Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2012, 05:02 AM   #21
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by moutard2

I've said this so many times, I know the story line by heart. IF you want to go to an 80lb. LT tire rather than the 110lb. G614 consider the Goodyear G949! It's built like a brick sh**house! I've been using them since I dumped the bombs shortly after I got the trailer in January 2011. They have 10K miles on them now and haven't missed a beat. As a matter of fact, they still look new ... except of course for the odd little curb scuff. IMHO they're the next thing to bulletproof folks. I'm surprised nobody has followed up with at least a comparison. When you're in the market for replacement tires for your rig, do yourself a favor and compare and consider them at the very least. Oh ... and no signs of any unusual wear including the odd wear pattern mentioned above.
I think most of us have so little actual tire knowledge that we are hesitant to try a new tire, some tire not too many folks have, the G614 was talked about so much, and so many people went with them, it seemed to be the tire to go to.
What did your tires cost? More than the expensive G614? How are they different? Are they taller, fatter, ????
The main differences appear to be that the G949's have reinforced shoulders and steel sidewalls. I would think these features make the tire a lot less prone to failures caused by the flexing, low tire pressure and "minor" scuffing occurrences experienced in trailer use. G614's weigh 58lbs. and the G949 55lbs. so not a lot of difference there. Tread depth on the G614 is 12 whereas it's 15 on the 949. The speed ratings are the same at 75mph. The load factor is significantly different however with the G614 G rated at 3750lbs. (single axle) vs. E rated 3042 for the G949. Goodyear state that the G949 uses advanced compounds and construction and coupled with the reinforced shoulders and steel sidewalls, they just might be ideal for heavy trailer use. The cost varies across the country but generally I think they're the same or slightly higher in cost than the G614.

moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:35 AM   #22
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
Interesting problem. We will watch ours.

An added item might be Are the TIRES BLANCED?

Just a thought.

Chip

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #23
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
They sound really good.
Chip, mine were balanced, it is a good thing to do.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #24
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Is the unusual wear on the outside of the port tires and on the inside of the starboard (or visa versa) or is the wear happening on all tires and on the same side?
Old 11-27-2012, 05:16 AM   #25
richard66
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5896
Put LT tires on and forget the ST tires from any maker. I have been using BFG Commercial TA's and Firestone Transforce for many years with no (0) problems. I have heard nothing but complaints about the Goodyear G rated tires. The Goodyears are overated and overpriced.
richard66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:26 AM   #26
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richard66

Put LT tires on and forget the ST tires from any maker. I have been using BFG Commercial TA's and Firestone Transforce for many years with no (0) problems. I have heard nothing but complaints about the Goodyear G rated tires. The Goodyears are overated and overpriced.
I think you may have hit the nail on the head!
Old 11-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ours are balanced, also.

The wear is on both inside and outside on all four tires. On ours it's not a severe wear. I wouldn't even notice it if it were not for the outer edges showing darker than the rest of the tread. The demarcation between the wear edge and non-wear edge is rather sharp. Not feathered. Like it has something to do with the structure. That outer rib is so wide I have to wonder if that's it, there's some kind of belt or something at that point around the circumference of the tire.

The actual wear is insignificant so far. These tires have been on this Montana for 2 1/2 years without a problem other than wondering what this is all about. I highly recommend the tires and would buy them again.

Here's what it looks like. The smudge mark is where I ran a finger across to feel the wear.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am confused.. the very outside tread on our G614s are smooth in fact the spare we just had to use due to a defective valve stem is also smooth on the outside edge.Looking at pictures of the tires on the good year site they appear to be also smooth?????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #29
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think the general complaint and wear issue is a concave wear (not normal) on the G614.
Very abnormal in the 3500 miles on my self-shredding Goodyear tires, I can't imagine what they would have looked like in another 3,000 miles. I would have been a bigger idiot than I am now if I let them go that long.
Steve your tires are not the type of problem I have. Had. Will have if I keep them.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #30
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
Quote:

X2, I have the same BFG, zero issues, never had any luck with Goodyear car, or truck tires, nor the ST Montana orig tires
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #31
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
Mine, at about 15K, look just like Steve's picture. I think it is normal and not a problem.
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #32
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
ST tires...bad, Goodyear tires...baaad, Chinese tires baaaaad.... Any other tire,,,,not so bad.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:13 AM   #33
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steelpony5555

ST tires...bad, Goodyear tires...baaad, Chinese tires baaaaad.... Any other tire,,,,not so bad.
I'm with you Brotha'!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #34
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chip

Interesting problem. We will watch ours.

