Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
gmstrom
Site Team

M.O.C. #11318
Rear View Cameras

I'm interested in buying a rear view camera for our Monty and wondered if anyone out there has any advice on what to look for and what to stay away from.
I would prefer to use wireless but I have read there can be problems with interference.
I also want to be able to use the camera full time and not just for backing up.
A 5" or 7" display looks to be the right size and a unit that can handle 2 cameras is what I am looking for.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

gmstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
tanner1070
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11365
Here is a link to the camera system I am planning on purchasing shortly. It consists of a rear camera and two side cameras and a quad screen.

Backup Camera

My research indicates that the wireless systems are still not reliable for the needs of a 5th wheel.
tanner1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:02 AM   #3
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Here's a couple of places you will find units that fit most budgets and requirements.

Rear View Safety

RV Cams

Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:58 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the hard wired system from Rv cams.We use it as a rear view mirror. The newer wireles systems are only wireless from the front cap of the 5th wheel to the truck and work just fine. I would now go wireless.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:28 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
A little over a year ago, Keystone-Montana unexpectedly ceased including a wireless rear camera system as an option on the 2011 rigs. We were caught by surprise when the unit arrived without the camera system. After a few e-mails to the regional rep, we learned that there were interference issues with certain trucks that caused the decision. We were glad Keystone-Montana stepped up to the plate and had the dealer install a hard-wired system of our choice by issuing us an acceptable rebate. We elected to go with the Voyager hard-wired system with heavy duty connectors and to date are happy with our decision. I have a very hard time believing that in the last one and a half-years, that the wireless technology has changed markedly to eliminate many previously documented interference issues. The only problem we have had with ours is the troublesome connector to the viewing monitor in the truck. I am currently researching to see if I can supplement their pin-based socket system with some sort of quick-connect. Do your homework, and be diligent with regards to additional investigation on the wireless issues.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:42 AM   #6
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
We installed this one from Rear View Safety and are happy with it. It's only $110. I wish the wireless one worked as well as the wired ones.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It would seem logical that interference can be a problem with wireless systems.We were not aware that there was a big problem.The most reported problem with earlier wireless systems was the distance from the receiver in the truck to the camera in the rear of the 5th wheel. Our camera is on the ladder on the rear of the 06 3400 and that would be about 55 feet from the receiver with the truck and 5th wheel in between. The new systems are hard wired from the front 5th wheel cap to the rear camera.The wireless part was from the front cap to the receiver in the truck. I wondered why Keystone stopped using them but the interference issue makes sense.

We have the TMPS system which is wireless and have had a few false error signals.Interference could have been the problem although we never thought about that..

Good information Bingo..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The way it was described to me (keep in mind this was a year and a half ago), it is actually some electronic components in the engine (computerized everything now) that was the primary cause of the interference. It was a sporadic issue, but even sporadic is a big problem once you get used to having the system available. I actually use it more as a rear-view mirror than a parking aid, although there are times such as backing to the fence at our mini-storage where it is a tremendous help. Once you have one, it is very hard to do without!!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi,
Rear views are super, It has save many a shopping cart and picnic table for me.
I have a system from Tim at RV cams, he has been super on warr. work, after they make the money and then perform, is the test. Tim is an RV guy, sells over on Escapees also.
Mine has an A-B switch on the screen I mounted in the cab, switch it over when towing/not towing.
Here are some links to the work I did.
http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...20for%20truck/
http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...view%20camera/
http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/JimsSue13/Ozzsmods101/Video%20cable%20shrink%20wrap/
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
Krusher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11244
Another vote for Rear View Safety System. Below is a link to a thread detailing my install with picures.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44744&whichpage=2
Krusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Another vote for Tim and RV Cams ... I installed one of his wired cameras on my rear cap, ran the wires down the cap and inside the underbelly, then out thru the front compartment and exiting the area near the breakaway switch on the pin box. I mounted the monitor inbetween the sun visors above the rear view mirror. It's been a great investment with no issues including none with the connector between the truck and fiver.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
We started out with the Voyager wireless system as a factory added option. When it works it is outstanding! However, in 3 1/2 years it has only worked 1/3 of the time. The camera was replaced under warranty. The monitor has been replaced twice, both times under extended warranty, which means I have a $200 deductible each time. (The monitor alone is $700) I just got the new one last week, and we are leaving May 17 on our "around the world" trip, so I HOPE it holds up this time. I am not sure I have any high hopes, and from what I have heard so far, Voyager is one of the premier units. Good luck with whatever you buy. If there ever is a next time I will look at wired units.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #13
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
I think you may have issues with the camera system when crossing the Oceans on your "around the world trip" :-)
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #14
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

Another vote for Tim and RV Cams ... I installed one of his wired cameras on my rear cap, ran the wires down the cap and inside the underbelly, then out thru the front compartment and exiting the area near the breakaway switch on the pin box. I mounted the monitor inbetween the sun visors above the rear view mirror. It's been a great investment with no issues including none with the connector between the truck and fiver.
X2 HERE
The only difference with mine is, I hooked it up to one of my upfitter switches that came with my truck so I can turn it on while driving to see who is tailgating me or to check on the bikes.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #15
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I also went with Tim at RV Cams. I went with the better camera and it is worth it. When you are traveling with the sun shining into the lens you can still see with the better camera.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:16 AM   #16
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fire5er

I think you may have issues with the camera system when crossing the Oceans on your "around the world trip" :-)
Nah. We got an Otter Box case like on our iPhone. Should be pretty waterproof...
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:24 AM   #17
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I have a wired system from Rear View Safety. I have 2 installed on the truck. The 3rd is for the trailer but I have not installed it yet. The camera that is focused on the bed is very handy to make sure all is good with the Jeep while going down the road.

The cameras are a great tool but if you have a spotter use them. Last year my wife was backed in to in a parking lot because a lady was only looking at the back up camera in her Lexus and never actually checked her mirrors or physically looked.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #18
gmstrom
Site Team

M.O.C. #11318
Thanks so much guys, for all the info, photos and links. I really like the idea of having a wireless transmitter located in the from cap of the Monty. But being "Old School",I also like having a hard wire system. Next step is to contact all the vendors mentioned and see what fits my budget.
Thanks Again!
gmstrom is offline   Reply With Quote