Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
Joe Wakeman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9349
Slides hydraulic leaks new 3465SA

We have only been out once with our new unit. Upon retuning home and cleaning up the trailer I pulled in the slides and about 2 days later I find a oil puddle at the base of driver side leg. Took it back to the dealer who diagnosed the problem as loose fittings at the control valves.
Took the unit home, ran the bedroom slide out and in, the next day I have my puddle of oil back. The trailer is back at the dealer now.

I am wondering if any one else has had this type of problem?

Joe Wakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
I had a bulging hydraulic hose on the pressure side near the pump which was visible in the front compartment. If that happened in a place that you couldn't see then possible weeping from the bulge could run down to a low point and eventually show-up as a ground puddle. I still get visions of the mess if the hose had ruptured.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Joe Wakeman

....Took it back to the dealer who diagnosed the problem as loose fittings at the control valves.
Took the unit home, ran the bedroom slide out and in, the next day I have my puddle of oil back. The trailer is back at the dealer now.

I am wondering if any one else has had this type of problem?
Yes, I had the same problem while boondocking. Lucky for me, I had a large selection of O-rings with me! It is most likely that the O-ring(s) are damaged, it's a pretty simple fix (if you're not out in the woods!) and the dealer should have no problem sorting it out for you.

For a link to the thread about my little adventure, >>CLICK HERE
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
mailmanguy
Established Member

M.O.C. #6684
I'm going through the same thing right now. Very slow leaking but none the less very annoying. I've tightened up all the fittings and even put a little extra effort into tightening up the screws that allow you to shut off individual slides. Again, to no avail.

I may have to replace the shut off valve unit.

This has really been the only problem that we have had with our unit. This unit is very sound and handles like a dream on the road.

I love my Montana and although I don't comment very much, I'm here almost daily reading and learning. So with that, I would like to say, "Thank you everybody for your wonderful insight!"
mailmanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Welcome to the leaking oil club. Ours has been "fixed" again with another new O ring. So far so good, one month.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mailmanguy, if you cannot see where the oil is going, you might have the same problem we had. Our leak was at the swivel on the hose that connects to the hydraulic cylinder under the bed. To get to it you have to remove the safe (if yours is under the bed) - 4 screws inside the safe, if I recall), then remove the two screws holding in the plywood base. Lift the plywood out and you can get to the hydraulics. Ours was dripping into the tray under the cylinder so we had no oil on the carpet under there. Here's a couple of pictures to show you what I'm talking about. Of course, yours may be leaking somewhere else.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
mailmanguy
Established Member

M.O.C. #6684
Thank you for the reply Steve.

On our unit, the oil is dripping from the four screws on the selector manifold.

Very slowly.

We're starting our third year camping in this unit and I'm just now adding a half of a "dixie cup" of ATF. I'm thinking the "O" rings are not seated properly.
mailmanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We had that same leak while still under warranty. Lippert sent me a new manifold and instructions for relieving pressure prior to changing it out. It was a quick and easy change. You might call them and ask. I am not sure how long the warranty is on the manifold but you may still be in warranty. The new one came with black knobs that require only an easy 1/2 turn to lock out a slide. Much easier than those silver knurled knobs of the old one.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #9
2bornot2b

M.O.C. #9465
I had a main pump seal failure on the motor. Warranty from Lippert is 5 years from the date of the manufacture of the trailer. Lippert sent a complete new unit including motor to the repair shop while we were traveling and paid most of the diagnosis and install cost. I had to send pictures of the pump to Lippert to get the correct pump configuration. The out of warranty cost for the pump is about $1200. Seems like a seal kit would be a good spare part. I was prohibited from repair of the pump as the warranty was still in effect. Make certain you know how to manually crank in the slides under each slide without using a cordless to run the pump. The tray under the pump will hold all of the pump reservoir fluid.I placed a commercial oil fabric absorption pad here for future issues.
2bornot2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #10
Joe Wakeman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9349
Update on the leak progress. After 8 days in the shop a new line was sent to replace the line running to the large slide on the rear of the trailer. Once that was fixed a second leak has appeared next to he manifold. The service man is coming to me, this time to see what parts are needed next. Sure would like to use the trailer someday soon.

I sure hope this is not a weak point with these units.
Joe Wakeman is offline   Reply With Quote