An added item might be Are the TIRES BLANCED?

Just a thought.

Chip
Chip, ours were balanced when first installed. I posted a picture earlier in this thread of what the wear looks like. I still don't see it as a significant problem. So far. It's a minimal amount of wear on the edges. But it that changes, then so will my opinion. At this point these tires are too expensive to throw away with so many more miles of life remaining on them. And they've given me no other problems whatsoever in 2 1/2 years of traveling.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:14 AM   #35
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by moutard2

Quote:

I think you may have hit the nail on the head!
Hmmm. The G614's are LT tires. Goodyear's website designates them for trailer use only, however, but they are still LT tires built to meet at least LT standards.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:18 AM   #36
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:

I think the general complaint and wear issue is a concave wear (not normal) on the G614.
Very abnormal in the 3500 miles on my self-shredding Goodyear tires, I can't imagine what they would have looked like in another 3,000 miles. I would have been a bigger idiot than I am now if I let them go that long.
Steve your tires are not the type of problem I have. Had. Will have if I keep them.
Jim, you saw the wear in the picture I posted, of our tires. That's with somewhere between 15k and 20k miles on them. Not a significant problem in my opinion, based on our tires. I have the actual mileage in a log in the truck if you need that info. I'm going to run these tires until they're worn out. If that total mileage is not acceptable to me then I'll have room to complain about the wear. At this point, however, they have more miles than I ever got out of the China bombs, which include Marathon, Mission, and Freestar brands. The Freestars, by the way, were provided as a free replacement for the Missions. The Freestars were noticeably heavier, physically, and were rated for 34xx lbs at 65mph (load range E).
Old 12-31-2012, 09:39 AM   #37
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
i'm surprised with this thread regarding G614s...so far lots of luck. I'd buy G614s in a minute.

i hope when i do another 3-4K next summer i will continue to say that.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #38
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
eddie, look at it like this; You go into a tire shop and compare 3 different brands of tires, the salesman tells you the G614 tires will wear on the sides real bad in the first 3,000 miles, all 4 inside and outside. You ask about the other 2 brands, he says no wear you can see.
Makes the decision pretty clear to me..
This wear happened to me and a score of other folks here on the Forum. Would I buy another set. Heck no.
If a guy does not have the wear, I can see he would be happy with them.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:58 PM   #39
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:

eddie, look at it like this; You go into a tire shop and compare 3 different brands of tires, the salesman tells you the G614 tires will wear on the sides real bad in the first 3,000 miles, all 4 inside and outside. You ask about the other 2 brands, he says no wear you can see.
This wear happened to me and a score of other folks here on the Forum. Would I buy another set. Heck no.
What was the actual mileage on your G614's ? Are you still running them or have you replaced them with something else ? You stated in a previous post that they were self shredding, I assume you were talking about the G-614, and if so, maybe you could elaborated on self shredding, to give us some idea what you mean, or maybe some pictures, I don't recall seeing any. I too have some concave wear on my G-614's ,but after 10K miles they don't appear to be self shredding or show anything in excess that one would panic about.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:59 PM   #40
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:

What was the actual mileage on your G614's ? Are you still running them or have you replaced them with something else ? You stated in a previous post that they were self shredding, I assume you were talking about the G-614, and if so, maybe you could elaborated on self shredding, to give us some idea what you mean, or maybe some pictures, I don't recall seeing any. I too have some concave wear on my G-614's ,but after 10K miles they don't appear to be self shredding or show anything in excess that one would panic about.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote