Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2008, 01:06 PM   #1
cjdressler

M.O.C. #8808
Reese vs, B&W

We have just ordered a new Mountaineer 345DBQ. It is our first fifth wheel, so we need to have a hitch installed. The dealer we are getting the unit from uses Reese hitches and would install a Reese 16K for us. But, I've been looking at the B&W Turnover/Companion set-up, and I'm actually leaning toward it. Does anyone have any feedback or experiences with the B&W (or the Reese) that might help me make up my mind? Thanks in advance.

cjdressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
If the turnover gives you a clean bed and you have that requirement go for it. I have the 20K Reese which does a great job but the bed rails do clutter the bed for major hauling. If I was in your shoes with a new family I would want the truck for utility use as well as 5th hauling so again recommend the turnover.
Welcome to the forum, congratulations on the new Mountaineer and good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have the B&W turnover ball with the Companion 5th wheel hitch. It's doing a good job and very well made. This is the 3rd steel hitch we have owned and by for the best, the Reese, and the Valley/Huskey were also good but the B&W is the best (IMO). We also owned the Trailer Saver air ride hitch, and if your in need of a Air ride hitch the Trailer Saver would be what I would recomend. The B&W is very simple and very safe. Good Luck with your choice. GBY......
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:17 AM   #4
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
After helping my friend hook up with his cumbersome hitch last weekend I wouldn't trade my companion hitch for antything. His hitch was hard to get locked and took several tries to get it to snap closed. I can back up and be sure its secure in 2 minutes. It took us a good 10 minutes to hook his up.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:24 AM   #5
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
We just bought a new Mountaineer 345DBQ two weeks ago! We spent a week in it and loved it! We have only had a camper for 6 months. We traded in a Damon Hornet 5ver.
For your question I would go with the B&W! I have the Reese 15K pro series now. It has worked well for us so far in the limited times we have used it but I totally dislike the rails in the bottom of the bed.
My truck is old so the pro series was a universal fit which means it does not fit anything well I think
If I keep my truck I will look into seing if I could get a B&W that would work.
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:07 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Chris, If I needed a "flat bed" I would have gone with the B&W, since I don't I went with the Trailer Saver air hitch as I want to keep my trailer for the next ten years so I wanted the best. This is my opinion and we all know what they say about opinions.....Good luck and welcome to "The Best Darned Forum o the WWW".
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
On my last truck I had a Reese type hitch by Husky. It was a good hitch and did the job. It was difficult to get it out of the truck and then there were the rails. On this new truck, I decided on the B&W Turnover Ball with the Companion Hitch. To me it is daylight and dark. The clean bed plus the very secure hook up ranks it well above the Reese.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:18 PM   #8
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Not to argue with anyone but, Reese has a Signature series hitch that will also give you a clean bed (almost). If you will do a search on the Signature series by Reese or Draw-tite you will find several threads explaining the pros and cons. You may be able to finagle a price break from you dealer on a package deal. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:44 PM   #9
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
I have the campaninon hitch I think it is great. Always locks right in the first time. It also always releases even under pressure. Plus the advanage of the flat bed. I also have the Bed Rug installed and it sets right on top of that too. I have a roll top cover and it does not stick up and block that if I want to close it when not hitched up. Bought mine from tweety's on the net and installed it myself. I am handy but not mechanic.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:46 PM   #10
cjdressler

M.O.C. #8808
Thanks to all who responded. I have an appointment to have the B&W installed next week. Thanks again.

Chris
cjdressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:32 AM   #11
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Good choice you will be happy with the B&W. We are back in West Memphis from Texas, and just set the (SOB) down in about 10 minutes LOVE the Hydraulic side to side leveling system and the Hydraulic jacks. And of course the B&W unhooks so smooth and easy. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote