Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2009, 06:22 AM   #1
bdarr4014
Established Member

M.O.C. #6483
Titan Fuel Replacement Tank

I am thinking about installing a Titan 51 gal replacement tank on my F250. Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with a Titan tank? Would like to hear your comments, good or bad.

bdarr4014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:45 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I have thought about it so will be interested in your report if you do go forward.

My one concern for doing by myself is are specialty wrench call for in the Dodge service manual to remove the current 35 gal tank. That will add about 90 to 100 pounds to the truck with a full tank.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:49 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
When we first got our truck, I kicked around the idea of adding or replacing the tank for a while. Then after we took our trip to the 49th state, I figured out for us, at least, it would be a waste of money. I have problems with my knees (the one thing I inherited from Dad that I wish he would take back!) and after a few hours of driving, I need a few minutes break. Since we are stopping anyway, I top off the tank.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
bruiser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6319
I would also be interested in any feedback on the Titan tank. I have an 06 GMC which I had the Transfer Flow installed on. I am real happy with this tank. My son likes the truck so I am going to sell it to him - at a much reduced price. I am just now negotiating with my dealer for a new truck and plan on having a new larger fuel tank installed. I have got quotes from local dealers for both tanks - the Titan is $356.00 cheaper (installed) The Transfer Flow tank is 46 gallons and the Titan tank is 52 gallons. Do I go with the metal tank or the cross-linked polyethylene tank?
bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
How big is your current tank? Short beds were about 29 gallon, long beds were about 38 gallon. Just consider the additional weight gain will lessen your cargo carrying capacity and increase your Rear Axle Weight and Gross Vehicle Weight.

Isn't the stock tank plastic? That should make for a lighter weight tank.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I installed the titan tank on my Duramax and have never regretted it. Have had 0 pproblems.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:57 AM   #7
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
We installed the 51 gallon tank on our 2007.5 GMC 3500. It hasn't all been a bed of roses:
1. The installers (not an RV dealer) messed up re-installing the fuel sensor/pump unit, resulting in the gas gauge sticking;
2. They messed up the new vent hoses that are required, resulting in burping and a fuel leak. This despite the very detailed installation instructions, with photos, available for free from Titan's website;
3. The tank that we got was shipped prior to a recall, so the factory had to ship a revision kit;
4. The design of the tank seems not to accommodate the shape of the passenger cabin's floor at the front of the tank, so the tank's nose presses up against the pan, resulting in road vibration passing from the frame into the cabin, bypassing the cabin's rubberized mounting points (a flanking path, as the acousticians among us will recognize);
5. The tank holds about 370lbs. of fuel, split maybe 50/50 between front and rear axles on the driver's side only. The load on the front axle can sometimes slightly exceed the GAWR when we're loaded for travel and the TV will visibly tilt a bit to the driver's side (even without me in it );
6. The shape of the tank, like a rowboat, causes the fuel gauge to hang at full for a long time, then rapidly drop as the pool of fuel in the bottom half of the tank shrinks - if we get to an indicated 1/4 of a tank, we start looking for fuel!
The installation and recall issues were solved by a return trip to the dealer and substantial amount of excellent support from the factory. We're stuck with the vibration issue, which I am considering how to amend. The weight and balance and gauge issues are ours forever.
On the upside, we can buy fuel at cheap places and drive by expensive places, grinning. Of course, it takes fuel to haul fuel, so we're only saving money if the difference is substantial. For example, the cost of fuel in Quebec is about 10 cents/litre (40 cents/gallon) more than in Ontario, so we fill up at the Flying J in Napanee, Ontario before driving to Montreal to visit our families and fill up again on the way home, saving $20. The tank we have is cross-linked polyethelene. If you go ahead with the Titan tank, make sure that: the dealer has done it before; the dealer gets their stock directly from Titan (not a third party that has old stock); that the tank will not touch the floor of the cabin; that your weight configuration can manage 370lbs (or the weight police will be bugging you ). I have pictures of the installation issues that I can send you if you email me.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:07 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Hey KathyandDave,

You bring up a good point. Adding a larger replacement tank could change the side to side balance of the truck so that it might list in the direction of the larger tank when it's full. I guess this is why some folks install fuel cells in and across the truck bed, then use some kind of a fuel transfer pump to get it to the main tank. The bad news is that arrangement loses truck bed space.

Thanks for pointing out the weight concerns. We often forget to consider that. And you did this on a 1 ton dually; the OP is about a 3/4 ton Ford.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #9
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Just add a leaf spring to that 3/4 ton and you got a 1 ton.ggg
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:00 PM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
bdarr, The write-up by KathyandDave would be enough for me to steer clear of this tank. I did have a Transfer Flow 50 gal installed in my '05 chevy 2500 short bed and never noticed any leaning or problems with it. I would consider Tranfer Flow again, albeit expensive, but after Dave's comments that is where I would spend my money. My opinion, of course...

ON EDIT: Mine was the OEM replacement tank, not an add on. I only had a total of 50 gals......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:28 PM   #11
Caseclosed
Established Member

M.O.C. #8423
I have the transfer flow 50 gal tank and love it the gage from transfer flow shows the number of gal. in the main tank and the 50 gal tank and your truck gage shows the total of both tanks as the pump keeps both tanks equal when the main tank is down to 10 gal the 50 gall tank will still have 20 gal for 75 gal total when full.
Caseclosed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:09 AM   #12
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
I think that the Titan is a pretty good product, but requires some care to install correctly. It re-uses the pump/sensor unit of the original. It installs at the same location as the original, on the driver side under the pickup bed forward of the rear axle, but extends forward to give more capacity. I don't think there's room on the passenger side due to the very large exhaust pipe. The forward extension of the tank has to duck under the cross beam that spans between the long frame pieces at the back of the cabin, dividing the tank into two volumes, joined by a very shallow passage at the bottom. The vent system has to vent the volumes separately, with independent rollover valves, yet drain properly, so the vent tubing requires proper installation (detailed well in Titan's web manual). The gauge indication is definitely a downside, a consequence of re-using the original pump/sensor (called a "sender unit", if I remember correctly).
Old 07-23-2009, 11:47 PM   #13
bob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6258
I have installed both tanks. Pros& cons good thing titian is lighter. bad thing front support bar on Titian is not very sturdy it has been known to fall of causing front of tank to drop down also if you do use one be sure to check inside of tank for mfg left overs, Transfer flow cons are the weight.both tanks are both direct replacement tanks. All so transfer flow cost more & it is more to ship. Which would I use or recomend Transfer flow.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:58 AM   #14
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Gee, bob, I wish I had joined the MOC and asked the same question as bdarr BEFORE buying the Titan tank. The installation was awful. Do you know if the floor of the "new" Sierra CC is different from the floor of the "classic"? Our "new" floor is formed down at one area so the tank's nose rubs up against it. The front support bar can't be adjusted because its ends have preformed ends that hook over the lip of the frame's C-channel. I'm thinking of putting a high-density foam layer, maybe Neoprene, between the tank's nose and the floor pan, but how do I get a bit of clearance in there? Thoughts?
Old 07-24-2009, 05:12 AM   #15
bob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6258
Dave my install have only been classic
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #16
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
I live in Chico where Transfer Flow is located and had the stock 35 gal tank in my 07 Dodge 3500 MegaCab replaced with their 56 gal tank and couldn't be happier. Mine was the first MegaCab they had done so they did the install for half price.

I would definetly go with Transfer Flow.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote