Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2009, 05:47 AM   #1
bobbyd13

M.O.C. #9194
Advice/Opinions Needed

We currently own a travel trailer and are considering upgrading to a fifth wheel. We have narrowed our selection down to couple of specific manufacturers and models. We are leaning toward a 2009 Montana 3665RE. We would like to solicite inputs and advice from some long time/full time RVer's.

1. I have read elsewhere on this forum that slide toppers may only last 3-4 years. With 4 slides, this could be a considerable expense. I understand the purpose of the toppers, but considering the initial cost and replacement cost, are they really a worthwhile option?

2. One option available is a generator. With the unit installed under the bedroom area, how much of an issue does noise and vibration become? Is the noise they create loud enough to be bothersome to surrounding neighbors?

3. Are extended warranties worthwhile? Do the RV manufacturers offer them or are they only available through second parties?

4. Is it recommended to have a second A/C unit in a rig 33ft or larger? We have a single ducted unit in our 30ft TT now, that has been sufficient so far, but we have never had the TT in the sustained high temperatures of the south or west.

5. Is a washer and dryer unit worth the cost and does it prove to be adequate in the washing and capacity?

bobbyd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:05 AM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Bobby
I can't answer all your questions but I will give you my humble opinion on a few. A lot of it depends on how often you use your unit and where you are going.
We have four slides and no toppers. It is only a problem when parked under trees. Then you have to clean the top of the slides before pulling them in.
We do have a washer/dryer combo and would not be without it. There are only 2 of us, no pets, and we do very well with our combo.
Since we choose our spots based on the weather, we did not see the need for a 2nd AC. We have not camped in high humidity areas though and we may see the need then. We run fans and do well. Of course, we are use to warm weather being from So. Calif.
We plan on purchasing a generator but will not have it installed in the Monty. There are generators on the market that are pretty quite.
Good Luck on your purchase. These are all things that can be added after purchase.
Happy Trails................................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:17 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
We are vacationers - but might have some input to your questions:

1. Slide toppers are subject to climate. UV breakdown, wind, humidity all have impacts on longevity, but your 3-4 maybe 5 year estimate is probably pretty good for the factory fabric. Replacement fabric is cheaper than your upfront cost for installing the slide toppers, because you retain all the hardware.

2. The Onan generators designed for that space are super quiet. I actually have to run outside to hear if it started sometimes, depending on the activity inside. They are as quiet as reaonably achievable outside, but I still wouldn't want to be a neighbor to one overnight.

3. Extended warranties - no opinion. We don't have one.

4. Definately go with the 2nd AC. If you travel into any high temperature areas, you will end up getting it anyway, and the factory installs are cheaper.

5. We have the washer - dryer stacked (Ariston). The performance is surprising - but I could never estimate what it would be like to depend on them. We just use ours for vacation.

Have fun with your shopping!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
In my humble opinion:

Slide-toppers are nice, but they do make quite a bit of noise in the wind, enough to keep us awake or make hearing the television difficult. (Even with a slight breeze, the noise terrifies our grandkids, our dogs, and our cat.) The noise level depends on the strength of the wind, of course, but I'm not sure we'd get them again on our next rig because even with gentle winds, they are noisy. Up here in the Montana "dryness" and wind, 2 of the 3 we have didn't last 6 months.

We have an Onan generator and can't hear it inside the rig. It's extremely quiet. Outside, we can hear it a little bit, but we'd never run it if we were set up close enough to someone else that the noise would distub them. I suffered through a camping experience with my "high maintenance" aunt and uncle, who couldn't live without their generator running 24/7 to power their electrical toys. The peace and quiet and beauty of a Taylor Lake campground (Colorado) vacation several years ago was shattered by that darn generator.

We did buy an extended warranty. After pricing the repairs of some things that are prone to problems, we decided the warranty price would easily pay for itself if we used it only once. You can read the opinions of other extended warranty owners on other threads--that info is why we did buy the warranty. We were newbies when we bought our Montana, so the experiences and opinions of seasoned RV owners were invaluable to us.

Our 3585 was prewired for a second A/C unit, so we had one installed before we took possession of it. We knew we'd be spending a lot of time in Texas during the 110-degree heat in the Hill Country as well as in the humidity along the coast. We're Texas natives who lived in those conditions for 50+ years, and we know the reality of having to run air conditioners in December. My brother, "AKA "Scrooge," bought a 3400 without a second AC unit and has regretted that decision for 2 years now. He said that one AC just doesn't keep his rig comfortable during the summer in Texas or Colorado. He doesn't even have the prewiring for a second AC; to put one in now would be a considerable expense.

We put in the Splendide combo washer/dryer unit and used it regularly when we lived in our rig for a year. My only complaint with that combo unit is that no matter what you do, you're going to wind up with wrinkles when you dry something. I know all the tricks (fold jeans before putting them into the dryer, don't dry things completely, don't overload the cylinder when drying, etc.), but we still had wrinkles. When drying my nicer pants and tops, I'd dry them for 5 to 10 minutes max, and then pull them out and hang them up to finish drying. No wrinkles that way, but if you don't have a good place to hang laundry outside, you'll be dodging wet clothes until things dry. (Compared to hauling dirty laundry to a laundromat in town 35 miles away, that wrinkle/wet clothes situation was preferable!)

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bobbyd13

We currently own a travel trailer and are considering upgrading to a fifth wheel. We have narrowed our selection down to couple of specific manufacturers and models. We are leaning toward a 2009 Montana 3665RE. We would like to solicite inputs and advice from some long time/full time RVer's.

1. I have read elsewhere on this forum that slide toppers may only last 3-4 years. With 4 slides, this could be a considerable expense. I understand the purpose of the toppers, but considering the initial cost and replacement cost, are they really a worthwhile option?

If camping in high wind areas, I wouldn't want the slide toppers. We have them, and the wind shakes the whole RV.

2. One option available is a generator. With the unit installed under the bedroom area, how much of an issue does noise and vibration become? Is the noise they create loud enough to be bothersome to surrounding neighbors?

No experience on this one.

3. Are extended warranties worthwhile? Do the RV manufacturers offer them or are they only available through second parties?

With the quality I've seen in RV manufacturing, I would want the extended warranty (service contract)on any brand.

4. Is it recommended to have a second A/C unit in a rig 33ft or larger? We have a single ducted unit in our 30ft TT now, that has been sufficient so far, but we have never had the TT in the sustained high temperatures of the south or west.

I would get the second unit. It'll be there in case you need it. Nothing like being in a hot place with one AC and it won't cool. We added the 13.5 Dometic Penguin our first summer here in TX.

5. Is a washer and dryer unit worth the cost and does it prove to be adequate in the washing and capacity?

That will be a priority for us next time. Of course, we full time, and have to go to the laundry ever week.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:42 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
First, we are full timers and have been in this unit for 20 months. We have put 10,000+ miles on the rig. I chose not to have the slide toppers, (1) the cost to perceived value (2) flapping in the wind issue.

We chose not to have the Onan generator (1) cost to value, out of line (2) We do very little, if any boondocking (3) I prefer to have lighter weight portable units like a pair of the Honda 2000ie which still could be stored in the front bay, but taken out for other uses apart from the RV.

On our previous unit (2003 Big Sky), we had an extended warranty. It came into play twice. Once for front leg motor and gear box replacement and once for expensive repair of the main A/C unit. Those repairs ran about $900 each. Much larger issues can arise, so I recommend some kind of extended service policy. Just make sure it pays when you need it. We have one on this new rig.

I highly recommend the second A/C unit. In august, in central Texas, one unit cannot keep up much less cool the unit after you have stopped and set up after towing in hot weather.

Dianna would not be without her Ariston stacked washer and dryer sold by Splendid. We chose the stackables because washing and drying can be done concurrently. Loads are smaller and 110 ac drying is slower, but the washer is fairly sophisticated and the dryer has a full range of controls. This washer is better than the Kenmore stacked units we had in the 2003 RV. This unit has a larger capacity than the Kenmore, but is still small compared to your stick house units.

You asked for opinions. These are our opinions and some of the reasons (or justifications) for those decisions. Others will have different opinions or justifications. You will notice that we all tend to think our decisions are the best ones.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Slide out awnings haven't caused us any issues with regard to noise. However, there are number of "do it yourself" projects that can be employed to mitigate noise/water accumulation if you feel the need. As we are in Florida with a lot of oak trees where our unit (2955 RL) resides we are happy to have the slides.

We have an Onan generator (bought it on Ebay for a GREAT price and it was new with warranty), but we elected to mount it in the bed of the truck at the "front" (directly behind the cab). This allows it to be used for situations other than with the 5er (e.g., after a hurricane at the house if we are without electric) and leaves a significant amount of additional storage space in the unit.

We have an extended warranty...same reason as previously stated one repair and it pays for itself. We do the same with our vehicles and they have MORE than paid for themselves every time.

Second A/C was an absolute necessity for us for a number of reasons: we are in Florida which equals heat and humidity; we experienced an A/C problem in our first class A during the summer and when it was raining and we had just the one unit...thankfully, my hubby and Dad are proficient and DIY repairs and were able to get it working again until we were able to get to a repair facility, but it was VERY uncomfortable for a while...a second unit would have been priceless at that point; if you have guests and want privacy at night in the 5er closing doors makes for less than optimal temperatures; when we are in the living area we turn the bedroom unit on and when we are in the bedroom we turn the living room unit on...that way we can hear the t.v.s and the start and stop of the a/c doesn't wake me up/disturb my sleep.

Can not speak to the washer/dryer unit as we don't have one as we vacation/weekend in the unit and did not think it a necessary expense; something we wanted to forfeit space for; something to add weight to the unit when we weren't sure how often we'd use it...campground/local laundromats have been more than sufficient for our needs. IF we were to get washer/dryer I would likely opt for a stacker unit as the combo units (which they use overseas) leaves a LOT to be desired in my book.

Good luck!

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
All the above but check on one thing when dealing with an extended warrant.

You will want an "Exclusionary Extended Warranty," and most likely $100 deductible. An exclusionary warranty covers everything except those items specifically listed as excluded. Read the fine print, then decide. To get an idea, search on: rv extended exclusion warranty.

Slide Toppers: We sat in 45MPH gusts and finally pulled the slides in becasue of the flapping noise. However, there are other means of securing the toppers with flat straps that will eliminate the flapping. If you are under trees and it rains, the leaves, twigs, etc., will stick to the topper when it is being rolled up so you will need a brush that you can reach from the ground as DW is slowly retracting the slide. This is an occasional occurrence so you have to weigh the benefits. I prefer the toppers - but I have never had a unit without toppers so I have no comparison.

Generator: I spent $4500 for an Onan 5500w generator and the only time it got used in 1 year of ownership was when I tested it. It will definitely come in handy if you do a lot of boondocking but be prepared if it is a propane generator as it will suck up 30# of propane in 8-12 hours depending on load. If I had to do a 5th wheel over again I would do without a built in generator and should the need arise I'd purchase portable ones that could be used anywhere. The new technology on portable generators is like whisper quiet. (The Onan was very quiet)

Definitely on the second AC.

The RV washer/dryer or W/D Combo is a choice issue. My DW prefers the stackable as we had in the 3400RL. We now have a combo and she does not like it as well. In both cases she says the loads have to be smaller. It's a must have for her. Personally, I don't care where the laundry gets done, and I do it sometimes.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Slide toppers.. They do flap in high winds..they do make noise when they flap. We do have them as I do not want to be climbing up there cleaning off the top of the slides. Ours are in good shape after 34 months of Long timing.

Generator. We have a portable 3.5KW Kipor.We have never had to use it in 34 months of long timing. If you are a boon docker the generator is a good investment.

Washer dryer..we have one..it is small and takes a long time to wash and dry,,but we have plenty of time and it is very handy. It is running as I type this.

Extended warranty ..we have one Exclusionary as Waynem indicates.. We have used it to the tune of over 900.oo in the last 34 months.

Second A/C.... we have one... very handy when needed..

As stated it all depends on how you use the camper. What we have is best for us and how we use our camper.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:19 AM   #10
azleflyer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9140
We purchased our rig used and use it for business and pleasure. For long stays (2 months or more) W/D would be nice but not sure if it is necessary (weight/space). Slide toppers too expensive (in my opinion) vs. a broom. Second A/C is a must for us short or long stays. We did have one A/C unit go down. Extended warranty was well worth it for us (furnace, A/C, microwave and converter problems).
azleflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:

First off, we are full timers, having lived in our rig for going on nine years. We don't have the slide toppers for three reasons: 1) Noisy in the wind; 2) Stretching of fabric; and 3) We couldn't justify the cost

We boondock a lot and have solar panels. We carry a Honda 2000i generator for those times when we might need some extra charge. At the time we purchased our rig we didn't even think of a generator. I think it's a personal choice. As for noise, I don't think they're not any noisier than in a motorhome.

I wouldn't be without an extended warranty. Ours has paid off more than what the total cost of the warranty. We've found that the best extended warranty to get is one that your dealer works with.

We spent the entire year from January 2008 up to the present time in Desert Hot Springs, CA. Hottest temperature last summer was 118° F and we made it with only one Dometic AC and our rig is 36 ft. with three slides. I couldn't justify the additional cost. Another thing you need to think about is when you're connected to 30-amp power, two air conditioners will not work. If they both try to start at the same time, the surge will trip the campground breaker.

I'm not qualified to answer this question, however we are glad we didn't have one installed in our rig. We are wired and plumbed for washer and dryer but we use the entire area as a coat closet and are happy to have it. We don't mind having to go to the laundry room when we have to. At least that's what my wife keeps telling me. She likes to go to a laundry and use three washers at one time. Says she gets done much faster than having to wash three loads, one at a time. I agree.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #12
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
To really confuse you I will add my 2 cents worth. Oops, with the market today it is only worth about 50 cents.

1. In almost 5 years of full timing we have replaced our slide awnings once and would not be without them. They do tear easily but duck tape helps on the edges. We ordered them again on the Big Sky we have on order.

2. We have never boon-docked longer than 8 days and our 2000 Honda generator has been all we have needed. Of course we can't use everything at one time and a/c is out. We chose the 2000 because it fits well in the truck and is easy to lift in and out. We plan on adding another Honda if and when we need it but so far that has not happened.

3. We received an extended warranty as part of the deal on our purchase of the 2005 Tana. We have used it several times and we will purchase another one on our Big Sky when it arrives.

4. We also planned on adding a second a/c if needed but that has not happened either. We do not stay south in the summer and one is more than adequate. We did not order a second one in our Big Sky either but if we find ourselves staying longer in Florida in the near future, we will add it then.

5. The first year we went without a washer/dryer and I ruined a bunch of things at the laundry. People have a tendecy to put everything in the park laundry's.. Between dog hair, lipstick and who shrinkage I gave up my space for the Splendide Washer/dryer combo and it worked for me. Our Big Sky has a stackable washer dryer and I hope the H. John Kohl family enjoy the Splendide as much as I did. It is hard to give up the space but more than worth it to us.

Like everyone else say's..... All of us are different. Isn't that great?

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:

We have been fulltiming for 2 years. we have the toppers and have had to pull the slides in one time, no tears or rips yet. I vote yes on this one!

We have a Honda 2000 and have used it twice. We are not big boondockers.

We have one and have not used it yet, but do feel better with it.

We opted for the second air and am glad we did, sometimes, while watching TV, just use the bedroom AC to lessen the noise.

We do not have one and DW does not want one. Heard too many stories of vibrating, flooding and wrinkles. DW would rather do two - three loads at a tie at a laundramat.

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #14
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

...........We chose the 2000 because it fits well in the truck and is easy to lift in and out. We plan on adding another Honda if and when we need it but so far that has not happened........

Helen
adelmoll,

When that time comes, look into the Honda "eu2000i Companion30A" model. It is about $100 more than the standard eu2000i, but there is one advantage in doing so. You don't need to buy the $250 parallel kit with the big box that has the 30 amp receptacle in it, which you have to mount on the front of one of the generators. The Companion model has the 30 amp receptacle built into it, along with the necessary circuitry to pair two units together. All that you need to buy, is the parallel wires themselves, $50 retail ($40 if you like to haggle). Another plus is that you can get Non-CARB compliant units. Political comment deleted.

I got the best deal at my local Honda Motorcycle shop. Just as good of a price as at Mayberrys, which seems to be a popular, low price place to get them from, only I didn't have to deal with shipping them half way across the Country and if I have any warranty issues it will be a local solution. The Companion was $999, the standard one was $899, and the cables were $40. Camping World wants $1,222 (now "on sale" for $1,099) for the Companion, $1,111 (now "on sale" for $1,000)for the standard, and $44.44(now "on sale" for $39.99) for the cables.

Edit:

Just to clarify, the eu2000i Companion 30A model does not put out 30 amps by itself, it just has a 30 amp twist lock receptacle. However, two eu2000i units hooked together in parallel will put out 26.6 amps continuous, and they can peak to 33.4 amps.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:36 PM   #15
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Congratulations on choosing the 3665. We have a 365 Big Sky on order - the same as the 3665. We are still working, but have put about 250 nights in our 2005 3400 and probably 30,000 miles. So, we are probably in between short timers and long timers. We liked the Montana so well we are buying our second one. So, for our opinion.
1. We camp in lots of areas with trees and wouldn't order a 5er without the slide toppers. We had to replace one in five years because we were in a tornado. The trailer in front of us blew over.

2. We have a Honda 2000, we love it. Good idea on the second Honda 2000 30A Companion, didn't know about that

3. We have the extended warranty and have used it once. Will get it for the new unit also.

4. We took a trip down through El Paso in the summer and couldn't keep up with the heat with one. The new unit is coming with 2nd A/C.

5. If we were retired, we would probably get a washer dryer. Our longest trip is 2 weeks, so it wouldn't be necessary now.

Best of luck bobbyd13.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:21 AM   #16
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Congrats on the pending upgrade. Good luck with the "negotiations".
We are not fulltimers, but have been RVing for 14 years, take dozens of trips per year, and are on our 4th unit. So my 2 cents worth:

1. Never had slide awnings, so I cannot speak with authority on them. I will say this - in seven years with slides without awnings, I have had to climb on my roof exactly 3 times with a broom to clean them off. In 14 years with other awnings I have had to bring them many, many times due to high winds causing them to flap and shake the camper (even with de-flappers). I have also spent many hours cleaning awnings to remove mildew and "graying". So I'd say - if you have a broom and are physically capable of climbing onto your roof, save the bucks. If not, then the awnings may be for you.

2. We used to boondock a lot, almost never anymore. Since we are always with hookups, I did not get a generator. I have a portable one I take if we do boondock. Don't see much of a need for one in the basement personally, but it depends on how you'll be camping. Can't say much about the noise. My portable is a bit loud though.

3. I'm still deciding on the extended warranty on the 3400 I just brought home. IMO they are a crap shoot. For every person that gets their money back, another person spends 2 or 3 thousand bucks and never uses it. I have had some pay for themselves and were easy to use, others rarely got used and it was like pulling teeth to get the company to pay. They are all 3rd party insurers - so be careful who you choose. Lots of insurers going under these days.

4. Absolutely would not buy a unit over 30 feet without a second A/C. Fivers have very high ceilings compared to your TT and hold lots of hot air. My last unit was 32'. One summer we towed 4 hours to Myrtle Beach on a 95 degree day. The single AC ran 24 hours straight and the rig was still warm. It never caught up all week. Needless to say the new one has a second AC.

5. No opinion on the washer dryer since we are rarely out more than 10 days at a time. When we start to go out longer, I could see them being very convenient. Campground laundromats are often so busy you can't get in. And trips to other laundromats often make me wish I had a concealed carry permit!

Best of luck!

Butch
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #17
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
We have the 3665RE and love it. Good choice. We bought ours off the lot and it came with slide toppers, combo washer/dryer and second AC. We intend to be long timers in a couple of years so right now, we weekend. DW wanted the washer/dryer combo. We tried it this weekend and it worked fine. We don't care how long it takes, we're not going anywhere in a hurry. We are gen prepped and see no need right now for a generator. If and when we do, I'll probably buy the Honda's. We have the extended warranty. We buy them on our vehicles also. Nowadays, things cost so much to repair, we figured it was good insurance.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #18
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583

We have not yet seen the need to buy the slide toppers. It only takes a few minutes to clean the top of the slides off before closing them. Many times nothing was there to clean off. Downside for us was the extra cost, short life span and extra weight

We have not used a generator with our unit yet other than the stick house 5000 watt version. If we did more boon docking I would get the two Honda 2000 watt versions and use in parallel. They could also serve uses needs home as well.

We didn't purchase Extended Warranty and there have been many times when we wish we did. However, non-warranty expenses have been less than the cost of the Extended warranty policy so far in almost 3 years. Not sure that will be true over the next few years with our experience so far on our late 2006 3400Rl. Whatever you do, make sure the Extended Warranty Policy is one that covers what is needed. There are MOC members who can give good advice on this.

We only have one A/C on our late 2006 3400RL and haven't yet seen the need for the second. We experience 90 degree plus weather in November and late March early April here in AZ. But the one A/C unit has been up to the task so far. Now if one were to spend time in high humidity, high temperature areas that experience and satisfaction might change. Just keep in mind that you will need to be connected to 50 Amp service to run both A/C's at the same time.

