Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Technology

I read with great concern about the posts on credit card scams and the folks that state these claims are false according to something called SNOPES.COM. I understand this site does a lot of work on checking these type, and many other types of claims.

I want to commend the original posters for trying to alert people to, even a possiblity of being scammed.

My reason for this post is to state my opinion that, in this day of technological endeavors, such as hacking a DOD computer or FBI files and any other type of technical theft, WHY CAN'T THESE MACHINES BE MODIFIED TO DO JUST WHAT THE ORIGINAL POSTERS ARE TALKING ABOUT? Just because something can't be done in one store does not mean it cannot be done in another store.

Personally, I want to thank these folks for having the moxie for posting this information on our forum. Awareness is a great thing. Whether possible or not, I know I will be checking my receipts more closely now.

Thanks MOCers for making us a little more aware!!!!!!!!

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Phil,
You hit the nail right on the head! It will also make me check my receipts much more carefully. I will still check Snopes and some of the others listed just to make sure of that particular threat. But it is better to err on the side of caution when it comes to what little $$$ we may have left.

Thanks for saying it so well Phil. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:51 AM   #3
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
There is the old story of the country store owner who kept a
new broom buy the checkout counter. He "sold" that broom to
almost everyone who bought a few things. If questioned he said
I though was yours. Most people never even knew!
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
When in Mytle Beach go to Bi-Lo. It is a major supermarket chain in the area. Use your debit card. Ask the cashier can she add some cash back. She will ask you how much? Phil is dead on. Maybe Wal-Mart is set up to not allow the cashier to do it, but I guarantee there are several stores that do. Of course the customer must hit "yes" and confirm it. I work in retail. You wouldn't believe the scams that go on. I see a dozen alerts a day. Definintely be very careful!!!!!
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Phil,
I believe you are 100% correct. It's better to post something that "could" happen, then to not post it at all. It brings about an awareness of potentially other areas that could be a problem. One of the recent episodes of 60 minutes or 20/20, or whatever, gave a story on credit card scanners. This is something that I have known about for years. Whenever my credit card is renewed, I check for that little tel-tale bump that indicates a "chip" for scanning at cash registers. I then gently place it on my vice-anvil and not so gently smash that dastardly little chip to a non functioning state. I know, I know. They have to be real close to scan, but I'm not going to take that chance.

In many cases of credit card (CC) fraud, the CC number is sold by a clerk to crooks who will use the numbers by Internet, or by using a card writer and putting the numbers on hotel key cards that they have stolen. The key cards can then be used in any self-swiping machine. I really like it when a clerk asks to see my card so they can get the last 4 numbers, instead of just asking me, and I especially like it when they ask to see my ID. All of my CC's, in the signature block, have this written in. "See ID."

I pay my CC off each month so there are no interest charges, and I get "rewards" back in the form of cash or gift card. In the past 3 days I bought a garage attic stairway, a software program, a few meals, and DW went grocery shopping and gas. I received a phone call from my CC company fraud department and they left a message to call them immediately upon receiving the message. I did, and it was an automated system that identified me and asked if one of the purchases at Wal-mart was made by me (us). I punched #1 to confirm. They never asked about the other higher end purchases, just Wal-mart.(Groceries) It made me think about the posting regarding cash back frauds, etc. It still makes me think.

Oh! I was walking into Fry's electronics a week or so ago, and I spotted a credit card on the sidewalk. I went to the customer service center and turned it over to them. I hope they notified the person. It was a Chase Visa card.

what goes around, comes around.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Of course systems can be modified/programmed to perform all kinds of tasks including phony charges, higher tax rates, etc, etc. When I go to Home Depot I just show my military ID and the cashier keys in a sequence that gives me 10% off the total charge (imagine that). After all, most registers are either networked computers or "dumb terminals" connected to a centralized computer or server.
I don't believe that a business as big as Walmart with so much to lose, would intentionally scam customers in this manner or tolerate any employee who would do it (no, I'm not saying all of their employees are saints). It would be just as foolish for any other business ... the negative publicity would be ruinous. Does it happen at all? Possibly. There are jails full of people who thought they could "get away with it".
I think it's a good practice to check your receipt against items purchased. We do it all the time.
The posts generated as a result of the OP have highlighted the need for awareness and that's good... hoaxes and internet myths, however, are a waste of bandwidth.
All this is, of course, JMHO. No offense intended to anyone on the MOC.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

I read with great concern about the posts on credit card scams and the folks that state these claims are false according to something called SNOPES.COM. I understand this site does a lot of work on checking these type, and many other types of claims.

I want to commend the original posters for trying to alert people to, even a possiblity of being scammed.

My reason for this post is to state my opinion that, in this day of technological endeavors, such as hacking a DOD computer or FBI files and any other type of technical theft, WHY CAN'T THESE MACHINES BE MODIFIED TO DO JUST WHAT THE ORIGINAL POSTERS ARE TALKING ABOUT? Just because something can't be done in one store does not mean it cannot be done in another store.

Personally, I want to thank these folks for having the moxie for posting this information on our forum. Awareness is a great thing. Whether possible or not, I know I will be checking my receipts more closely now.

Thanks MOCers for making us a little more aware!!!!!!!!
AGREE!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:43 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The professional hackers will always be one step ahead of security measures. It is wise to chck every receipt for errors. Here is one thing we notice at least here in Florida.

Our bill is say 25.00 at a resturant and we leave a 5.00 tip total 30.00 and we pay by debit or credit card.... The charge will show up as 25.00 not 30.00 and it will take a few days for the "tip" to show up and the 25.00 charge will change to 30.00. Be sure the amount of the tip is what you stated on the check when you paid it. It happends.....

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:08 AM   #9
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Rich, exactly why I pay the tip in cash. Also its easier for the waiter or waitress to handle it. They also get what they deserve the tip you give them, not what management decides.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote