry. Once they are dry, we run and run hard, due south!

There are a few campgrounds open, search for them. Or do the Flying J/Walleyworld stuff. For instance there used to be a little place near Effingham Illinois that was open, Percival Springs. I believe the hubby has died, so have no idea if they are still viable or not.

We do NOT put water in our unit when we leave in those temps, we travel with lots of wet ones and several gallons of water for flushing. Precooked food is also nice!

IF it starts to snow or heaven forbid even worse, you get into freezing rain, get off the road asap and wait it out. We also tend to stay off the road in high winds and heavy, heavy rain storms.

We managed to get out of SE Michigan in January quite successfully for a number of years by watching the weather in all towns and cities south of us along our route. Now, if all is well, we get out of town in November, the earlier, the better! LOL Those days of leaving home in 4 below temps, well, hopefully, they are a nice memory.

By being very careful about when we run, and the salty conditions, we have been pretty lucky, I don't think there is salt damage on our almost 9 year old unit. Surely not excessive damage.

Oh, as far as pink IN the black and gray tanks. Won't hurt, we never added extra, cause we were not taking showers or doing dishes in Tana until we hit a point far south enough to "un" winterize. We also put minimal water in the toilet during flushing, so, we were not concerned about it freezing up, if there is little there, it won't hurt if it is frozen. Think boondocking under severe conditions.

One other option, drag the unit, sleep in Motels! We have friends that do that too!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Good thinking & info Carol
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Definitely good info! This is how dumb I am ...I just finally got the 'Tana' reference! I have always known that you called 'her' that but couldn't figure out how you came up with the name! DUH!

BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
tobymaxx
Established Member

M.O.C. #12978
Thank you for the good info and options. I didn't even think about the wet salt roads and the corrosion issues, but I should have. We've lived in MN and WI our whole lives with nothing but salt mixtures on the winter roads in our area. I assume it would be almost impossible to get a hose and rinse out all the places the salt would be hiding. Think we'll stick to dry roads and pick our travel timing very carefully.

The forum has been of tremendous help to us as we're still pretty new at this and still trying to learn as much as we can. We went from a park model in this same park to the 5th wheel and have to say we enjoy this even more.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:48 AM   #8
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We moved to Wisconsin during the winter and the salt really gets to stuff. Fortunately, we moved Monty early and just contended with effects to the boat trailer.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:33 AM   #9
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We stayed in southern Ohio until the day after Christmas. Temps probably weren't as severe as Wisconsin, but we did have overnights in the 20's with a couple dips into the teens and days ranging from just above freezing to the low 40's. We burned a 30lb. propane tank every other day. We covered our water hose with those foam pipe insulaters with a heat tape inside. We had no freezing problem and inside was comfortable. We did not use the fresh water tank. I will admit that there were a couple days that I was concerned that we might freeze up. When we left the temps were above freezing, so we didn't need to run the furnace on the road, although that was an option.

Next year the thought is to camp farther south. For years we drove 2 1/2 hours from the stick house to the kids for Christmas. If the weather doesn't cooperate, we can do the same thing from a warmer location.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:26 AM   #10
michael346LBQ
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13110
If things work for me this fall Oct 2013 im hoping to take a trip to montanna then colorado area then south and east to florida and hopfully be back before nov 15th ish before the salt gets back on the roads. my mom is in her 70s now and she said she would like to visit family in montanna so thats one of my goals this year.

The thing with salt is the salty liquid gets into all the nooks and crannys that you cant get at with a hose, when i come across electrical wires that the factory didnt use heat shrink conectors i replace them.
michael346LBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:55 AM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Carol's advice is top notch. One other piece of advice, don't stay in a Flying J or Walmart and think blankets alone will be enough if it's below freezing. Run the furnace! I like it cold, but one night was all it took for me and now we find the open campground, plug in and get warm.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:28 AM   #12
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
listen to Carol, she is wise beyond her years

One thing I might add is in regards to the campgrounds. Yes it is true that a lot are closed during the winter but open ones can be found. Not sure how many miles you travel in a day but, if it was me (and it has been in the past ) I would make haste and get as far south that first day as I safely could. 400-500 miles makes a big difference on the amount of available campgrounds and most likely the temperature as well.
Live out of gallon jugs that first day/night and then you are "home free" and can de-winterize at your next stop and enjoy running water and a nice hot shower. AHHHH!

good luck,

Phil
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Considering we live about 40 miles North of tobymaxx in Washburn, WI let me provide our itinery for our travel South. We leave around Christmas. We travel to the RGV in 3 1/2 days. Watch weather, stay in hotels which have a restraurant or one in walking distance. Monty is winterized. Planning to stay in Monty is a pain as too much is packed in Monty to use it. This year we stopped at HolidayExpress only 90 minutes from Mission. First job after setting up is too throughly wash undercarriage of the Monty and the Dodge to get rid of the Northern salt. After 8 yrs has worked for us.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #14
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
I agree with DQDick. Find a campground that is open, turn on the furnace and fireplace, as well as a ceramic heater. Timberline campground in Anderson Indiana is open year round and is our favorite cold weather stop. It might be a good one for the OP as well.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #15
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
On our trip from Ohio to Alabama the last week of December, we found most of the campgrounds away from the Interstates were closed for the winter. Those near the Interstates were mostly open. We stayed on the back roads during the day, but aimed toward the Interstates when it came time to bed down for the night.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #16
tobymaxx
Established Member

M.O.C. #12978
Sounds like a plan. I like the simple approach so winterizing, running on the driest roads possible, staying in motels, and pinning our ears back and getting South as quickly as possible when the weather will allow Is the approach we'll follow. Then a bit of hosing off and de winterizing when we get far enough and we should be back to normal. Thanks for all of the input.

We stayed 2 spots away from Dick and Joyce in Albuquerque coming down this year and met them briefly. It was his suggestion that got me looking at the forum. So thanks Dick and how's the arboretum treating you? We haven't been up there this year yet, but hopefully soon.