We do not have them and the DW is quite happy to go to the nearby in Resort Laundry where we spend 5 months a year. She also was concerned about their limited size. My biggest concern was about the added weight since a late 2006 3400RL doesn't have allot of spare load capacity and our truck is fully loaded as is. So we don't have them and probably never will.

I'm offering you our opinions based on our needs and requirements. YMMV.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:03 AM   #19
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
and yet another opinion. I will try and add some thoughts that haven't been mentioned.

1. slide toppers. No problems with them yet. They can be noisy (3-4 times in 2 years of mostly weekend camping) and once I pulled the slides in due to the wind and fear of ripping them. However, I have had to pull the slides in while it was raining on 5 or 6 occasions, once in a virtual downpour. If you bring all that water into the interior and then drive down the road it is got to so somewhere......

2. We have a portable Kipor 3KW generator and have used it on several occasions. In addition to boon docking we have used ours to:
a. prepare meals while on the road in a rest stop or overnighting at a Walmart (very hot night made nicer!)
b. when the campground lost power.
c. when I work on the unit (prep or mods) since I have to store it in a storage lot, it is nice to have power....
d. The generator, not being installed in the RV has been used at the house for other applications.

3. We have the extended warranty. Haven't had to use it yet but I feel alot better having it. One other thought is you don't have to purchase the warranty right away. Most can be purchased up to a year after the sale, prior to the factory warranty expiring. Good in that it requires less money at the start, bad in that if you procrastinate you can miss the deadline. Also purchasing at time of sale can allow you to include that cost in your loan amount.

4. 2nd A/C. Didn't have it when we brought it, got it after the first summer. DW has allergies so we use A/C alot vice opening windows. Virginia Summers are not overly oppressive but we both felt the one unit didn't handle the load adaquately. We were wired for the second A/C unit but had them diconnect the wire at the back of the electrical panel and wire it up to a heavy duty 20 amp extension cord, that plugs into a standard 3 prong 110v outlet. Now even when we are at a campground with 30 amp service we can run both A/Cs. Even with only one A/C unit you may have trouble on 30 amp running the A/C AND the microwave at the same time. This set up lets us turn off the A/C running on the main power panel while cooking but still have the front A/C providing cooling for the rig. We have a rea kitchen so the down draft from the main A/C is right over the cook and is kind of loud so Lisa really appreciates securing that A/C while cooking and still having the air inside the unit cooled (by the front A/C running on the 20 amp cord). I have a thread under the Mods archive that has photos if you are really interested. the 20 amp cord also is easy to plug into the generator during lunch breaks on the road without having to run a dual 30 amp cord from the rear of the unit up to the truck bed if we want to use the A/C during our meal or check the weather channel while we eat..

5. don't have a washer/dryer so can't opine on that.

Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #20
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
We are each different but here is what works for us.

1. No Slide Toppers. We were undecided right up until the PDI but decided against them. In 3 years with the previous RV I only had to get on the roof 1 time with a broom to sweep and clean before retracting the slide. Of course our 3400RL has 4 slides now so I might have a different opinion after cleaning all 4 slides once or twice.

2. Don't have a Generator but the 10th anv came with the Gen Prep. I will most likely go the Honda route. The only time we boondock is when traveling between point A & B and can not find a place for the night. For the short periods of time we will need power when not hooked up I figure we can get by on a inverter.

3. When purchasing our 3400RL two weeks ago I decided against the extended warranty. I have personally found that with the law of averages I am better off with out the warranties. It also gives me the flexibility if something breaks I can upgrade or change what was originally there vs having to go along with the terms of the warranty.

4. Yes on the 2nd AC. My previous unit was 30ft. We live in TX. Vacation is always someplace where the 2nd AC is not needed but we felt it was a must for the 3400. A few years ago we stopped in Carlsbad Caverns for 2 nights. The afternoon we arrived it was 110* in mid June. It was so hot that the single A/C took several hours to cool off the 30' trailer. We even took the dog with us when we went to town because it was still so warm in the trailer.

5. We did purchase the all in one Washer/Dryer on the 3400. 3 Weeks is the longest we are away for any given time. We figure it will allow us to run a quick load as we head out the door with out having to spend the afternoon waiting for a machine at the park laundry.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote