Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2010, 05:07 AM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
It's finally here!!! Banks Brake

Check out this link:

http://bankspower.com/products/group/14-SpeedBrake

Gale Banks engineering finally came out with a brake system for some newer model Chevys and Fords. Reviews are also pouring in and what a system it is. It is so customizable that you can actually go downhill, that is steep and long, with your load, never tap the brake and actually slow your rig to 25MPH. Now THAT'S braking. Or just preset a speed you want to maintain on the way down and it's all taken care of for you (What happens when you get close to another rig going slower? More to read).

I looked up my truck and the system is under $1,500, ouch, and I don't think it includes installation! This is the bad news. Similar systems are about $800 to $900 from BD Diesel or PacBrake for my truck. But the Banks Brake comes with a computer, big screen and other customizable stuff, which I have to figure out if I really need it that fancy.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:13 AM   #2
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
More stuff to go wrong? I like the idea of setting the downhill speed though.
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:20 AM   #3
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Art,
The Tow Command isn't enough? I haven't found a downhill grade that the Tow Command can't handle yet out here in the Pacific NW. Is this also a tuner? I have been contemplating a tuner after my warranty run out.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:54 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Nope, I have to tap the brakes too much even when using Tow/Haul. I live near some nasty ascents/descents. Maybe some of you have been through here and know what I'm talking about.

I-5 (Grapevine), I-15 (Cajon Pass to the north, and three hills to the south), Hwy 101 (Camarillo to the west and north of Santa Barbara), I-10 (Chiriaco summit) to the East. These are the routes I use to get out of town. Then destinations include Yosemite, Eastern Sierras, high deserts and other mountain or hilly places in California or Arizona. The western states are riddled with long, and sometimes very steep routes.

The engine and trans are tolerable on my truck and when towing I can get up a hill pretty good so far (it could be better of course), but I'd feel much better with some braking assistance. This is my priority.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:06 AM   #5
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I had the PacBrake installed on our truck earlier this year and what a difference it has made. The Tow Haul worked ok for me on grades of 5% or less, but I have been on some 7 and 8% grades with the PacBrake and never even had to use the brakes. All of the new trucks are coming out with them and I can understand why. After having an exhaust brake I would never have another truck without one for towing.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Art, I put one on my truck and it works great. On my GMC everything was plug and play. Not only does it close the turbo off it also shifts the transmission to lower gears without having to tap the brakes. Like you say it's not cheap but for me it was money well spent.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I did not see one for my truck just for the other two companies . just joking around..................
Old 08-05-2010, 04:06 AM   #8
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
This system (Banks) has been out for a while now. I've been looking at it for our 2008 Duramax. HOWEVER, I checked with my dealer, and as with any aftermarket item, there could be an issue with the engine warranty, should something go wrong. So, no "brake" for me, yet. But, I did take note that the new 2011 Duramax, with an exhaust brake factory installed, does operate EXACTLY like the Banks system (maybe it is???) So, I have bugged the dealer, and written a letter to GM, asking about a factory retrofit, that WOULD be covered under warranty. The dealer said they are getting lots of requests, and he bugs the factory rep every time he shows up. Perhaps in the near future there may be a factory "add on" covered by factory warranty???
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:53 AM   #9
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TAKPAK

[font=BookSo, I have bugged the dealer, and written a letter to GM, asking about a factory retrofit, that WOULD be covered under warranty. The dealer said they are getting lots of requests, and he bugs the factory rep every time he shows up. Perhaps in the near future there may be a factory "add on" covered by factory warranty??? [/font=Book Antiqua]
That would be great! You think it could be done with a software update of some sort. If Banks can do it with a plug in system, all the appropriate hardware must be in place already.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #10
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I have a PacBrake but it does not seem to work as good as Rich's. I wonder if there is a way I can check to see if it is installed correctly?
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:37 AM   #11
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MAMalody

I have a PacBrake but it does not seem to work as good as Rich's. I wonder if there is a way I can check to see if it is installed correctly?
The guy who installed mine has a Ford with a PacBrake on it. When he test drove mine after installation he told me that mine worked better that his did but I don't know what the difference would be.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:51 AM   #12
dreamers2010
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9962
Send a message via AIM to dreamers2010
We have added the Banks Brake System w/power boost. It has the computer. Since we have a weight problem, it makes us feel better in regards to controlling & slowing on steep downhill grades. The computer gives you several readouts depending on what you feel you need. We can keep aware of temperatures via this computer.

My husband installed most everything himself. He did get a friend who could get under the truck easier than him to drill the required hole in the manifold. It works great and you definitely don't need it turned own with just the truck if you're not towing.

Judy
dreamers2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:53 AM   #13
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Art - this is nothing like a PAC or Jake Brake. It is all electronic, meaning you don't have to cut into the exhaust system to install it. Everything is 'plug and play'.

Having said that, I have some reservations about it. What effect will this have on engine longevity? I can remember years ago when tuners first came out, they weren't supposed to effect the life of the engine, but that was later proven false. Will this be the same? I wish I knew for sure!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #14
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Yes, Tom I was aware of installation. It controls braking using the turbo via the computer and other electronics. Same as other speed and performance tuners, a brake system can probably be overstressed or abused. I tend to be more on the cautious side than not so I hope the braking system helps more than hurts. Only time and testimonials will tell.