Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
herewegotogether
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9367
Pull Rite Hitch

Just had the Pull Rite Super 18K hitch installed. We are living in an apartment until we pick up our new Monty.
My question is have any of you changed the pins to locks and if so how many locks (2, 4 or 6.
Thanks for the info.

Bill

PS 2 1/2 weeks until we take position of our new home.

herewegotogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
Farmhawk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9080
The only locks I use is on the release lever. I don't feel it is necessary to put looks on your hold down pins. Good luck to anyone wanting to pull those pins, I am 6'6" and can't reach them in the bed of my truck.
Farmhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:42 AM   #3
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
I put a cable lock through my Reese slider back years ago. Don't think anyone would try to steel it, and it would probably just slow them down. Being a cable, it still allows the slider base to operate.

I agree with Farmhawk, that one of the best things you can do for safety, is put a lock on the release lever, expecially when you are towing. It requires you to ensure that the jaws are properly locked, and it keeps the nosy from pulling the lever while you are in the rest stops or parked elsewhere, which would result in a dropped trailer. I had heard about 4 years ago when I started pulling my Montana, that at a rest area, someone had pulled the release lever on a fifth wheel, then stayed around at a distance to laugh when they dropped the trailer. I still do a walk around and check hitch pin lockup and give the release lever a tug, every time I get ready to roll back out onto the road.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I locked mine. Used one lock at each level of the hitch. 1 on the head, 1 on the slider portion and 1 on the rails. If somebody wants to steal it it will just take a little longer. As farmhawk said it's a heavy thing. The lock for the handle is a must. I use a hitch pin lock.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
There's a special place in Hades for those kind of low lifes. I too run a padlock through the hole for my release lever every time I hook up. If I make it a habit, I'll do it every time.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Devildog

I had heard about 4 years ago when I started pulling my Montana, that at a rest area, someone had pulled the release lever on a fifth wheel, then stayed around at a distance to laugh when they dropped the trailer.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I ran a cable lock through my old Superglide as well as a lock on the release handle after hitching. Neither of the locks would stop someone from stealing the hitch, but as already mentioned, it will at least slow them down or make them think twice.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
farmhawk...where does the lock go in the release lever...I have never used one and don't see a place for a lock...never thought of one before....it is pretty heavy..have not considered anyone stealing it...guess maybe we should check it over better....look at the manual for it...
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #8
Farmhawk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9080
When the jaws engage around the king pin of the trailer the release handle snaps back in toward the hitch. The slot that the release lever travels in is elongated so when the lever moves back into place there is room above the lever to slip a 1/4" to 5/16" lock. With the lock in place the lever cannot be pulled.
Farmhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:10 AM   #9
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
Farmhawk..thanks for the info..I understand where you are putting the lock...we'll look into doing something....
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:12 PM   #10
hamcamper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #768
I have a pullrite hitch and I have found that once you pull the trailer forward it is just about impossible to pull the handle. That's why you have to back into the hitch to pull the handle when unhitching. Also, the hitch uses a single "jaw" which rotates around the hitch pin so that there is no way that the jaw can open accidently. I haev been using the same hitch since 2005 and on two Montys. I love the automatic slide feature because I never have to worry about hitting the truck cab.
hamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:33 AM   #11
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
I use a lock on the release handle for trips since it will deter hooligans from fooling around. I have a 9mm for anyone dumb enough to try and steal the hitch.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #12
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
I too thought once the hitch handle released and snapped shut, it would not open with pressure on the pin. I drove off and at our first stop, I for some reason looked and the handle had come out about 3/4 and was barely hooked. Found out it was a lubrication issue but that is when I started locking it not for anti theft but for peace of mind going down the road!
sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote